• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wetsuit Superelastic Inside, will water get in ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

FreediveQuebec

Jul 3, 2003
Hi there.

I want to buy my new wetsuit today. As many before, I read all threads about Elios Tailored suits, and sure I'm going with one of them.

I do freedive 2 times a week in lakes and my personnal goal is 45 meters deep (currently 31). I also spearfish once a week in muddy lakes, not much clifs or corral... I'm in Quebec, Canada.

The thing is, I would realy like to go with Smoothskin outside and superelastic nylon lyning inside so it is more strong. (5mm, Heiwa low density). Elios said that it would then be reversible depending on what I'm doing.

BUT, when I need smoothskin outside, I'M REALY AFRAID about having the water coming in too easily since nylon will be on my skin instead of opencell...

1. Should I worry... will it realy get in ?
2. Should I instead go with a classic Smoothskin/Opencell ?
3. Can I ask them for Smoothskin outside and Superelastic nylon inside with opencell at ankles, wrists and Head so water doesn't get in ?

Thanks to help me fast,

David

this is my opinion... take it or leave it. I really like my superelastic/closed cell 3mm suit, a pleasure to put on, very little, and I mean VERY little water exchange, not an issue. It does let some water in compared to my open/closed cell 5mm suit which lets in no water. Maybe closed or open cell seams at the wrists/ankles/hood would be good, but in my book they're not necessary.... nice though maybe. The fit of the suits is so good that water just doesn't flow through.
Fred

I to have a 3mm superelastic & a 5mm Freedown Elios suit.
The Suit is exelent .
My freedown 5mm elios is to very-very elastic and
its lets no water in BUT in the same time it is more fragile and not easy to put on & off.

If it is your first tailormade suit go with superelastic and get a west to for cold days

Lambis

Last edited:
I'm going with 5mm, as I already have another wetsuit (With nylon both sides) I think I'll be able to put it over in case the water is too cold.

Good to know many of you like the superelastic inside, so I hope I'm making the good decision !

OK, so I jut placed my order (see below) and will keep you posted. Since it is a reversible wetsuit, I'll be able to test both sides ad let you know about water coming in or not.

I've also asked for some open-cell for wrists, ankles and hood, we'll see if they can do it.

-
------
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Guidelines :

- Complete suit Tailored Made (Closed Jacket with Incorporated Hood + High Waist Pants)
- Heiwa low density 5mm
- Smoothskin Black Outside
- Superelastic lining Black Inside (So reversible)
- If possible, I would like to have some Opencell instead of superelastic for Wrists, Ankles and Hood so water does not get in too easily.

Price : 145 Euros + 55 euros for shipping to Canada
---------------------------------------------------------------------
------
-

Just received my Elios-Sub wetsuit with 40 samples of neophrene.

Amazing fit, very easy to put on with the superelastic inside, and it is realy, realy, I mean realy elastic. I did compare samples of super-elastic nylon VS open cell, and the difference is barely noticable.

It is nice to have a suit I can reverse depending on my activities, and as many of you said, there is almost no water coming in when I have the nylon inside.

If anyone from Eastern Canada would like to see samples or have suggestion for a tailored made suit, let me know !

Yes. I think this camo is called 'pelagos'. Shouldn't be too hard to find it on Elios' site.

David,
Congrats on your suit! My elios suit just arrived now, (open cell inside, superelastic outside) and I love it as well.

Hope to see you sometime this summer!

Aaron

How does the suit look like, did they make some smooth skin as waterstops or is it fine anyway?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT