• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wetsuits

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Raul

Oct 16, 2001
I am looking to get myself a good wetsuit for freediving, but I am not sure which way to go. Is there any difference in wetsuits for scuba and ones for freediving, and where can I find a good freediving wetsuit?

Hi Raul,

The big difference between a scuba wet suit and a freedive wet suit is the degree to which it stretches. Most scuba suits have relatively dense neoprene, and two layers of fabric on them.
This makes them quite strong, but not very elastic. A good sport freedive suit will be made of very stretchy neoprene, which has more N2 in the material, and typically only one layer of fabric. The performance suits do not have any frabric layers, which makes them very stretchy, but quite fragile. The more stretchy suit will allow more range of motion, and most importantly a
more complete inhalation. There a many freedive suit makers; Omer, Mares, Picasso, and Sporasub to name a few. Many posts on this list, have in the past, indicated that Picasso is the best. I hope this helps a bit.

Best wishes,

Freediver48

Hi Raul,

I've had a lot of suits over the years and am currently using an altered Picasso commercial suit, skin-in/nylon out, and am really happy with it's flexibility and resistance to abrasion. The only downside is that the rubber that gives it it's flexibility is also very easy to compress, so at depth, you really know what the temp is after a while! The temp here the other day was 45 F. As a freedive suit for work around rocks and the like here in Northern California, it's a good tough suit. I also use it for tanking from my paddleboard, but after an hour under, I'm glad to see the sun...

I've several friends that are using Omer and Esclapaz suits and they're pretty happy as well. I don't know where you're at, but Blue Water hunter in Santa Barbara, CA make very good suits custom'd for freediving. Tell Andy that Sven sent ya. Regardless of who makes the suit, make real sure that the person helping you with it can make the alterations almost certainly necessary with an off the rack suit. An additional $50-$100 spent altering it is going to make your hours spent in the water a lot more enjoyable.

Peace.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT