• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

what diameter dyneema should I use for my shaft line?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

StellarJello

May 17, 2022
Currently, i use a mono line however I want to change to dyneema and I am still confused about what diameter dyneema I should get in order to not reduce the shaft velocity significantly. My gun is an 80cm inverter roller with 2 10mm bands (planning to put another 10mm). I usually hunt in shallow water.

Reactions: Mr. X
Well damn. That link used to include a link to actual videos showing tests with various lines, but it doesn't seem to are there anymore.

there's a video in it actually. Btw thanks!
Weird. It didn't show for me before, but now it does.

OK, now that's you've seen it, I'll give you my experience for what its worth. First, that stiff spectra is far better than other limp spectra/dyneema that I've used. I tried the 1.4 mm for a while. It shoots at least as well as mono when it doesn't tangle. But you have to be very careful to string it tight with no slack. If you don't get mono tight the natural stiffness where it goes around line guides or releases takes up the slack, but the spectra is limp. I took quite a few shots with no problem until one day I had a band tangle and stopped the shaft just short of an estimated 40 pound yellowtail. That was very disappointing. So I reloaded and on the next shot had a momentary band tangle that caused the shaft to lose speed and go under the fish. Maybe it was that particular gun but at 83 I can't afford missed shots like that.

My favorite was that Catchall 1.2 mm coated cable. It doesn't float around like spectra and is easy to string up in the water. It may shoot better than mono. But as the discussion mentions at length, its hard to cut. I still have it on my biggest gun that I use in open water where I won't be down in the kelp and murk, and I carry a pair of shears in case I need to cut it. What wasn't mentioned in that heated discussion is that the stiff spectra is almost as hard to cut as the cable. Try it on land with a sharp knife and then imagine trying to cut it in hurry while holding your breath.

So my conclusion- after trying all those lines, I'm back to mono except for on that one big gun that has cable. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Weird. It didn't show for me before, but now it does.

OK, now that's you've seen it, I'll give you my experience for what its worth. First, that stiff spectra is far better than other limp spectra/dyneema that I've used. I tried the 1.4 mm for a while. It shoots at least as well as mono when it doesn't tangle. But you have to be very careful to string it tight with no slack. If you don't get mono tight the natural stiffness where it goes around line guides or releases takes up the slack, but the spectra is limp. I took quite a few shots with no problem until one day I had a band tangle and stopped the shaft just short of an estimated 40 pound yellowtail. That was very disappointing. So I reloaded and on the next shot had a momentary band tangle that caused the shaft to lose speed and go under the fish. Maybe it was that particular gun but at 83 I can't afford missed shots like that.

My favorite was that Catchall 1.2 mm coated cable. It doesn't float around like spectra and is easy to string up in the water. It may shoot better than mono. But as the discussion mentions at length, its hard to cut. I still have it on my biggest gun that I use in open water where I won't be down in the kelp and murk, and I carry a pair of shears in case I need to cut it. What wasn't mentioned in that heated discussion is that the stiff spectra is almost as hard to cut as the cable. Try it on land with a sharp knife and then imagine trying to cut it in hurry while holding your breath.

So my conclusion- after trying all those lines, I'm back to mono except for on that one big gun that has cable. I hope this helps.
thanks for your detailed insight. Based on your experience Imma stick with mono, too bad I couldn't find stiff spectra here in Indonesia. I probably can't sleep that night or week if my spear didn't reach that monster

If you want to try it, this place in Florida is where I ordered mine. I don't know if they ship overseas but they might. But then I'd stick with mono.

It seems as if a lot of guys on this site have mentioned liking dyneema in the past. If they disagree with me I hope they will chime in. I'm just giving you my opinion but it won't hurt my feelings if others disagree.

Idk your setup but you have to be a little careful I mean theres always ways to get around stuff but I don’t think the 1.7 stuff would even fit in my plastic band inserts. The 1.4mm barley fits.

Idk your setup but you have to be a little careful I mean theres always ways to get around stuff but I don’t think the 1.7 stuff would even fit in my plastic band inserts. The 1.4mm barley fits.
What do band inserts have to do with it? We’re talking about shooting line, not wishbones.

If you want to try it, this place in Florida is where I ordered mine. I don't know if they ship overseas but they might. But then I'd stick with mono.

It seems as if a lot of guys on this site have mentioned liking dyneema in the past. If they disagree with me I hope they will chime in. I'm just giving you my opinion but it won't hurt my feelings if others disagree.
Hey Bill, I don't use mono anymore after trying the Aussie stiff dyneema. If you don't like it, would you send me what is left? I'll pay the shipping.

Hey Bill, I don't use mono anymore after trying the Aussie stiff dyneema. If you don't like it, would you send me what is left? I'll pay the shipping.
I had a lot of 1.4 and1.7 but I think I gave it all away to a friend who likes is for shooting pargo and grouper in caves in Baja. I'll see if I have any more though.

Reactions: marco15499

in the end, I ordered from an online store a 1.2mm Dyneema and 1.1 monoline to see which one I preferred. I can't wait for it to arrive at my doorstep:D. Thanks for the reference!

in the end, I ordered from an online store a 1.2mm Dyneema and 1.1 monoline to see which one I preferred. I can't wait for it to arrive at my doorstep:D. Thanks for the reference!
Not all the dyneemas are the same. The only one that works as a shooting line in my opinion is the Aussie Stiff dyneema. If you bought another one, use it for your reel. 1.1 is way too thin as a shooting line, minumum I would use is 1.4 mm.

Not all the dyneemas are the same. The only one that works as a shooting line in my opinion is the Aussie Stiff dyneema. If you bought another one, use it for your reel. 1.1 is way too thin as a shooting line, minumum I would use is 1.4 mm.
Agreed. The stiff stuff is limp enough. The regular dyneema is just a tangly mess.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT