• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What do you do with electronic car key fobs while diving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

glubglub

Feb 19, 2007
Hi all.

Newer cars come with electronic key fobs to open and start the car. Gone are the days you can simply stick a flat key in the wetsuit's inside pocket or attached to lanyard; these fobs are pretty thick, and I'm pretty sure even if they may be water resistant they are not designed to be carried while diving at any depths.

So the question is, if you are simply doing a shore entry dive, what do you do with this type of key fobs? Ideas / suggestions?

Most cars will still open with a flat key in case the electronics pack-up.
Get a spare flat key cut and take that diving, hide the fat fob one in the car somewhere.

Reactions: foxfish
I once forgot to take mine out of my bathing suit's pocket, so it's rated to at least 13 meters until I remembered...luckily it worked sa I was quite far from anywhere. Now I use a small waterproof box which I tie to my weight belt.

i know what you mean the car i currently have is suposed to have an electronic chip in the key.im not taking it any were near the water because if the car dosen't like it ,it trips the imobiliser and then your really buggered!. i just hide the keys on the car there are plenty of places if you have a good look around your car.
or you could do what one of my mates did and lock them in the car. he wasn't hapy with how easily we broke in using nothing more than spear fishing gear and didn't damage the car

I've put mine in a plastic bag and buried it the ground near the car.

When I sold the car recently I found the flat key in the cupboard :rcard

also you can go buy a small water proof case if you have a float attach it

Thanks for the interesting ideas. These "Smart Key System" keys are definitely hassle to deal with... Its proximity sensor allows doors to be opened by a touch on the door handle when the key is detected. And to start the car, all you need is the key is detected within the car and one push of a button you can drive away... Whether or not the key is inside a lockbox or not...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT