• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What drugs or doping best for freediving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I'm not sure i'm totally ok with this thread. It's right on the boundary of what i'd consider acceptable on DB. We'll be keeping a close eye on this going forward.

Also - to the OP @Scotcollin - doping is against AIDA rules so if you are hoping to break any records i'd suggest you look at doing it without performance enhancers.

I'm not sure i'm totally ok with this thread. It's right on the boundary of what i'd consider acceptable on DB. We'll be keeping a close eye on this going forward.

Also - to the OP @Scotcollin - doping is against AIDA rules so if you are hoping to break any records i'd suggest you look at doing it without performance enhancers.

The strangest thing about this tread is that so many people are taking them seriously. I can't believe anyone would actually consider doing what was described at first.

Sent from the abyss

Drugs cheats disgust me. As do their suppliers. I am appalled by the existance of that post but take some comfort in the disgust and disappointment expressed in the responses of many regular forum members.

A record "broken" on drugs is no record. "ScottCollin of Denmark" go away and reflect on your life, you have "gone off the tracks".

Last edited:
Creatine may help as it 'buffers lactic acid' meaning you might get less of a burn in your legs.

You could also try beetroot extract or powder, various studies have shown improved oxygen efficiency including in freedivers. Both would need to be taken chronically, as opposed to acutely.

But tbh I'd just practice more. Plus resistance training and HIIT programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know body builders use beetroot, beet juice and extract to product nitric oxide which is a gas, Now im curious what effect it would have, or if it would have any effect at all , on free diving since I saw your post. (The nitric oxide that is, not the beetroot)
Just to let everyone know, Im not trying to use it to break any records. Im doing good If I can get to 50' .

Nitrate supplementation has been shown to reduce oxygen cost. I'm not sure if the exact mechanics, but it (passively) diffuses it the smooth muscle cells of blood vessels, potentially causing a de-stiffening of arteries.

There are a couple of studies showing that supplementation increased performance in freedivers, which you could probably google.

But at any rate, if there is any truth to it reducing the oxygen cost of exercise you could imagine that it would benefit a freediver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to be clear to all people on this thread. Use of banned or performance-enhancing drugs is not acceptable from DeeperBlue perspective. It is also against the rules and ethics of organizations like AIDA.

At the moment this thread is being kept open but we will not hesitate to remove or lock this thread.

Use your head, train properly and don't be a cheat.

I think in international competitions in all sports there must be doping! And people must be naive to think not imo. But I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.

This is a interesting article about the use of xenon gas. Any thoughts?

https://cyclingtips.com/2014/03/xenon-gas-as-a-performance-enhancing-drug-doping-or-just-hot-air/
Spot on mate; I can't belive how naive some people are. Any top level athlete uses some form of PES, banned or not. To be at those levels you need the extra edge, there is no way around it

The last person I heard say everybody is doing it was a former Dutch aspiring cycle pro. That told me that he had used performance enhancing drugs himself and was looking to excuse it :(. However, he had a point, although not everybody was/is cheating, this was in the days of Lance Armstrong winning the Tour de France and there was a fair bit of cheating going on among some winning teams, it has been admitted since.

Seems like there has been questionable stuff going on in pro cycling since too. And Olympic swimming. Not necessarily breaking the rules either. However, then as now, not everybody is doing it.

I’m more than sure that various kinds of doping and drugs are used in big sports. They are not stupid and use all ways available to them to win and be better than others. And the reason why some of them get exposed is just that someone wants them to be exposed. No wonder why all this testing happens behind closed doors.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT