• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wetsuit Care

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BladeRunner

Mud Puddle Diver
May 20, 2002
Hello I just want get some info on wetsuit care. I just bought my first freediving wetsuit and what to make sure that it's taken good care of. I want it to have nice heathy coat, long life, nice bright teeth and healthy skin and bones:duh
I bought some of that wetsuit wash, so do I just through it in the tub with some wetsuit wash, wash rinse and hang dry or can just chuck it in the old machine then hang dry. It has lyrca outer skin and lyra covered TI coat inside. Any help I would appreciate guys and dolls!

Blade man Out :D

what did' ya get>? what did' ya get>?

for me, i just rinse my wetsuit out thoroughly and hang dry. i use baby shampoo as suit lube so it does a fairly good job of keeping the suit clean. if i have been diving quite a bit (when we go on diving trips) i usually soak all (mom's and pop's) the suits in the tub with some really soft soap. i then scrub them gently with a brush and hang them to dry on some semi custom hangers (wider shoulder supports me and pop made out of wood for the purpose)

hope this helps

im sure others will have better ideas

Wash it in the tub with just fresh water and when it gets a bit ripe add a smidge of soap. When it gets really ripe, add some vinegar. Wrap a towel over the arms of a wood hanger to give the shouldars some support and hangdry in the shade. Keep it away from the heater, the sunlight and sunscreen.

That's it.

sven

Nah, the wetsuit wash is fine, just a bit more than you need unless it's one of theose plush suits with the terry cloth interior that seemed to trap every friggin bit of BO you could have. :waterwork

For your lube, go to some health food store and score a bottle of unscented hair conditioner. Throw about five or so good spurts (oh man...) into a squirt bottle with water to fill and you'll be ready for much slippery fun, plus the stuff will act as a suit wash too when you rinse the thing out.

sven

sven thanks I was first using powders but I live near Atlanta, ga so the humidy made it tricky putting the powder on get the suit on before start sweating again. I'm just kinda of worried about developing skin problems from using a conditioner all the time with my suit.

Blade Out

Last edited:
I use baby oil and water.. my skin is soft like the skin of a baby after using my wetsuit :)

Keep the oil for the nightstand!

STAY AWAY FROM ANY OIL!!

The neoprene doesn't get along well with oil. 'Course if you're looking for a shorty suit from your Farmer John, well then go right ahead.

Don't sweat using conditioner, especially the unscented stuff, and besides you're diluting the daylights out of it. You want a lube that is water soluble, so when some water does leak, and it will, it just helps the suit stick better to you, not an oil that will stay there all day making the suit squirmy and telling the seams to take a hike.

sven

What am I reading? No oil.. who have told you that? I have used oil for 3 years, and my suit is like it was when it was new. What would be the problem?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT