• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wetsuits that do not strap under your crotch?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

HooSlayer

Oct 20, 2018
Are there freediving suits where instead of strapping around and under your crotch from the front then buttoning on the back beaver tail, the top perhaps bottons its front into the front of the pants and the back of the top bottons onto the back of the pants?

Would there be a hydrodynamic disadvantage to this design? I have a wetsuit I am thinking to be customized into this design but also want to only buy suits like this in the future.

I know there are just full surfer style 1 piece suits made by some free diving brands that just zipper up the back too and avoid the crotch strap...do these have any pitfalls for free diving or performance issues? I use a 7mm suit though so I don't think this surfer style would be warm enough for me.

This is being done because I have problems with my pelvic floor muscle and the crushing of my privates and pelvic floor by the straps on freediviving suits causes pain after diving.

Thanks.

Reactions: Mr. X
surfer style one piece suits have advanced by light years in the warmth they provide. They are still nowhere near a good freediving suit. Finding one that would work in your situation will be tough

Good luck.

I don't see why a standard beaver tail design would be any tighter in the crotch than the inseam of the pants unless your torso is too long for the suit and it isn't a custom fit. In regards to a one piece with a zipper, I feel there is more of a wedgie effect as the nonelastic zipper makes the top and bottom stretch more while duck diving or bending forward.

Yes, the crotch strap seems like a bad design for men. You are supposed to keep your testes below body temperature yet they become the most heavily insulated part of your body with the normal beaver tail crotch strap.

I recall seeing a spearo suit where the top Velcro'd to the pants front and back - which seems like it might be a reasonable solution to the above problem and wedgie effects. It doesn't seem to have caught on yet though.

Loosing weight or getting a longer/larger jacket might help provide more clearance "down there in the old hometown". I think my Elios suit might have a bit of adjustment via a cord on the frog button(s) - TBC.

Yes, the crotch strap seems like a bad design for men. You are supposed to keep your testes below body temperature yet they become the most heavily insulated part of your body with the normal beaver tail crotch strap.

I recall seeing a spearo suit where the top Velcro'd to the pants front and back - which seems like it might be a reasonable solution to the above problem and wedgie effects. It doesn't seem to have caught on yet though.

Loosing weight or getting a longer/larger jacket might help provide more clearance "down there in the old hometown". I think my Elios suit might have a bit of adjustment via a cord on the frog button(s) - TBC.
Any chance you remember the brand you describe of the velcro suit. I'm gonna do the same thing with buttons I think with my suit.

My only worry is losing a psuedo water tight seal in the crotch area and im diving in northern California where it can be extremely cold so i worry water will enter easier with this design I want.

Any chance you remember the brand you describe of the velcro suit. I'm gonna do the same thing with buttons I think with my suit.

My only worry is losing a psuedo water tight seal in the crotch area and im diving in northern California where it can be extremely cold so i worry water will enter easier with this design I want.
I have one. Salvimar.

You can order any custom wetsuit with velcro closure in your top. And as Mr. X said, Elios "alamaros" have a cord that can be adjusted. If I had to wear a 7 mm wetsuit, it would be a custom made open cell/smooth skin wetsuit without any doubt.

I don't recall, might have been Beuchat.

I don't think a crotch strap is required for a "watertight" fit. I have forgotten to secure my crotch strap on at least one occasion and it made very little difference. My suit was made to measure, so a good fit. Many off the shelf suits are very stretchy, so should fit closely too.

Have a velcro fastener fitted to each side on the hips. Make sure the soft fluffy part is on the jacket and the hooky part on the pants, otherwise the hooky part scratches your underarm when you pull on the jacket. In Cape Town, Coral Wetsuits do this for me when I have a tailor made suit fitted

Have a velcro fastener fitted to each side on the hips. Make sure the soft fluffy part is on the jacket and the hooky part on the pants, otherwise the hooky part scratches your underarm when you pull on the jacket. In Cape Town, Coral Wetsuits do this for me when I have a tailor made suit fitted
Could i trouble you to post a picture? I'm going to be having a wetsuit tailor make this modification and I'm interested in considering this design.

I had thought of a velcrome solution then i noted your message.Perhaps a D.I.Y soltion doudle tier velcrom for secure adhesion with a storm sure glue to secure the velcro to suit .Put on suit then chalk white area take of suit then apply glue and velcro

Some times i wear 2 elastic belts one with wieghts of lead one belt nil weight thinner space diameter this helps create a wet seel as on the 7mm suit the belt expand then retract on hip area great idea in winter less inflow of cold water. I also use weight harness

Some times i wear 2 elastic belts one with wieghts of lead one belt nil weight thinner space diameter this helps create a wet seel as on the 7mm suit the belt expand then retract on hip area great idea in winter less inflow of cold water. I also use weight harness
Interesting, I hadn't consider the weight belt but my suit was made to measure and usually doesn't seem to let water in. I don't think the belt is a critical factor for me but I can't recall diving in my suit without my weight belt so maybe it is a factor!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT