• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wetsuit Fit - do I have a weird body shape?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Davos

Apr 7, 2017
So I bought a new wetsuit but the fit isn't great, there is a lot of room around the neck area. This is the third suit I've had with this sort of issue - hoods just don't seem to fit me well, is my neck too long?

My last suit was a Rob Allen 2.5mm Thin Skin in large, but I had to sell it because I had dropped a bit of weight and it wasn't fitting me well. So my new suit is the Rob Allen Digi-Camo in medium. I'm slightly too tall for a medium, but far too slim for a large.

Still the fit leaves a lot to be desired. It's not very tight, and there's a lot of space around the neck. But nothing seems to fit me that well, so the question is, is it me?

I'm limited for options where I live, and typically need to order things online, and my funds are pretty limited too, so I'm pretty stoked to have this suit, but I would like to know if this is just my body type, or an issue with certain wetsuit brands or something I need not worry about. Or maybe I'm not fitting it right?

I've attached a photo, it's not great but you can probably see it's a little loose.

Thanks in advance!

8bf68594619a9397742e1583298876e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Davos From my experience each brand's suit(s) fit differently for many different types of bodies. If both Rob Allen suits you've owned haven't fit to your liking I'd recommend checking out some of the other brands. Not sure if you have any diving shops near you but if you do most will let you try on the wetsuits to see which brand fit you best. If you don't have any near you I'd do some searching on some of the bigger brands or try emailing them about how the fitment on their suits are.

Reactions: Davos
Thanks for the reply. We're pretty limited in my part of the world, at least for freedive gear, but that sounds like good advice.

I'm thinking of getting a custom suit next time, it might save some hassle and it doesn't appear like the cost is vastly different- give or take a hundred or so dollars.

Reactions: ishuyi
Thanks for the reply. We're pretty limited in my part of the world, at least for freedive gear, but that sounds like good advice.

I'm thinking of getting a custom suit next time, it might save some hassle and it doesn't appear like the cost is vastly different- give or take a hundred or so dollars.

I can't give any knowledge as far as custom suits. However, most dive sites allow refunds so you can always return a suit if it doesn't for for another size/brand.

Reactions: Davos
There are some bodies that need a custom suit and I have one. I have a long torso, short legs, and a huge head. Even if a suit fit the rest of my body, the hood that came with it would give me a headache and cause me to bite off the tabs in my snorkel mouthpiece. I suffered with stock suits for a long time, but about 20 years ago I got my first custom suit and I've never looked back. In fact I got my latest custom suit last week.

Your body may not be as weird as mine, but I'm just warning that no stock suit may be perfect for you.

There are some bodies that need a custom suit and I have one. I have a long torso, short legs, and a huge head. Even if a suit fit the rest of my body, the hood that came with it would give me a headache and cause me to bite off the tabs in my snorkel mouthpiece. I suffered with stock suits for a long time, but about 20 years ago I got my first custom suit and I've never looked back. In fact I got my latest custom suit last week.

Your body may not be as weird as mine, but I'm just warning that no stock suit may be perfect for you.

Thanks for commenting. I definitely have long legs and I think I have a long neck too. I'm also a bit slim compared to most guys my height (based on size charts). I think custom is going to be my best option, short of physically trying on every brand.

Thanks for the input :)

Reactions: ishuyi
Thanks for commenting. I definitely have long legs and I think I have a long neck too. I'm also a bit slim compared to most guys my height (based on size charts). I think custom is going to be my best option, short of physically trying on every brand.

Thanks for the input :)

Yea, best of luck on your journey. I have the same problem my current suit is quite loose on my shoulders for some odd reason. What I've noticed if it seems to get tighter in the water with compression. Anyways I hope your able to get a suit that fits your needs but doesn't break your bank!

Reactions: ishuyi and Davos
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT