• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wet suit lube

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

portinfer

Aquatic shopper...
Jul 3, 2003
What non-harming shampoo / soap is good for slipping into a wetsuit ?

I was using washing up liquid (for dishes) - but have found that this is not good on the hands/feet.

Anyone use a non-soap ? Something like olive oil ? (yeah, yeah add onions, tomatoes and marinate for two hours)

Cheers for any advice - Ed

I use conditioner mixed with water. There's a non-scented one out there called "Pure Essentials"

Hi Ed

I use standard shampoo. It seems to work great with no ill-effects on my skin, and leaves my suit smelling nice !!:=)

I normally look for the 'large budget' type containers of normal shampoo, otherwise it gets quite costly !

Jeff

The absolute best :)

Hi Ed:
You'll think I'm kidding you when I tell you the best ever wet suit lube (and I'm presuming your suit is a tight fit)
----> K-Y and water, mixed in a quart bottle, about 1/2 and 1/2....no foolin', it is non-reactive w/neoprene, is slippery as deer guts on a doorknob, and doesn't smell. If your suit needs to be pulled around for the elbows to fit, etc., this minimizes tugging and diminishes the resulting wear and tear.
I learned this trick from Lavon and Jeff at last year's Ab-Grab. :cool:
First we all yukked it up at their expense....then I tried it and became a believer. It rinses off in a jiffy after the dive.
:eek: If you're not up for doing that, any shampoo/conditioner combo works well when mixed with warm water.

I do the same. bit of shampoo and warm water.. or if i can brave it dunk myself or the suit in the sea first.. this works quite well when you forget your lube. My only advise is dont use too much, and dont buy special made stuff.. it costs a fortune and a friend had some react with his neoprene glue and his suit fell to bits!
Good luck
Joe

I don't think olive oil is a good idea, it may turn into sludge or paste and get gooey :( over time, very hard to clean up. I like to use a 10% hair conditioner/shampoo soluion (90% water) that way it doesn't get too chemical.

Adrian

what the...

would you mind telling me what "K-Y" is or means or implies for I truly don´t get it if it was a joke.
I´ld sure like to know though, cause my suit doesn´t slide anymore.
It´s an elios sandwich 4mm smoothskin/opencell and it used to be perfect. But since I dived deeper it doesn´t slide anymore.
I used to be able to slide in using only water. Now I need shampoo...

K-Y jelly is personal lubricant. Is that descriptive enough, or do you need more? ;)

My wetsuit has that smooth foil type stuff on the inside and
I use Aquaseal silicone spray on it after it drys. Works great
and I use it on the inside of my fins also. I have 60 dives on my
current bottle and it's still 1/3 full. It's $4.29 at Sport Chalet where I buy it.

Last edited:
Ahhh... that stuff.
Great!!!
I always have lots of that around the house.
Thanks...

erasmuspaxi
Berlin

Originally posted by donmoore
K-Y jelly is personal lubricant. Is that descriptive enough, or do you need more? ;)

Originally posted by erasmuspaxi
Great!!!
I always have lots of that around the house.

rofl

Either there was a communication/translation slip, or you Berliners swing a little easier than us Americanos :).

Very....er.....unabashed.

Ted

@ Ted : You have never been to Berlin have you ?
Yes we do swing and alike a lot easier...
;)

erasmus

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT