• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What do you do if you are in water when tsunami hits?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Ha ha Podge, magic! "If I'm going, and going with style, I'll be fine!"

I was just talking to my fiance about how much fun cyclone warnings were when I grew up on the coast.
A Northern cyclone warning was always accompanied with 'Stay away from the surf" warnings down near my house. Which always meant, "Hell yes, 6+ foot shore breaks!!!"
Used to body surf those bad boys for hours and days on end. How did we know they were 6+ foot? There was an inch of water left beneath them and they were taller than us!! Get in the tube, go with it, and one hell of a ride.

I would suggest a quick evacuation of the bowels and a prayer!

This very thing happened to 2 friends of mine in Sri Lanka during the Asia Tsunami, it's documented to somewhere on the forum. They never spoke about it much but it sounded like there wasn't anything you could do except try to stay alive and pray for a bit of luck.

Was just thinking that...

http://forums.deeperblue.com/beach-bar/57366-news-db-members-affected-asia-quake-tsunami-4.html

here's the thread.

and here's a few private and excerpts from dear Alison and some of her family members who wrote to me at the time. this is quite emotional for some of us, as we lost Alison later on in the year. I somehow think you wont want to be swimming in a Tsunami..

I dont think I'll be diving again, with or without help, that was one experience to many, I can remember hearing my ribs cracking when that boat hit me but not any pain, just panicing big time, being trapped underwater with no air in my lungs was, well I'm sure you can imagine, I really thought that was it

Just to give you an update on Colin & Ali. They are both in hospital in London now, we have been down to see them, they have been in the wars! Colin has a broken arm and both his legs, Ali has 8 broken ribs and a fracture to her scull, both of them have a lot of cuts and bruises and have enough mud in their lungs to start a small farm (their words not mine). They are getting better rapidly and hope to be home in a few weeks.

Hello
I have been asked to relay this by her nibs:
"I hope you remembered to wave"
Not a clue about that? it was a bit difficult to understand her, she's only whispering. I hope your all well and getting on there, we have found this all a .... well Im sure you can imagine but can't be anything to what the victims of this are going through, Ive found myself the last day just watching the news, its beyond belief

(that was funny, as ali was getting married in Sri Lanka, and I was in the Maldives. She said we should send each other a :wave at Christmas. she wasn't kidding...)

there's a lot more ... but that's between me and her. RIP both of you x

That was some bloody wave you sent Sara rofl
It all sounds very harrowing but she did spearfish again but if I remember rightly she couldn't scuba dive again because of the damage. I dived with her myself later that year and saw how good she was at spearing she must ave been brilliant before that. Her breath hold was spectacular even if she did complain about it.
To this day I think their time was up that morning except for the embarrassing droplets bone headedness got them out of it and that's why they finally left us.
Of course you were involved in that too, I'm glad I wasn't

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT