• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What gun would be best? One, Marlin Carbon, or Geronimo Elite?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

iceman8881

Aug 3, 2010
Hello everyone!
This is my first ever post on here, it would be great if I could have some help with this.

I'm after a new Euro gun. I live on the South Coast of England, and mainly hunt for Bass.
My current gun is a 75 Comanche, but it just doesn't have enough range. I want to be able to hit fish when they come past scoping you out, like 5 metres away.

Money isn't too much of an issue, but I can't go any higher than £300.

Ive narrowed my choice down to the Cressi Geronimo Elite, Beuchat Marlin Carbon Elite and the Sporasub One, however if anyone thinks there are better options then please let me know.

I think a gun between 80 and 95 would be best, I have the 75 that I can use in low viz.

It would be great to hear anyone's experience with these guns, I'm starting to get really confused trying to decide for myself! :head

Welcome!

I do not own any of the three. I have seen them, touched them, got feedback from users in real life and all I heard is they're three good guns.

But let's get real: I must honestly tell you that you will not kill fish 5 meters away with any of them, unless you get at least a size 115 (much longer than the 80-95 size you're looking for) and then do a great job to fine tune the shaft/bands set up. More important: shooting Dorset fish like bass and bream 5meters away is, in my modest opinion, mere utopia.

The Sporasub One is an impressive piece of work, a category of its own for design and engineering, I've heard wonders about. The Geronimo Elite is a very functional gun, beautiful and well built, I've heard wonders about (and it costs half the price of the One).

Last edited:
Reactions: mevdog and Mr. X
Thanks for the advice Spaghetti.

I wasn't being too exact when I said 5 metres, I really should have said I want to make those long shots on the fish at the edge of visibility, which is more like 3.5 - 4 metres I guess.

It's interesting to know the range I should expect from the guns.

Do you think I would be better going for something like a 95 or more, say, 105?

I don't want something so huge it will be annoying, but it has been annoying me missing fish that are far away, with my Comanche 75.

I've never used any other gun before, but I don't really tend to hunt for bass in the kelp or under rocks, I always have much more success diving down and waiting for them to come check me out, so I don't need too much manoeuvrability I guess.

I see many english friends who rarely use guns any longer than 90, and they must have a good reason for not exceeding that size, concerning with visibility, fish, terrain et cetera.

If you hunt in Dorset (I recon that's your location), you can post a gun size question here Dorset where you'll find more competent replies than mine location-wise.

PS- two words: Seatec Gabbiano. Most accurate european speargun of them all. Period.

PS- two words: Seatec Gabbiano. Most accurate european speargun of them all. Period.

Very wise words - however if it is range, power, smoothness, a quiet shot & low recoil - then perhaps consider a dry barrel airgun like a mamba 90 or for really long shots a mama 115 (PS air guns are measured by total length so a 90 is in fact shorter than a 75 band gun but with the power of a 100 band gun!)

I use a Beuchat Carbon 95 and my brother uses the 105. Beuchat makes great guns but the steel wishbones were killing my nice carbon gun. I since moved to a One Spear shaft, which is probably the best shaft and tip in the world. I used a needle file and buffing dremel to smooth out the fins, and I have switched to thin spectra wishbones. I also moved the band to the outer hole. I will never go back! I am using american 3/4" rubber that has a tiny cavity (which means more rubber). The gun is now buttery smooth when I shoot and has tremendous power. The One Spear shaft has a rest fin which makes even the 3/4" band quite easy to load. Power is incredible and I have target shot the gun at 5 meters and it most definitely has the power and accuracy for that range.

I like the Sporasub One Spear shaft so much that I would jump at the opportunity to buy a One Speargun. Unfortunately it is not available locally and it would need some political acrobatics to buy it from outside. For now the best solution for me is the Beuchat 95 carbon modified to spectra wishbone and One Spear shaft.

I think forum member IckleDevil said he used a 110cm speargun in Dorset one weekend with some success. It was unusually clear that weekend - probably the clearest water I have ever experienced in Dorset. But I've decided not to even take my 90cm spearguns to Dorset anymore as they loose me more close fish than they help me get distant fish.

If you lay out a 90 & a 75cm spear gun with the spear lines fully extended, there really isn't that much difference in range. So perhaps, IckleDevil has a point. On a normal day in Dorset I prefer a short gun (70/75) but on a very clear day, perhaps a 90 is not long enough. So *perhaps* rather than getting two general purpose size guns (75 & 90), perhaps one could make a case for getting a general purpose gun (75) and a long range gun (110/115/120?). It's something I've been thinking about for a while but I don't plan to buy anymore spearguns - the 75cm is proving to be good enough for most/all of my needs.

It's something I've been thinking about for a while but I don't plan to buy anymore spearguns - the 75cm is proving to be good enough for most/all of my needs.

And I thought Bond only used a Nemrod or a US divers Jaguar.:friday:friday

Cheers, Don

Reactions: Mr. X
Hi , I have the cressi geronimo elite 85 model 2010
great speargun , it shoots like a rocket
greetz

Thanks for all the information.

My friend has a Seatec Geko 90 and its great. It looks brilliant and it has a nice sturdy feel to it. After having a go on that and taking into account spaghetti's advice, I have ordered a Seatec Gabbiano 90.

Its a lot cheaper than the Sporasub One, by about £100. I'm also not sure if I really want an open muzzle like the Geronimo Elite, One and Marlin Carbon. Looks like its more fiddly to reload and if the Gabbiano really is as accurate as it sounds it will be brilliant.

I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives, many thanks everyone

Hi Hope this message is not too late even you said you'd ordered the Seatec. It’s never late to upgrade to better gun. I've been using Sporasub One 105 since January in NZ where visibility never exceeds 10m on average. I found the One deadly accurate and versatile: you can use it with or without reel, attached to the floating line, in a kelp, around reefs, in the mid water. Even though in tropics I prefer Rob Allan 130 due to the longer range I always miss the One precision and accuracy. It’s also look like nothing else and always a subject of admiration of fellow speros. It simply stands out of crowd.
BTW, Plan to order Marlin Revolution when find justified price. Expect compact size of the One and a brutal power of RA. Will keep you guys posted on the Marlin's performance.
Safe diving and longer bottom time.

Sorry for the long time between posts, but it's now at the end of the season and I can safely say I have got enough time using the Seatec Gabbiano 90 to make a worthwhile review.

Firstly, the model I bought does actually have an open muzzle, even though I said I wasn't too keen on the idea, after having used it for a while I can see its merits.
It is slower to reload, but not by much, you just have to be a little more careful you don't get the line tangled on things while your doing it.
However, the lovely unobstructed line of sight down the spear makes up for the more fiddly reload. After all unless your sat in a shoal of fish (which I rarely am) I rarely need to reload in a rush anyway.

The build quality is excellent. I have big hands and the grip is nice and chunky, it also has a very wide trigger guard so you can quickly get your finger on the trigger, I can get my index finger and middle finger on the trigger at the same time, its got so much room in there, perfect for using thick gloves.
The trigger mechanism is stainless steel and looks very well made. The mechanism is held in the handle by big stainless steel screws.
It has a mount for a reel, and above that, the line release is a very simple elbow design that stays down when the spear is in the gun and flicks up when the spear travels the first 3 inches down the barrel and is no longer pressing down on it.

The barrel itself is sheathed in aerated rubber in a cuttlefish shape, it looks great and helps to cut through the water. Tracking a fish laterally is as easy as my thin little Cressi Commanche 75.

The rubbers are the stock 16mm. They offer ample power and acceleration, and as I was really looking forward to making some long shots on Sea Bass, the range of the gun has impressed me, I have made a couple of shots and scored headshots on 1 kilo bass as they swam past 6 metres from my body, so about 4.5 metres from the tip of the gun. At this range it still has plenty of power to penetrate.

The wishbone is very well made and has a nice "Seatec" inscription on it. If you turn the gun over there is a 40 cm long silver "Seatec" sticker on the underside of the barrel which looks great.

The open muzzle has an interesting feature whereby you can swap in a set of new rubbers by removing a pin and taking the whole mounting bracket out which the rubbers screw into and put a new one in with your new rubbers and replace the pin, locking them in position. I don't carry a spare set with me, but if you wanted to change rubbers halfway through a session this would be very useful. You can only fit the screw in type of rubbers, not the sling type.

The safety catch is a sliding button, push forward to make safe, back to fire, this is the only annoying thing about the gun as its very difficult to push the safety catch to fire position using only one hand, you tend to have to bring your other hand over and I usually spear in close proximity to a friend so I prefer to leave the safety on until I dive. If Seatec had made the safety push forward to fire, then this wouldn't be a problem.
I guess Valerio Grassi thought it would be safer this way.

I think that pretty much covers it, to conclude, it is very well made and sturdy, it has a good solid feel and weight to it and seems like could take a hell of a lot of abuse. Its also got excellent range and accuracy, I have been scoring headshots on 4 out of 5 shots at ranges up to 6 metres, basically in the UK waters, if I can see it, I can probably hit it using this gun.

The price on spearo.co.uk at time of writing is £165 which is very reasonable indeed, you are getting alot for your money.
I would highly recommend this gun.

Reactions: Mr. X and devondave
I'm so glad you responded back to the thread iceman. It ties things up nicely. Great review too.:)
The safety catch is a sliding button, push forward to make safe, back to fire, this is the only annoying thing about the gun as its very difficult to push the safety catch to fire position using only one hand, you tend to have to bring your other hand over and I usually spear in close proximity to a friend so I prefer to leave the safety on until I dive. If Seatec had made the safety push forward to fire, then this wouldn't be a problem.
I guess Valerio Grassi thought it would be safer this way.
General opinion seems to be that you can/should never trust the safety catch on a speargun, and the only safe speargun is an unloaded one (slack-bands on a band gun). From what I can gather, most experienced spearos don't use the safety and recommend that you leave them ready-to-fire, otherwise you will miss fish sooner or later (in my case, the second shot I ever took - the first got a bass, the second would also have got a bass except I'd put the safety on! Lesson learnt). Your mileage may vary...

Reactions: spaghetti
I'm so glad you responded back to the thread iceman. It ties things up nicely. Great review too.:)General opinion seems to be that you can/should never trust the safety catch on a speargun, and the only safe speargun is an unloaded one (slack-bands on a band gun). From what I can gather, most experienced spearos don't use the safety and recommend that you leave them ready-to-fire, otherwise you will miss fish sooner or later (in my case, the second shot I ever took - the first got a bass, the second would also have got a bass except I'd put the safety on! Lesson learnt). Your mileage may vary...

Mr. X is right. I have the same Gabby and I don't use the safety button: I just pushed it in the "fire" position once and for all, glued it there and forgot about it.

I could have as well tried to disassemble the cassette so to eliminate the safety button and dump it, but I chose not to.

Reason is: I trust it better as originally assembled by Valerio Grassi, rather than disassembled and reassembled by a manual phuckup like myself. :)

Great gun. Great gun.

Last edited:
Reason is: I trust it better as originally assembled by Valerio Grassi, rather than disassembled and reassembled by a manual phuckup like myself. :)

Great gun. Great gun.
I know what you mean. I once owned a very reliable Japanese-made car (Toyota Celica) from new and the only problem I ever had with in 90+K miles concerned the remote alarm that was fitted by a local vendor and the automatic antenna (which was incredibly expensive to replace - they've switched to simple screw-on antenna's now, good).

You like that gun so much - I think I might have to look at one of those one day, maybe the 77 (but I am still v. happy with my current main-squeeze though, my Omer XXV 75 :inlove).

Last edited:
Iceman & Spaghetti,

Firstly great review of our gun mate.

Secondly I missed a few fish last season - too much frustration - also the biggest Bass I had ever seen in the water :head:head:head!

The first season I used the gun I was hitting everything!

So my question is this, how exactly are you aiming?

It would be great to get my aim back in as it was the first year I owned this great gun.... I just can not remember for the life of me how I used to do it!

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Hi Tunny, thanks man.

Well all I can say is I look down the side of the gun, with both eyes open and it just comes with practice (not very helpful I know).

I remember with my Cressi Commanche 75 I was a good shot with it, and then I just went through a phase where I couldn't hit a single fish!! It was so weird, maybe I was over analysing too much.

I had such a busy season last year and I was in the water around 4 or 5 times most weeks so it just became second nature. I would say you're going through that odd phase where you haven't hit a nice fish in a while and it knocks your confidence and the pressure to make the shot builds up. It's especially worse if your mates are making good shots and it starts to get embarrassing, I know that feeling.

I would say just go shoot some long kelp strands or something to hone your aim at the start of the session, maybe arrive 20 mins before you normally would at your spot.

Good luck man!

I have the same gun and find it extremely accurate. I must have missed no more than two or three shots with it. Always my fault.

Other than practice, practice and practice a lot more on a fixed target (a plastic bottle hanging under your float) so to get a perfectly clear idea of the ballistics of your gun I can give you 4 more pieces of advice.

1) When you shoot a placed shot at distance, use your wrist to lift the muzzle, in such manner that you will be able to see the spear tip over the chestpad of the gun butt. Otherwise the gun is likely to shoot too low.
2) Always shoot with a stiff arm. No gun will shoot straight if you have a floppy arm.
3) when bass come frontally to you, aim straight frontally between their eyes, don't wait for them to turn. If they offer their side, don't aim to the center of the body: aim half inch behind the gills. If the bass is swimming on his side AND at long distance, aim at his lips.
4) check if the shaft might be bent.

Reactions: foxfish
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT