• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What I speared so far this year in New England

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

hyeparis

Oct 31, 2007
Hello, guys! Wanted to share a few pics of what I speared so far in waters off RI and MA in New England.
The fish on these pics include from left to right
Photo 1. Trigger fish, some black fish (tautog) and blue fish (silver tail sticking out at the lower part of the pack) and scup (small silver fish on the left)
Photo 2. Striped bass and black fish.

Attachments

• triggers for odnoklassniki.JPG
    triggers for odnoklassniki.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 366
  • stripers1.jpg
    stripers1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Reactions: agbiv and foxfish
Wow fantastic spearing my friend! (& the first time I see you without a hat)

Thank you! I decided to reaffirm my Armenian Karabakh origins on these photos by wearing the T-shirt on Photo 3 with the flag rather than the hat)))

Nice one mate. We don't see a lot of reports on spearing in USA on here, especially North America. How about a little story to go with your catches. Also any idea of weights? What do all those fish taste like?

Dave.

Sure! From my one year of experience: Fish hang out where there is some structure, rocks, etc. Blackfish just stays in the rocks while such fish, as trigger fish, stripers and bluefish move around. Smaller stripers and smaller blue fish follow schools of bait in shallow waters - 5- meters while bigger stripers stay deeper - 10 meters or deeper, preferrably where there is sudden change in depth. They also love to hang around underwater rocks, which are 10 or more meters tall and which have tips sticking out of water when the ocean is choppy - because bait gets confused in white water created by collision of waves against rocks and they just snap them. They also follow schools of blue fish, which eat everything that comes their way, so if you see blue fish, chances are that stripers will follow.

Reactions: spaghetti
Bluefish (pomatomus saltator) we have them here too. The funny (or scary) thing about them is that when they attack a prey, they don't eat the whole fish: they just bite off a chunk of it, leaving the rest in place. You'll often find pieces of fish on the way of a bluefish gangbang attack against, say, a school of mullets.
Maybe the stripers there follow the bluefish so to eat up the left chunks of their victims?

Yes, Spaghetti, that's exactly what stripers do! You can also tell there is a school of bluefish if there are seagulls concentrating above a spot

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT