• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wetsuits for young kids?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

1 Tadpole

I'd rather play than work
Jul 27, 2002
My six year old son wants to get in the water! Nothing knarly though, just floating and looking at sealife. He really loves the water and has expressed a desire to go "diving" with his old man.

Knowing from experience that a well fitted zipper-less, two-piece suit with an attached hood makes a huge difference, I'd like to make sure it's a good experience for him and that he doesn't freeze in our 50 degree sheltered water here in Seattle.

So I'm setting out to look for a suit for my future dive buddy. One that's warm, and durable. I won't say that cost isn't an issue, but I'm willing to pay a bit more for the right one. Would custom be a complete waste of money?

Does it make any sense to have "smooth" on the inside or would I just be looking at endless time spent on repairing fingernail damage?

Would a 5mm be warm enough for a lean body in 50 degree water? I think 7mm would probably be too restricting. I know 3mm wouldn't be warm enough.

What about mitts vs. gloves? I could just see the battle to get gloves on his hands! Mitts probably?

Would it make sense to tape the glove/bootie overlap areas to keep the water circulation to a minimum?

If any of you have any advice, opinions or can point me to some good suits I'd really appreciate it.

Dive on!

I am a strong advocate of wetsuits on kids...their bodies can't regulate temps as well as an adult....so it REALLY makes a big difference for them.....

For someone that young you might have to look for a custom made hood, but bigger companies like O'neill make kids sized full suits, booties and maybe gloves (but I could be wrong on the gloves)........

If they don't have a suit that is heavy enough, think about a spring suit to wear over or under the full suit.....

And it's great that you are getting your little one in the water and sharing the experience !!!!!

When I was 8 my dad bought me a custom wetsuit, and it was great. I loved being in the water as much then as I do know, and a wetsuit was a brilliant idea.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT