• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What fins did Stephane Mifsud use for the 209m dynamic?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Seal

Deepsy
Apr 29, 2003
I was just wondering what fins he used to pull of that amzing dynamic performance?

If they are C4 Bi-Fins how come they have a huge cressi sign on them... maybe cressi made him a pair of carbon fins... I dont know but they sure do look good :D

I think that the yellow Cressi sign is just a sticker for the sponser.
Or a secret space-age nano-fiber sticker that returns more energy than aborbed and help people do 209m statics.

Thx for clearing that up.

Gotta get some of those C4, but they are exspensive so i'll wait untill next month :eek:

For now I will just wait for my Gara 3000 to arrive from the Scubastore, they will have to do for my Spearfishing.

The carbon C4 80 are fragile finns.

If you want to spearfisch with them and pusch off the bottom etc. I heared the spearfishing blades from waterway http://www.finswimworld.com/spearfishing.htm are supposed to be very good also. They are supposed to be less fragile. I heard that they are made from the same materials as the monofinns and fit into all footpockets a C4 blade fits into.

I do not own any so I cannot compare them myself but there should be more info on the forum on this.

No the C4's will be a sunday fin for playing and setting personal records

The Gara 3000 will be a working fin for spearing.

However i'm still not sure if I want the C4, 80 or the 30. I have a fetish for long fins, but i'm not sure. I have searched all the forum and still no real answer :confused:

And no one knows wich one Stephane used for the dynamic, exept it was a C4, and his homepage doesn't work anymore :waterwork

Seal Hello from Malmö Sweden.

I go trough the same trouble like you. I like to get some c4 30 but offen I think that gara3000 is enough and I save the money for a second Monofin.

BTWWhat size to you need in Gara3000 if you like to wear a 3mm sock?
I am normal size 44

Hello there.

Well I'm a normal size 43 and I wear 5mm socks, and I got the 44-45 size, and It's a snug fit. Personally I allways order 1-2 sizes bigger, and use 5mm socks.

So I guess beeing size 44 with 3mm socks the 44-45 would be a nice fit beeing a little tight at first.

By the way I can say comming from carbon fins the Gara 3000 does not have the same push, but considering price it's very nice. I wouldn't have much problem going to 25-30m, but beyond that carbon is just more energy saving.

By the way I found this information on the C4 blades:

"No stranger to world records, C4 fins have earned divers worldwide more spearfishing championships and freediving world records than any other carbon fin. Complete with a 2 year unlimited warranty. C4 fins continue to dominate the spearfishing industry with the supirior technology, design, and comfort professionals have come to expect.

C4 Falcon 30 - tapered medium stiffeness blade for all around spearfishing, surface swimming and deep diving.
rated to 30 meters/100ft.

C4 Falcon 40 - Stiffer, tapered thickness blade for strong divers and deep spearfishing.
rated to 40 meters/120ft

C4 Falcon 80 - 4 inch longer, medium stiffness tapered blade for the pursuit of deep freediving.
Fin of choice for record attempts"

Well I don't know about you guys but the words "Record attempts" & "Deep" just automaticly opens my wallet and money comes flying out :D

Last edited:
Seal

I use most of the time a Monofin but my friends at training
(Tord & Dennis) have botth C4 falcon 25!!

They say that a softer Fin is bete for Apnea. Thay go to 60-70 meters with this fins.

Anyway.. I am 1.90 and weight 83kg. Offen I think that the C4 Falcon 80 will fit for my size but how the hell you transport this thinks with the airoplane?? I have enough problems with my monofin now!!!

What you mean the ...Gara 3000 does not have the same push...
how big is the diference..

Lambis

I need to work harder with the Gara 3000 than my old Metalsub carbons.

Getting from point A to B is quicker with carbon, but being 3-4 times cheaper I'm still going to be using the Gara 3000 for spearfishing and normal training.

The difference for me is that with my old carbons I wouldn't mind going to 40-50m, but with the Gara 3000 I would stop at 30m (in my condition), this depends on a lot of things, stiffness and feel. The carbon fin I had (It´s broken now) was just smooth in the water, and I could swim faster with it.

Keep in mind that I'm not a freediver at competition level at all. I just do it for fun. So it would be nice if a more experienced diver would lend us his/her advice.

Stephane uses C4 80 for his records, and Yes the cressi thing is a sticker (sponsor...)

He uses small foot pocket 40-42 because he likes feeling the fins behind him.

By the way, he also used those fins to spearfish, well deep spearfishing 40meters and more... not for me!! :(

Hello Cece,
I understand that Stephan is using the C4 80 in deep spearfishing,.
I have a pair of Waterway 4(a little bit hard), using for spearfishing. And I am planning to have a pair of C4 80 for spearfishing,it is really good to hear for me that the serious guys arwe using this blade in spearfishing.

I have a friend who uses waterway 4 and he brigns them to 32 meters at the first sea session..he loves them...
have to say the guy is awesome ... I means he was doing the same thing with old plastic fins... and he decided to change his fins because he feels himself to old and as not the same power as before...
but with his fins he is ready to go down again.

I have a promotional video of Stephane where he does a big 200m+ dynamic. I don't know if it's an official performance but I noticed he does something on the turns....
It's the same pool as in the photo's, it has these metal strips on the bottom with 2cm or so gaps between them. I noticed he put his hand on the bottom for the turn, I was talking to my friend saying "I can't remember if that's legal or not". (Aida rules have changed so many times).
Anyway he saw something that I didn't. He actually put his hand in the gap and used it to get a pull coming out of every turn.

Like I said it may not have been an official performance. It's still an impressive distance, I just thought it was funny coming from the french when they have had so much input into AIDA and the rules :duh

Cheers,
Wal

YOu're right Stepahne puts his hand (left as far as I remenber) on the bottom it is a kind of guide for him in order to make his turn right...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT