• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What Is a good DRY Snorkel? (And 3 snorkels reviewed)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Paul999

Jan 25, 2016
Hi everyone, to be honest I'm not much of a freediver but I love snorkeling...

Right now I'm preparing to move to South East Asia and I've have been on a shopping spree to find the best snorkel before I go.

So far I tried these 3 snorkels:

Beuchat Activa Tubair
Aqua Lung Impulse 3
Cressi Alpha Ultra Dry

The Beuchat and Aqua Lung are both great. The Beuchat feels lightweight and the mouthpiece fits well and feels very low profile.

The Cressi however is terrible. It feels like a toy out of the water and in the water. The worst is the mouthpiece, it's very uncomfortable. The snorkel keeper comes off way to easy also and the dry valve on top got stuck on me once. The airflow that the tube allows is also kind of restricted.

The Aqua Lung is bulky compared to the Beuchat, but I still like it a lot. Its advantage is that it can handle any splash water around you. It works very well for that... Aside from testing it in the pool I also tested it in the shower with the tube directly under the shower hose - not a single drop of water reached my mouthpiece or the purge area, which really impressed me.

The only downside of the Aqua Lung (as compared to dry snorkels that close at the top) is that you have to save a puff of breath to purge the water out upon reaching the surface, since it does partly fill up with water when you dive below the surface.

Hence my question:

What are good quality dry snorkels that work well and have a system that closes at the top?

I would like to try to find a good snorkel that works that way too, then with experience I can make up my mind about which kind of snorkel I like best.

If you are adamant that you want a dry snorkel, I can vouch for one, the Oceanic Ultra Dry snorkel, it keeps dry, the system works perfectly, however in my opinion, a normal snorkel is a better way forward, you just remove it from your mouth when you submerge. One safety thing, NEVER, EVER purge your snorkel straight after diving, you may well be using your last precious reserves of oxygen and then its lights out, black out time! If your intending to dive, do some research on shallow water blackout and get into the habit of removing your snorkel to dive, your friends and family will thank you for it(y)

Reactions: water moccasin
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT