• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What Gun Do You Shoot?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
So, I think a buddy is going to try the Excalibur 2000 and I am going to try the Cayman. We are a bit unsure of something at the moment though: What would be the overall length of a 75 cm gun? The '75 cm' is just the barrel length, correct? I wish Omer had a better site and actually listed this kind of stuff, not just marketing brochures.

Thanks Amphibious (and everyone else)...I will be sure to get an extra set of bands too.

You'll love the gun. Good question on the whole length. I'd measure mine but it's out in the garage and it's too frakkin cold out!
The barrel alone is 75cm, then add handle/trigger mech, headstock and then the spear too. But I know it'll fit in the 15$ Cambodian Tire rifle case, loaded even!

Thanks for everyone's input on the matter. I placed my order in today and went with a slightly different option. I am gonna give the Rob Allen 70cm Caranx a try. The difference in price from the Cayman to the RA was not as bad as I thought, so I simply couldn't pass up the opportunity to try it out.

I will be sure to post up pictures in May/June of the limits of trout, pike, and walleye and the gun that got them :)

Got a chance to shoot my Rob Allen for the first time...Absolutely freakin' amazing! Had a great day shooting at burbot and whitefish.

Like it has been previously stated, there is a night and day difference between that and my old Biller. Where I think is some of the biggest difference is in the accuracy, probably due to a combination of no-threaded tip as well as very smooth trigger pull. Felt like I was threading a needle at times :)

A little tricky getting the spear back through the fish at times though with the flopper. I was always used to just unscrewing the tip.

IMG_5149_640x480.jpg

nice shooting!

easy way to get the spear out its to slide the fish onto your shooting line, invert the spear and slide it back through the hole in the fish.

glad yo like your new RA :D

Reactions: Mr. X
Sounds like a fun dive.

Burbot as a species are in the Hall of Fame. Some spare places if you have some weights. If you haven't seen the HoF click on the hyperlink below.

Dave

great day for a snowy day!
Congratulations, Para. Those "whitefish" look very similar to our european mullet (you might read a lot on DB by european guys about shooting golden/grey mullets). How big your whitefish? Good to eat?

nice shooting!

easy way to get the spear out its to slide the fish onto your shooting line, invert the spear and slide it back through the hole in the fish.

glad yo like your new RA :D

That's great advice, thanks I will try that. Water was giving my brain a brain freeze so I clearly couldn't come up with that on my own :)

great day for a snowy day!
Congratulations, Para. Those "whitefish" look very similar to our european mullet (you might read a lot on DB by european guys about shooting golden/grey mullets). How big your whitefish? Good to eat?

Thanks.

It actually wasn't snowing that day. The snow you see is just our accumulation from the winter. Just to get to the shore we were slugging it through thigh-high snow banks (not easy to do with ankle weights and 20 pounds of lead on the waist)...Canada for you :) We've been in a cold blast pretty much all winter long, so we said to ourselves if it got above freezing temperatures, we'd give it a go. Water was a cool 1.5 C or 35 F. Managed to stay in the water though for about 3.5 hours.

The whitefish we have are only about 1-3 pounds on average. I don't have a lot of experience eating whitefish, but they are a fairly subtle tasting fish. Many people here smoke them to inject a nice flavour.

If your spear won't pull back through, even after following Amphibious's advice, then on the Rob Allen railguns you can usually just unclip the spearline at the muzzle bungee and pull the spear-line through the fish. That said, the clip is quite heavy duty, which can hurt your water-softened finger tips, I wouldn't want to do that for every fish.

Very nice. Which lake is that, and what was the vis like?

here is a late, obvious, and maybe already given tip, but the spear should come back through the fish easily in 90% of occasions, just:

- hold the flopper in, and push it back into fish
- slowly rotate and slide out
- if it gets stuck push a little back in and start rotating and pulling gently again.

the key is in the twist!

Sorry if that's an obvious one, but you never know ;)

Cressi Sub 75 cm
Freedivers 110 cm => Lost it with high tide when i left it on rocks :D <= When you trust nature :D
My handmade 120 cm => rare to use bcoz it is long

Reactions: Mr. X
Got a chance to shoot my Rob Allen for the first time...Absolutely freakin' amazing! Had a great day shooting at burbot and whitefish.

Like it has been previously stated, there is a night and day difference between that and my old Biller. Where I think is some of the biggest difference is in the accuracy, probably due to a combination of no-threaded tip as well as very smooth trigger pull. Felt like I was threading a needle at times :)

A little tricky getting the spear back through the fish at times though with the flopper. I was always used to just unscrewing the tip.

IMG_5149_640x480.jpg

I know it's a old post but that is nice...
You guy's get in the Fu Fu Fu Fu ing ice water?:D
Shite I need a Hot tati just looking at the picture,
Fu ckin aye mate.
Cheers, Don Paul

I know it's a old post but that is nice...
You guy's get in the Fu Fu Fu Fu ing ice water?:D
Shite I need a Hot tati just looking at the picture,
Fu ckin aye mate.
Cheers, Don Paul

Don, you see Deeperblue is not for sissies. :D
I'm always amazed to see people like Fondueset and Jon diving under ice in the Great lakes, or the english, irish and danish spearos hunting the Atlantic, the North sea and the friggin' Baltic in the middle month of winter, not to mention the Canadians. Kudos for those guys. (Me? Who, me? I'm on the sissy side of the fence temp wise). :eek:

Not bad anyway to revive this old thread. It was initially about spearguns for freshwater in Alberta (!?) but quickly turned to the spearosgonewild pick and mix. And that's okay as long as we're all talking around the fireplace.

Don, you see Deeperblue is not for sissies. :D
I'm always amazed to see people like Fondueset and Jon diving under ice in the Great lakes, or the english, irish and danish spearos hunting the Atlantic, the North sea and the friggin' Baltic in the middle month of winter, not to mention the Canadians. Kudos for those guys. (Me? Who, me? I'm on the sissy side of the fence temp wise). :eek:

Not bad anyway to revive this old thread. It was initially about spearguns for freshwater in Alberta (!?) but quickly turned to the spearosgonewild pick and mix. And that's okay as long as we're all talking around the fireplace.

I've dove in the ice water in the middle of winter too.... but without a wetsuit.
I was testing the ice on a big lake in Connecticut when I was 14 and before I could scream, I was doing a scene from The Grand Bleu when Jacque is training in Peru. My best friend ran and found a frozen dock line.
I was more terrified what I would tell my Dad on the 1/2mile walk home.
Cheers, Don Paul

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT