• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What is a very nice suit?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

daveking

Feb 25, 2003
I am trying to decide on a suit that will be suit(!) able for competitions. I have a Cressi Super comp at the moment and it is great for being a tough suit, but I need something better for getting a good deep breath up in. My Cressi is a little constrictive.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.:)

Suit info

I have been using the Cressi SuperComp also, and yes it is a workhorse of a suit. It takes a lot of abuse. However, I just tried a custom suit from Elios Sub. From all the good info Eric posted on Hiewa neprene, and some other posts about that company, prompted one of our club members to order one. Jim Glynn loves his. I just received mine yesterday, and have not had the chance to use it. One thing that I wanted was high waist pants, unlike the johns that the Comp has. I'm also hoping the custom fit will compensate for reducing from a 6.5mm top to a 5mm all around. I chose nylon on the outside, and hope it doesn't lose too much flexibility because of that. I also opted for the gold lining, that seems identical (other than color) to Cressi's "metallite" lining.

Sorry I can't give you a performance report, but can only tell you that whenever Jim Glynn wears his, he seems to really like it. I just can't wait to be able to remove the bottoms, (for practical reasons) without needing to remove the jacket. After this weekend I'll be able to give a full report. BTW, for a custom suit with the options I chose, (many more options avail.), they only charged 242 Euros or 283 USD.

Good luck,

Jim

Hey, have either of you [or anyone else for that matter] considered cutting off the "john" portion of the Super Comp bottoms? It's a great suit but it does seem a bit constrictive in the chest. I'm plenty warm in it here in the Pacific NW and feel that cutting it off wouldn't hinder warmth too much. I guess the "tank top" could always be donned if need be. I've also considered getting a 5mm suit, most likely a custom.

Picasso 3mm biotermic chicle

i can recommend a Picasso 3mm biotermic chicle. it has a mostly smooth exterior with nylon reinforcement on some areas, and it has a gold metallic coating inside.

i've started wearing a made-to-measure version this summer and it's very good. the neoprene is very supple. it's as if you're not wearing a suit at all! you can order them through Dave Bailey in Portsmouth.

BTW - Carlos Coste used this suit for the two records he set last year... so it must be pretty good! :)

i always recommend getting made-to-measure. you have to be very lucky for an off-the-peg suit to fit perfectly. a 4mm OTP suit may not be any warmer than a 3mm MTM suit... the money you spend for that extra 1mm of neoprene could perhaps be better spent on getting a 3mm MTM...

I would never go back to off the rack now that I have a custom suit. They are really that good. Also if you are thinking about cutting down the Cressi johns, then you also have to take in the waist a good bit so it stays snug against your torso without the shoulder straps.
Jim

Elios

Elios Custom suit
smootskin outside/nylon inside
or Heiwa

Thanks for the advice guys. I definitely need a good strechy suit that is good for british waters.

Hi Dave,

have you considered the freediving suits that howard sells on the "freediver" website? Both my girlfriend and myself got these for cyprus (3mm) and we are very happy with them. You can have them in 5mm aswell AFAIK. Only cavaet: it is probably a open water / competition suit only so if you are planning to go scrambling over rocks, spearfishing etc there may be better choices. If you have any specific questions re the suit let me know and I'll try and answer anything as best i can ...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT