• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What is a paralyzer tip used for?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jtk said

what kind of fish dont thrash around at all after you shoot them ??EVER?
if you read my post as writen I said choose fish that dont thrash about violently. yes there are many fish like that, once they have the prongs in them just sit there like a rabbit in a spot light. maybe not big sea monsters like you catch.

jtk said
you guys must be shooting some small fish. less than 12".we leave those alone here.most fish are illegal at that size anyway. i guarantee you are not bringing home a very good percentage of what you are shooting. not as good as someone with a gun

Yes we proberly catch smaller fish most of the time, but that doesn't mean we can't do it well, again if you read my post it depends on what you target. this past summer was my first with a speargun, and I'm sad to say more fish got away with it than my pole. uncomfortable with distance , targeting different fish etc.

everything has a learning curve and limitations. you talk as if a gun is the be all and end all. Some of us live in countries where guns are banned. Well you wouldn't jump off a boat with a 75cm gun and reel and shoot wahoo, tuna would you. I would hope you wouldn't think about it. A few of us have said that we use them successfully but you seem to refuse to believe us??

the pics. were all taken with a paralyzer. all are tasty fish with the biggest at about the 36cm mark. nice fish for many types of cooking. I don't go out to fill my freezer, I go out to eat fresh fish, trade some with my neighbour for fresh veges. students.jpg

2007_0913pl0008.JPG

2007_0913pl0007.JPG

Reactions: spaghetti
one mans ceiling is another man's floor. we have little fish here, and some of them are worth taking, but we also have big fish here. you never know what you will come across. suppose i am shooting a trigger and a 15lb mutton snapper comes along? or a big black grouper in a hole? if i only had a polespear, i would only be bringing home triggers and hogs.now i know everyone else hunts for food, i hunt for sport, i eat some then sell the rest to restaurants. so i am looking for trophy pics and weight to sell. say what you want, your pole spear catches would not qualify for my wall. not even close. in fact some of those pics of fish you guys are posting loook illegal size for my area anyway. forget about trophy pics, if you lived here you would probably get a ticket and a fine for those little guys.

Last edited:
jtk said

if you read my post as writen I said choose fish that dont thrash about violently. yes there are many fish like that, once they have the prongs in them just sit there like a rabbit in a spot light. maybe not big sea monsters like you catch.

jtk said

Yes we proberly catch smaller fish most of the time, but that doesn't mean we can't do it well, again if you read my post it depends on what you target. this past summer was my first with a speargun, and I'm sad to say more fish got away with it than my pole. uncomfortable with distance , targeting different fish etc.

everything has a learning curve and limitations. you talk as if a gun is the be all and end all. Some of us live in countries where guns are banned. Well you wouldn't jump off a boat with a 75cm gun and reel and shoot wahoo, tuna would you. I would hope you wouldn't think about it. A few of us have said that we use them successfully but you seem to refuse to believe us??

the pics. were all taken with a paralyzer. all are tasty fish with the biggest at about the 36cm mark. nice fish for many types of cooking. I don't go out to fill my freezer, I go out to eat fresh fish, trade some with my neighbour for fresh veges.View attachment 23509

View attachment 23510

View attachment 23511

dude, those fish are tiny. let them grow. iguess there are no size limits where you live.in america, we have a system. let the small ones grow into big fish,(breeding size) and reproduce. if you kill them at juvenile stage, they will not reproduce.we dont do that here,(not legally) that is probably why you only see small fish. your area is fished out. that may be why spearguns are outlawed where you live. you would probably just kill MORE small fish and make the problem worse. i guess in japan you have a differnt value system. we dont kill whales here either. to each his own.

i cant believe i am arguing with all you guys over this and all you keep posting is pics of really small fish, as some sort of evidence to prove your point. if that is the best you can do with a polespear. you have proved MY point. is anyone except manny puig and other pro spearos, capable of killing a fish bigger than 10" with a pole spear? so far i have HEARD some good arguments, but i have SEEN some really sad fish pics offered as proof. have any of you hunted with a quality speargun ? because i HAVE hunted with a pole spear and a paralyser.i know exactly what i am talking about from experience.they dont work, unless you hunt in an aquarium in your living room. or maybe a coy pond.uless your definition of "work" is a 9 inch fish. that is not my definition of a succesful hunt. the stuff you are shooting looks more like the bait we use. so i will amend my statements: if you want some bait fish: get a pole spear. if you want edible LEGAL size fish, get a speargun.

Last edited:
Here's a video of a regular speargun user who sometimes uses a polespear.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nk1214OZik]YouTube - Dolphin Mahi Mahi dorado Pole spear fishing freediving[/ame]
I think this discussion is getting out of hand. In my opinion, everybody has choices and opinion and thats how democracy in the world works so we just have to live by them. I use both speargun and polespear. If you are happy with what you have then no need to defend yourself against criticism or opinions. Let the mods do their thing and lets all have some beer and talk about something else...aight

Peace out!!!

Re tiny fish.
Jtk I see your point, but I also see the point you are missing, said with no offense: this is a world forum, and yes, in the world there are some places where the most common species of fish are small by nature.
Same as a cat will never grow as big as a lion, or a sparrow will never grow as big as an eagle.
Look at the fish we hunt in England and in the Mediterranean sea: an adult gilthead, an adult sargo bream, an adult european bass, an adult golden or red mullet, an adult brown meagre will rarely grow any bigger than 12 inches. And so yes we do hunt tiny fish, but not because we are poachers who hunt illegal undersized fish, but because they don't grow any bigger.
We do have big fish too: groupers, amberjacks, leerfish grow up to 20 or 50 kilograms, and believe me I would never shoot a baby grouper or a baby AJ. But if you see a european with a 9 inch gilthead bream, believe that's not a bay undersized, illegal, unfair catch: that's a very nice adult fish for being a gilthead bream.
I hope this point is clear now.

Reactions: foxfish
I've never seen such a hard-ass attitude toward pole spears! Paralyzer's on pole spears are used with great success in Hawaii - these are barbless - but they are either roughed or allowed to rust and this holds the fish. Obviously a Polespear requires some serious stalking skills - but I have seen beautiful carbon fiber polespears about 12 feet long with slip-tips you could shave with. These are used in Blue Water to hunt quite large fish. They penetrate and hold as well as any gun within their range. A lot of very skilled and experienced freedivers use pole-spears quite responsibly. Obviously you have to be discriminating with regard to how large a fish you are willing to attempt but - as the video above shows, theres some potential for larger fish with a properly rigged spear and enough practice.

Not sure but that looks like it could be one of these slip tipsSea Stinger

Last edited:
Re tiny fish.
Jtk I see your point, but I also see the point you are missing, said with no offense: this is a world forum, and yes, in the world there are some places where the most common species of fish are small by nature.
Same as a cat will never grow as big as a lion, or a sparrow will never grow as big as an eagle.
Look at the fish we hunt in England and in the Mediterranean sea: an adult gilthead, an adult sargo bream, an adult european bass, an adult golden or red mullet, an adult brown meagre will rarely grow any bigger than 12 inches. And so yes we do hunt tiny fish, but not because we are poachers who hunt illegal undersized fish, but because they don't grow any bigger.
We do have big fish too: groupers, amberjacks, leerfish grow up to 20 or 50 kilograms, and believe me I would never shoot a baby grouper or a baby AJ. But if you see a european with a 9 inch gilthead bream, believe that's not a bay undersized, illegal, unfair catch: that's a very nice adult fish for being a gilthead bream.
I hope this point is clear now.

i see your point. as it pertains to the fish. there really isnt anything here that you are allowed to shoot under 12", so when i see 6 and 8 " fish in pics it throws me off. i really wasnt trying to call someone a poacher, just trying to make a point about the futility of paralyser tips

Last edited:
I've never seen such a hard-ass attitude toward pole spears! Paralyzer's on pole spears are used with great success in Hawaii - these are barbless - but they are either roughed or allowed to rust and this holds the fish. Obviously a Polespear requires some serious stalking skills - but I have seen beautiful carbon fiber polespears about 12 feet long with slip-tips you could shave with. These are used in Blue Water to hunt quite large fish. They penetrate and hold as well as any gun within their range. A lot of very skilled and experienced freedivers use pole-spears quite responsibly. Obviously you have to be discriminating with regard to how large a fish you are willing to attempt but - as the video above shows, theres some potential for larger fish with a properly rigged spear and enough practice.

Not sure but that looks like it could be one of these slip tipsSea Stinger

i do see your point, but i feel the need to point out once again, the guy in the video is cameron kirkonnel. is anyone OTHER than the most famous talented freedivers capable of doing that? so far we have manny puig, cameron kirkonnel. doing well , then we have some random 6" and 8" fish pics from far flung places offered as proof. where are the REGULAR UNKNOWN average spearos with 20" snappers (as was claimed) THAT i would like to see. pole spearfishing is the only sport that it is considered more sporting to give the target the maximum chance to escape mortally wounded.
BTW: i enjoy the debate alot more than i hate pole spears. really i only hate paralyser tips, they are a joke for the most part. those really long pole spears LOOK cool. but then again , so do paralyser tips. also i didnt start this thread, nor am i the only one who hates those stupid things.i am just the only one with nothing to do on friday night so i fuel the debate for fun

Last edited:
My point is that with dedication the pole-spear can be a pretty effective all-round spearfishing unit. Obviously you've got to be willing to (and interested in) develop those skills - but it is doable. I met Cam at the Hatteras open - which is where I saw the beautiful pole-spears one of my roommates brought from Japan.

My point is that with dedication the pole-spear can be a pretty effective all-round spearfishing unit. Obviously you've got to be willing to (and interested in) develop those skills - but it is doable. I met Cam at the Hatteras open - which is where I saw the beautiful pole-spears one of my roommates brought from Japan.

what about paralysers? that was the original discussion.(side tracked somehow) they seem a little weak? no? ever tried one? i did. it was laughable. didnt really stop the fish at all. and i DID try it on 12" to 14" snappers only. NOT wahoo or whatever. and it still didnt paralyse. I pulled that band back till the tip was at my figer tips. it was an alumunum 8' jbl pole spear. and STILL, no paralysation. i'm sure the fish wer f+++cked up. a LITTLE. but surely not enough to stop and sit there while i grabbed 'em. i had three differt tips with it, a slip tip,(totally shitty one) the "paralyser" and a single flopper(hawaiian) i used to keep it on the boat to mess around with the barracudas. i would shoot it at them,(no tip) and they would just avoid it like a matador or something. i could chase 'em away with it . it probably Would work "ok" for hogfish, they are the stupidest fish i ever saw. a trigger fish would sit there too. but snappers? 20",(as suggested) would never sit there for that. MAYBE the little ones( 12") but the bigger ones are smart and wary of divers . plus they are really strong, i dont think a paralyser would be enough

I've never used one. they are pretty popular in HI though - and with some very experienced guys.

I was just in Hawaii and saw some nice fish taken with 3-prongs. There were smaller fish as well, but thats what they hunt there. The ability to get a fish into the range of a 3-prong takes a lot of practice and can make you a better hunter.

As far as bigger fish, you can put a slip tip on the pole spear. Check out Oceans in Action II for the shots in Bermuda.

3 Prongs do have their limits, but to paint them as aweful with a broad brush is kind of a narrow minded view.

The last guy in that lineup is a well-known NZ spearo, Reid Quinlan. Regularly takes large snapper up to 20+ pounds and yellowtail up to 20kg on pole spear. Uses a variety of different tips, including paralyzers. That covers big fish, right?

As for use on guns, how about Rob Torelli smashing fish with a paralyzer? He uses one in competition for reef species. Seeing as he's won Aussie nationals six times, he probably knows what he's doing.

Now that we've covered off big fish and prangers on guns, I've got several friends here in NZ that take fish on polespears of different sizes with good success. They don't have their own websites or dozens of photos with fish, but they put food on the table. That's what they're interested in, so it's hard to show vids like you can of Rob and Cam, hence why people post photos of those guys rather than Joe Ordinary. Yes, you can't take down blue water game with one very often, but just because you couldn't use one doesn't make it useless. Pull your head in.

Okay guys this has got out of hand. I have closed the thread and deleted some posts until staff have a chance to consider the situation.

Everybody calm down.

Dave

Reactions: Mr. X
Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT