• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pyromallat

May 2, 2016
So i was looking through the internet and i realized there was a lack of guides for choosing wetsuit thickness for freediving.
Most posts were for scuba diving suits which we all know are different from freediving suits in purpose.
So i decided to make this post on my opinion about how thick wetsuits should be in different water temperatures.
- 28+ Celsius 1.5 mm
- 28 to 24 Celsius 3 mm
- 24 to 20 Celsius 5 mm
- 20 Celsius and below 7 mm or more
I would very much like to hear the opinion of members here.

As a rough guide it's about right, but body composition, suit type, quality and fit and personal suseptability to cold make it a very individual choice.

- 28+ Celsius - No wetsuit. Long sleeve shirt and long shorts to prevent sunburns. I also use a Lycra hood. Good for 4 hours
- 28 to 24 Celsius 2 - 3mm
- 24 to 20 Celsius 5 mm jacket and 3 mm pants
- 20 Celsius and below 5 mm
I used a 6.5mm suit in 8 degrees for 30 minutes. Was sufficient, needed 2-finger gloves.
You also have take into consideration a thermocline. I use a 5mm jacket/3mm pants in a 22-24 degrees water but when it is 16 degrees on the bottom I can feel it too well.
All rubber-in nylon-out.
But it is very individual and it is impossible to have just one suit for all scenarios. You can have a short-sleeve 3mm shirt to make it more flexible but unless you dive at the roughly same temperature you will need more than one suit.

- 28+ Celsius - No wetsuit. Long sleeve shirt and long shorts to prevent sunburns. I also use a Lycra hood. Good for 4 hours
- 28 to 24 Celsius 2 - 3mm
- 24 to 20 Celsius 5 mm jacket and 3 mm pants
- 20 Celsius and below 5 mm
I used a 6.5mm suit in 8 degrees for 30 minutes. Was sufficient, needed 2-finger gloves.
You also have take into consideration a thermocline. I use a 5mm jacket/3mm pants in a 22-24 degrees water but when it is 16 degrees on the bottom I can feel it too well.
All rubber-in nylon-out.
But it is very individual and it is impossible to have just one suit for all scenarios. You can have a short-sleeve 3mm shirt to make it more flexible but unless you dive at the roughly same temperature you will need more than one suit.
Personally i dont like lycras, i like to keep myself well protected from rocks and stings and i do get cold pretty easily and it ruins my dive specially my bottom time.
But i guess youre right its different for everyone.
Plus the thermocline here gets a little wacky... 24 on the surface and 16 on the bottom!
I do own three wetsuits 1.5 3 and a 5 and im looking to get a 7 since im getting shivers after a couple hours of spearfishing.

Personally i dont like lycras, i like to keep myself well protected from rocks and stings and i do get cold pretty easily and it ruins my dive specially my bottom time.
But i guess youre right its different for everyone.
Plus the thermocline here gets a little wacky... 24 on the surface and 16 on the bottom!
I do own three wetsuits 1.5 3 and a 5 and im looking to get a 7 since im getting shivers after a couple hours of spearfishing.
I guess 7mm top and 5mm bottom would suit you well. Order a custom jacket for a perfect fit.

I guess 7mm top and 5mm bottom would suit you well. Order a custom jacket for a perfect fit.
I was thinking of getting a custom smooth skin wetsuit but people keep telling me they're really fragile. And thats coming from people that always wear smooth skin. So ill probably stick with a off the shelf nylon outer since i dont think its worth the extra cost of getting it custom made unless its smooth skin.

I use 5mm in 8 to 15 deg.C waters. 7mm is too floaty, and too restrictive to my movements. I say, if you are cold with 5mm at 20 degrees water, no amount of extra thickness will be enough for you.

Ac
I was thinking of getting a custom smooth skin wetsuit but people keep telling me they're really fragile. And thats coming from people that always wear smooth skin. So ill probably stick with a off the shelf nylon outer since i dont think its worth the extra cost of getting it custom made unless its smooth skin.
Actually a smooth skin is more flexible and thus more forgiving if it is off thr shelf. Nylon is more restrictive and requires a custom fit unless your body type is standard.

Ac

Actually a smooth skin is more flexible and thus more forgiving if it is off thr shelf. Nylon is more restrictive and requires a custom fit unless your body type is standard.
Any recommendations for any specific brand of smoothskin wetsuit?

Any recommendations for any specific brand of smoothskin wetsuit?
I recommend Forza-Tre sandwich from Polosub (Forza Tre Link). I am using their nylon externally lined suits (I do not care for smoothskin), but my buddy is ecstatic about his Forza-Tre. He says that it is warmer than nylon one. He hunts in 20-24 degrees water and uses a 3mm jacket and pants. My 5mm jacket (with nylon) is 7 years old and still going strong. Polosub is a king of wetsuits.

Reactions: pyromallat
I use 5mm in 8 to 15 deg.C waters. 7mm is too floaty, and too restrictive to my movements. I say, if you are cold with 5mm at 20 degrees water, no amount of extra thickness will be enough for you.

To expand upon this, as a skinny mofo when I was living in Australia my 5mm was perfect for around 16deg, but once it was around 20 it was too hot for me, I could only wear the top and used normal swim shorts on the bottom.
Being in Canada now, using my 5mm nets me around an hour in 12deg, but about 20-30min in 7deg.

So my 2cents with the temps I've experienced:

5mm- 12 (possible but not optimal)-16 deg.C
7mm- 7 deg.C and below

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT