• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wetsuit thicknesses

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

KateM

May 16, 2015
Hey all,

I have a general question about choosing wetsuit thicknesses. What temperatures require what wetsuit thicknesses?

I have a 5mm suit that I I have used at our local (chilly) pool and on dive trips to San Diego. I am wanting to start diving locally here in Colorado this summer but as cold as the water is with the snow melt I'm not thinking 5mm is going to cut it. 7mm? Dry suit? Thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

Hmm, it depends on so many factors.
Open cells beats lined suits when it comes to warmth, and not all linings are the same when it comes to temperature preservation. How good the fit of the suit is is also the factor, the tighter the fit the less water circulation there is. Most people never have a need to go thicker then 5, because the problem is not with how cold you will get, it's mostly about cold water coming in contact with the ears which can be a serious problem.
So, if your fit isn't as good, get a better fitting suit.
If that is not the case, go for the 7mm, or switch to open cell if that is not what you're using.
Also buy socks and gloves if you're not wearing them since you loose a lot of heat through feet and hands as well.
Epsealon has a temperature guide in their catalog so take a look (it's for their open cell suits)

I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough to advise you not to dive in certain temperatures but please be extra careful when diving in extreme cold waters.
Peace.

Reactions: Mr. X and KateM
I like Major's response. I would add a few things to consider:

1. You will need to carry more lead if using a 7mm suit.

2. Not all neoprenes are the same. E.g. the fairly stiff 5mm Ecoline neoprene of my Elios suit is at least as warm as my much stretchier 5.5mm Mares wetsuit, because the latter becomes thinner as it stretches & it probably compresses more at depth.

3. People's needs vary. Some people feel the cold much more than others for various reasons. For example, coming from a hot climate, low metabolism, low body fat.

4. It is possible, sometimes, to get 6mm neoprene.

5. As Major already explained wetsuit style can make a big difference. A well fitted spearo style open-cell wetsuit, with hood and either high waist, very high waist or long-john pants is likely to be much warmer than a steamer surf wetsuit or a lined, zip-up 2-piece Scuba wetsuit of similar thickness.

6. Major mentioned neoprene socks and gloves. Their thickness too makes a difference. I have had cold hands in Summer using super-stretch 2mm gloves but warm hands in winter wearing 3 or 4mm gloves from the same company (Beuchat). I generally wear thicker socks than gloves - need some feel for spearing - but it is important not to restrict circulation by forcing overly thick socks into tight fins; as that would make your feet colder not warmer. BTW your feet may shrink in cold conditions, mine do.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT