• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What gun would be best? One, Marlin Carbon, or Geronimo Elite?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I have the same gun and find it extremely accurate. I must have missed no more than two or three shots with it. Always my fault.

Other than practice, practice and practice a lot more on a fixed target (a plastic bottle hanging under your float) so to get a perfectly clear idea of the ballistics of your gun I can give you 4 more pieces of advice.

1) When you shoot a placed shot at distance, use your wrist to lift the muzzle, in such manner that you will be able to see the spear tip over the chestpad of the gun butt. Otherwise the gun is likely to shoot too low.
2) Always shoot with a stiff arm. No gun will shoot straight if you have a floppy arm.
3) when bass come frontally to you, aim straight frontally between their eyes, don't wait for them to turn. If they offer their side, don't aim to the center of the body: aim half inch behind the gills. If the bass is swimming on his side AND at long distance, aim at his lips.
4) check if the shaft might be bent.

Thanks for the advice, I think some water bottle training is in order and to ensure my arm is straight and grip tight!

Cheers

This is just my opinion, but everyone should practice on a target, even if it's just a kelp fond.
When you're a beginner, when you buy a new gun or modify an old one, at the beginning of the season or after a lay-off.
These are examples of when a bit of target practice comes in handy.
To use live fish for target practice is both cruel, wasteful and unsporting.
Like I say, just my opinion.

Reactions: spaghetti
This is just my opinion, but everyone should practice on a target, even if it's just a kelp fond.
When you're a beginner, when you buy a new gun or modify an old one, at the beginning of the season or after a lay-off.
These are examples of when a bit of target practice comes in handy.
To use live fish for target practice is both cruel, wasteful and unsporting.
Like I say, just my opinion.

Dave,

I completely agree with your points escpecially using live targets. I would never attempt or endorse this to anyone!

Training before the season gets under way is an excellent idea...

Take my advice,

go to dolphinscubacenter online, free p and p.
Type in Riffe Euro to their search
Purchase a riffe euro 100x
Add in a couple of spare shafts
Head down to chesil beach
Spear some sexy bass and turbot

Hi,

i have a 115 Beauchat Marlin Carbone Elite. What do you reccommend.... 2X16mm band and a 7mm Shaft or a 19mm band with a 6.5mm shaft? In Case of a 1x19mm band... does it need a 300% stretch? please help & thanks since i need to Tune my gun to have at least a good 4m shot.

Thanks,

Neil From Malta

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT