• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wetsuits?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

StretchArmStron

Jan 19, 2004
This topic has probably been raised a million times...I just didn't do the best search on it...

What is the best priced wetsuit on the market right now? Being a poor college kid I don't have alot to blow on a suit but do want a good one.

looking for a 2.5 or 3mm suit as the charleston waters are not very cold.

any help would be great.

--thanks--

I saw one on Ebay recently.

You could also check out the DB scuba store attached to this site. Depending upon shipping, they might have some decent prices. I have bought a couple of suits through them in the past.

I am looking at an Elios wetsuit for my next one. I think a 3mm opencell suit, with either smoothskin or super stretch lining, would be less than $200, and that's a custom-cut suit. I am not sure what shipping would run you on that, but others have recently purchased them and might chime in with the cost.

Hope that helps,

Jon

What size??? It might be worth a shot to try and buy a suit off some of the guys here. Winter time is here and a lot of people are replacing suits etc....I think Les (Bladerunner) was trying to sell a suit earlier...not sure if it would be the right size or thickness but it's worth a shot, plus he is in your general area. You could also post a want ad on the classified section of the forum.

I would say to go with the Elios though if you are looking for a new suit, I have an OMER 3mm Ti that I really like as well. It might also be an idea to call some of the shops/distributors and ask about mismatched suits for sale. I got a camo top/black bottom suit for next to nothing because it didn't match.

If you are just looking for a one piece...go with a surf suit. McKevlins down at Folly should be selling their surf suits for next to nothing this time of year. The new suits are super flexible too. Look at Xcel....amazing suits....and if you get into surfing...there you go. They also make a camo 1 piece for around $170-80. I think Florida Freedivers has lizzard suits for around 2 bills as well. One or two piece--good suits, and they come in camo.

Just a few ideas-
Matt

Mattedhead you come down here often? I"m not far from Folly beach...bout 15min. and yes I do surf, if you d come down you're welcome on the boat anytime. I'm in the market for a camo suit though.
I'm gonna go w/ the Deep thought or X-cel...more the likley the X-cel.

Thanks guys.
JF

Used to come and surf a bit...I've never dove there though....I imagine it's pretty similar to here. Mostly deeper wrecks and limestone ledges/hardbottoms???

Thanks for the invite. I am finishing up my thesis, but as soon as that is done and the water warms a bit I am all over it. If you ever want to get out up this way let me know. We do a lot of wreck and ledge diving here. Some BW stuff, but that will come to fruition more this upcoming season.

Matt

Good luck with the suits...I have heard a lot of good things about the Xcel suits. I am going to have to start shopping for a new warm water suit soon...mine is pretty thrashed. Gets a lot more use than the 5mm.

Yeah, the diving is identical. You just have to take the '2' out of your 25' visibility. Matt I'm actually on Folly don't know if I told you that when I was up. Looking forward to some warmer weather. If I had the 7mil suit w/ me down here I could'nt have helped myself. Did go down to the keys over Christmas and got a little spearing in. You finished w/ grad school now? Employed in Wrightsville or moving imminetly?

I haven't been in the surf shops down here in awhile, I'll see if they have any sales so I can save you a trip John. For the record I picked up my 3mil suit on ebay for ~45, I'm very happy with it, but it did take awhile to find that 'one' suit on e-bay (Of course I also got a hooded vest which is too small so...)

Also call some places like freedom at depth etc. They might have suits on clerance or used from certification classes for cheap.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT