• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What breath-up techniques do i use while freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jmcclung

May 13, 2008
Hi, Im new to the free diving world. I have seen some great stuff on this site on techniques to improve hold time. But what is safe to do while actually freediving??? I know that hyperventilation is no good, what about the "deep breath slow exhale" method. Anyway, i am just wondering what is safe to do while diving. Id love it is someone could help me out with this, or maybe point me to an old thread that answers it. Thanks,
jm

Hi
I am also quite new into freediving.
Although I use to freedive for years, I never went deep into it, and i experimented all on my own.
Recentlu I am also doing an apnea course where the first thing not to do is hyper ventilation.
He alway focuses on relaxation, most important, what might help is pranayama (yoga) breathing techniques. he also says that the best to breath is to inhale normally and to exhale you must take twice as much time.

Well, the breathe up period is for you to get into the 'zone', meaning slowing your heartrate down, going to a faraway land, etc etc. The deep breath slow exhale thing will probably help slow your heartrate down, so yeah, I'm guessing it's fine. Like you said, no hyperventilation or funky stuff like that. Of course, always dive with a buddy, preferably 2.

I usually breath inn on ca 4 sec and out on ca 10 sec for ca two minutes.
Then 3 strong and complete full inhale and exhale.. Then dive...
But I wanna know what the "pros" do :)

The 3 strong inhale and exhale, I believe, have the same effect as hyperventilation, which is saturating your blood with O2 and flushing out CO2. Correct me if I am wrong, but that doesn't seem safe.

I'm definitely no expert but I find it best to count your inhale at normal time (1 second = 1 second) but when I do the exhale I count slower (1 second =2 or 3 sec) so 4 seconds in and "4" seconds out, but the "4" seconds out, even though I only count to 4, is actually 8 or 12 seconds. I started doing this because I was counting faster on the exhale because I psychologically I was trying to make it twice as long and therefore counting faster to reach the 10 or 12 second exhale. This resulted in killing my relaxation and made my heartrate go up. I found that counting very slowly not only made the exhale longer than the inhale but it also relaxed me and lowered my heartrate. Again this is just what works for me. Good Luck

I tried many breathing paterns and most of them resulted in me begining the dive hypocapnic....nowadays I just breath normaly(as if i'm sleeping),do 1-2 deep SLOW breaths,pack and dive.I found out that only normal breathing before the dive allows me to relaxe completely.As someone mentioned ealier in this thread it would be interesting to know how top freedivers do their breathup.

This is somthing you very often hear: "I do slow breathing for x minutes and x purges...but I don't hyperventilate.":rcard. It’s a common misconception but the truth is that ANY type of “breath up” is a form of hyperventilation! The speed and rate of breathing only effects how quickly you get hypocapnic:naughty. There is nothing wrong with hyperventilation, most freedivers do it, but you should KNOW that you do it and make sure you have proper safety.

Personally I agree with triton, letting your body breath the way it wants to works best for both performance and safety.

Reactions: naiad

This is what I learnt at my CMAS*** freediver course.. Is it wrong ?
Lets debate :)

Just Practice Alot And U'll See The Diference I Stared With 30 Seconds And Now I Could Do 1 Minute And 10 Seconds And That's Lest Then 1 Month Of Practice

It sounds perfect, and is what I do. (i am still a bit of a noob though so watch what I say!)

Occasionally after a longer or tougher dive I will hyperventilate a little to vent accumulated CO2, but I will always wait another 60 sec. or more to allow my heart to slow and CO2 levels to rise to near normal.

There was a great thread on hyperventilation a couple of weeks ago, sorry, look for the link yourselves :headi'm trying to work here ;)

A funky dry or pool test is to use one of those polar heart rate monitors. You will see how a good rest and breath up really slows the heart down, and how much a stressful breath up or hyperventilation speeds it up.

I'd like to address some of the common misconceptions that appeared in this thread:

1) As Ulf wrote, most of so-called "breath-up" methods are nothing else than plain and simple hyperventilation. Perhaps little bit slower hyperventilation than the commonly known and feared "fire breathing", but nevertheless it is still hyperventilation with the same effects.

2) You do not want to reduce your heart-rate before the dive. That would be counterproductive, since it would reduce the blood flow, hence the oxygenation of organs and muscles, and cause desaturation of the venous blood. What you want is dropping the heart rate as soon as possible after starting the apnea, not before! Before the apnea you want though reducing your oxygen consumption to the necessary minimum. So the maximal possible relaxation is necessary, but if you manage to keep your heart rate high despite the relaxation, it is only good! It will lead to bigger stocks of oxygen in tissues and especially in the venous blood (arterial blood is practically saturated at normal breathing anyway)

3) If you are able to make 3 times longer dives during few days (like 96ekhatch wrote in the last post) just thanks to the "breath-up", then you want to know that it is very likely not because you got so quickly so good, but more likely because you found that the more you hyperventilate (or breathe-up, breathe deep, purge, ...) the easier you can hold your breath. What you miss though is that the body gets hypoxic with the same speed (and often even quicker), you just do not get the signals about it, and feel no urge to breath. If connected with an ascent, you may be quite likely quite close to your physiological limits at every dive. It is only a question of time when you overdo the hyperventilation, the depth, the time, or encounter unusual situation and you pass away without even getting any warning.

More about hyperventilation here: http://forums.deeperblue.net/safety/77624-hyperventilation.html?highlight=hyperventialtion

Last edited:
trux, you are right on all points, but may miss some simple issues regarding heart rate/stress/exertion in the water that must be tamed before a dive.

Lets say my resting heartbeat is 60BPM, when I swim over to the line to start my dive it rises to say 120BPM. I of course will not do a very good dive then, so I rest. I would like to have a resting heartbeat of 60BPM before a dive I think, and watch it drop to 30BPM at 40M. These are some real examples I have noticed on myself using a dive watch with pulse meter.

Slow exhalation will reduce heart rate. Its a question of how far to reduce it?

Would you say that a resting heartbeat was optimal for a dive, or how about resting + 25%? any ideas?

Attachments

• 42.1m.jpg
    42.1m.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 42.1mbpm.jpg
    42.1mbpm.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
As I wrote, the higher heart-rate before the dive, the better. So if it is 120 just before the immersion, it is just fine as long as it drops quick then. Well, in the same time the body must be maximally relaxed, so that it has the right effect (particularly oxygenating the venous blood), and that's not something you can achieve easily - when you relax, the heart-rate goes down automatically. However, you should definitely avoid breathing techniques activating bradycardia through the vagal system stimulation (parasympathetic innervation), or through mental exercises. You should rather try staying under moderate stress, while avoiding any muscle tension. That's something which is not easy, but definitely much better than artificially trying to drop the heart-rate before the dive

Last edited:
thanks trux,

so, given the same muscle relaxation state, C02 and 02 levels, 120BPM will give me longer, safer dives than starting at 60BPM? A little mental stress (comp. environment, current, spearing) is therefore a good thing?

hmm. this totally changes how I thought of diving.. looking forward to trying this out :)

Well, in the reality the heart-rate will take a while before it drops, so if it is really 120 bpm, it may possibly have less positive effect than if it is 80 or 90. Also it may require a high level of self control to be able relax muscularly while keeping high heart-rate (i.e. due to stress). So practically the advantage won't be proportional. Only purely theoretically, the higher heart-rate, the higher blood throughput, which at the same O2 consumption, and at saturated arterial blood (SaO2 ~98%-99%) means higher venous blood saturation (SvO2), which is normally considerably lower than the SaO2. And that means more oxygen in blood for the apnea. It is much better way achieving it this way (though more difficult) than by hyperventilating.

First, the best breathup technique for a beginner, is to breath like your walking down the street. Dive down as deep as you want or can. When you get the urge to breath, come up (or sooner). Stay on the surface for at least twice what you held your breath for. Will that set records? No, but it gives you a good chance of staying alive. And if you had to ditch something, that is not a valid excuse to blow off a surface interval. A kid in Florida did it already this year for a fish.

The rant starts here:
There is a lot of theory behind how the breath-up is done. The courses are for that reason, to learn the theory, the physics and the physiology. There are several courses out there and they may have slightly different theories. It's not good to pick and choose the parts of each theory you seem to like.

There was a discussion about purges and hyperventilation. They are the same thing technically, but the purges taught have a theory and technique behind them and so much more. Like how to be safe and smart with them.

A lot of us have paid to learn these theories and it would not be fair to us or our instructors to go into detail on them. Nor is it safe for the new guy to read some things on the web and then go out alone. The BEST way is too take a course yourself. It's your life, but your life affects more than just you, think of your family. If you can't take a course for whatever reason, then don't push it. Yes they cost money, but it will cost more for the services (if they find you) and the financial and emotional hardship on your family.

It may be tough to read how this person is doing X depth for X minutes. "It would be so cool if I could do that." I was there. I sat there looking at the screen thinking, man what is this magic key, what is the secret handshake, how can I do that. What kept me from trying it was shallow water blackout. It's real, I saw it on video. Then I saw it in class, it became even more real.

When will SWB strike you? You don't know. When will it strike me? I don't know. I took a class and I have a good idea of how and why it happens, but there are so many factors. 10,000 atta-boys will never equal that one oops.

One last thing while I'm on a soap box. Seeking information is never a bad thing and that's what a lot of people here are doing. But learn it in the right order and environment. Get a strong foundation, take a course. You want to live in a strong house with a solid foundation, not a couple of sticks with a sheet thrown over it.

Last edited:
Ok guys, thanks for all the info, but im still a little confused , some info has been a bit conflicting. So, am i gonna be pretty safe going with the normal inhale-slower exhale technique, even though this may be HV??? Or, should I just breath normal.

jm

About the higher heartrate before a dive. I tend to get a bit nervous before an "important" dive. My heartrate goes up a bit but more noticeably the beats are more powerful. Will this also have a positive effect?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT