• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Weymouth Rules and Regulations

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Stevie T

Jan 27, 2003
Hi Guys,

As we now seem to have quite a number of fellow Weymouth and Portland spearos on here I thought that someone might be able to enlighten me on the local do's and don'ts.

For instance, if you go spear fishing at Newtons Cove, do you park at the main Carpark behind Brewers Quay and then walk with gun and all past the housing estate and down to the cove? If so has anyone been stopped walking the streets with spearo stuff under their arms????

Likewise, there are a few other places I would like to try around the Harbours but would also need to park in very public places and walk along with the gear, now I'm not shy but just concerned that the local bobby might not be best pleased? :ban

Cheers

Steve

Nice to hear from another local spearo Steve.I parked in the car park next to the new flats at Newton's cove,got changed in the car park and went into the water.No one battered an eye lid i guess they are all used to it by now.In all the years i've been spearfishing no one has ever mentioned it,not even when we used to get on the bus as youngsters or walked passed the prisons on our way to the beach.As long as we behave and act responsibly we'll be alright. :thankyou

yep, agree with Glowworm... you should be fine. The other option is to park in Castle cove road and walk along the beach, or swim to the first arm.... cheers Clive.

Allways used the car park by flats but have tried to be a bit discrete so as not to wind up the holiday makers. As for the Portland Harbour Breakwaters be aware you now need a licence to spearfish in the harbour or off the walls and then you are restricted to certain very small and unproductive areas, don't be suprised if you get a visit from the Harbourmaster (fun police), think the licence is about £30, but you have to give your name address etc so it is a double edged sword as they then know who you are!
Be aware of mothers with kids rock pooling as apparently the kids are an endangered species with a minimum size of 40kgs.

Opps forgot to say, worth wearing a blob in newtons cove as speed boaters try to use you as a ramp even though the reefs have accounted for at least two stern drves last season, same applies in harbour with the added danger of sailing vessels which are bloody quiet in the water!

I walk all the way through Exeter High Street when going fishing and later on through an other high street with all my gear and gun. Once I walked right infront of a cop across zebra crossing, holding my 110cm gun. an other time I walked along two cops through Budleigh town having all my gear with me.. the only time people stop or are interested is when you have a big fish with you hanging from your spear.. (last year, felt like I was a circus or something with my catch..)
Only place where people have been worried about my gear if in crowded bus, where my gun is bit too close to someones face...:)

Pekka, even airport was fairly easy, just odd looks, when carrying a long tube with handle and a trigger..;)

Safe fishing to you all...

Pekka

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT