• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wetsuit decision for snorkeling and free diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Sharkwater82

Feb 9, 2015
Hey there,

i am looking for an wetsuit meeting the following requirements/conditions:

- easy to put on (without soap)
- for the watertempature range from 22 to 28 celsius (bahamas, egypt etc.)
- not to cold and not to warm for snorkeling and freediving (up to 1-3 hours at a time)

My first 2 thoughts:
Cressi Apnea 3.5 mm (Internal layer in metallic black, waist trouser)
Mares Sport 5.5 mm (double-lined 5.5 mm neoprene, long john)

Is it really easy to put it on with the metallic black layer?
Would be 5.5 too warm for 28 celsius?

Thank you for some opinions.

Kind regards,
Sharkwater82

For me a 5mm would be too warm. I'm very happy with my Salvimar 2.5mm Training (very flexible and easy to put on dry) for warmer water. I use my 5mm down to about 5 degrees ;)

5mm is definitely too much for warm waters like in Egypt. I used Elios 5mm couple of times in 24'C water and it wasn't very pleasant, I felt too warm and finning only made it worse. For 24'C and more I found Orca Equip perfect (with Orca swimming cap), very comfortable unlike 5mm. You could last like 2 hours or even more. So a 3mm will be fine (full suit of course).

Triathlon wetsuits have nylon on the inside so no need for soap and are smooth on the outside so you can dive very easily. They are not 3mm all over, but thinner on arms, legs and thicker on thigh/belly - so they are very easy to compensate with weights, I needed just 3kg and it felt perfect. For 5mm you need like 7-8kg.

I just wish there was some way to buy some separate slick skin hood to use with my Orca covering also neck.

Btw avoid shorties, even in 28'C. In places like Egypt it is a quick way to get sunburned. They also leak a lot. Big difference vs full suits.

Great, thank you for your opinions.

I`m going for an 3 to 3.5 mm full with metalite/blacklite lining so some water is enough for putting on.
It is also warm enought for long freediving and snorkeling sessions in water from 22-28 degree celsius.

I will try the cressi apnea 3.5 - can get it for around 160 dollar.

I still say 3.5 mm is too much. In 22 C I have to let water in to my suit almost constantly, if I use 3.5 mm. In 28 C wearing it would lead to heat shock. Especially if you snorkel it is bound to B HOT even in the 22 C. You do realize, it is not the same neoprene the market suits are made of? OTOH I am from a cold area &dive in 0 C water also, maybe you handle heat differently.

I can say that in Orca Equip in 24'C I had no need to let water in and temperature wise it felt perfect. But triathlon wetsuits are colder than freediving. It may be a better choice to get a triathlon wetsuit instead. Just don't get scuba wetsuit, they let more water in. Triathlon wetsuits are for swimming so they are tighter.

Hey there,

i am looking for an wetsuit meeting the following requirements/conditions:

- easy to put on (without soap)
- for the watertempature range from 22 to 28 celsius (bahamas, egypt etc.)
- not to cold and not to warm for snorkeling and freediving (up to 1-3 hours at a time)

My first 2 thoughts:
Cressi Apnea 3.5 mm (Internal layer in metallic black, waist trouser)
Mares Sport 5.5 mm (double-lined 5.5 mm neoprene, long john)

Is it really easy to put it on with the metallic black layer?
Would be 5.5 too warm for 28 celsius?

Thank you for some opinions.

Kind regards,
Sharkwater82
You will absolutely overheat in a 5.5 mm suit in 28 C /82F. I know because I live in South. Florida

2.5mm - 3,5mm is perfect for Egypt. No more than that. Even in february the water is at least 22 C and I found it warm occasionally in a 3,5 mm Salvimar open cell. Met a guy in a 7mm. He was letting water in all the time. Apparently he went by scuba recommendations.
If you're mainly snorkeling 3,5 mm could get warm depending on how active you are, but you do appreciate a snug suit with a hood once you get out of the water and the cold wind is blowing, which it does in winter.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT