• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What do I Do?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
My vote still goes to spanish (Mr.X, I'm glad that you love Italy, but leave Italian where it is, it's a useless language, we italians don't understand it ourselves: I don't even understand what my wife says to me when she stresses words with her native inland tuscan accent. This happens when she's angry). More seriously, the real issue is spoken english, especially american english: when I watch Cnn news I don't understand ANYTHING of what they say, especialy from female newscasters: they speak so drolled!. While british BBC accents sound much more clear to me. Maybe it's because Cnn newscasters are all angry wives...
Latin and ancient Greek, seriously, are a strong starting point to learn easily every modern euro language. They are so complex, so structured and so perfect, that after learning them any other euro language is fresh air really.
(I had to study Latin and Greek at the high school for 5 intense years: what a kick in the groin! ...yet more useful than one could think).

Last edited:
Reactions: land shark
I basically agree about the usefullness of Spanish, but you have to be careful about regional variations, because you can be perceived as arrogant/condescending sometimes. It requires more work, but if you're going to spend any amount of time in a given area, it's worth it.
By the way, Jim, if you had trouble understanding people in France, GOOD LUCK if you visit Québec! I lived there eight years and still lose bits of conversation!
And Spaghetti, in heated discussions with the spouse, a bit of incomprehension is normal - and perhaps useful ("Ma "he" "hosa" stai dicendo - non ho capito un cazzo....) Well, maybe you should just think that... In doing my grad shcool thesis I had to deal with BYZANTINE Greek - talk about at kink in crotch.... Ah, well, I guess it builds character.

JD

Or how about someone who wants to be a serious Bible scholar & has to deal with Kinoic Greek? Sheesh!

spaghetti said:
...Maybe it's because Cnn newscasters are all angry wives....
roflrofl You're a brave man Spaghetti! I wouldn't even dare think it;)

Most of the BBC TV presenters for the last decade or so have had strong regional accents rather than using the traditional Received Prounciation vanilla/posh-accent. Childrens TV presenters perhaps most of all. Fine for local programs I suppose but I'd much rather listen to RP or a softened accent than, say, scouse on national TV & radio - it's clearer and sounds more professional (John Humphreys springs to mind). I think it is a trend that may be coming to an end though, apparently the public don't like it.

I heard that people generally found American-English easier to understand & pronounce than English, so interested to hear that is not always the case; perhaps it depends on where you live (America or not-America) and how you learnt the language.

Sounds like Spanish might be a good starting point for the NW Med. Which med. countries would Arabic be useful in?

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
Just saw this..
I learned Spanish when i was 17, must say that it has been the most useful language I know. Everywhere i have been i have been able to use it to my advantage. (especially in Miami ;)

Reactions: Mr. X
For me, too, Spanish has been useful . . . but it's not what I really wanted! My father was adamant about my learning that language and I did, rather well, according to my teachers, but it's not what I wanted. If I had it to do all over again . . .

(I must be dreaming of that nun or something! :chatup )

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT