• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What is FRC?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Connor, what I was doing was more like relaxed exhale without forcing anything. There is some comfort volume - somewhere right there. I think comfort is the key word rather than how much air actually is in there. Hard to quantify in litres, lets just say 50% lung capacity.

I was always wondering why my kid does so much of what he calls "no air diving", silly 10 yo kid was doing it right under my nose for months while I was busy labouring purging and packing. And then I happened to notice this thread here, and some other thread on this matter. And then I tried it to my big pleasant surprise. We ended up doing rounds in our pool together on half lungs, me and my kid.

On this new question whether should I practice some more freediving before experimentation on half lung, I say who would be the judge, who will give me a green light? I can't say I know my limits, because no one really knows until it is too late. Simply a question of how do we develop anything new if we stuck doing something in some classic, generally accepted way. I think Connor may have a point in that newbee may leap forward on something new rather than old dog trying to learn new tricks. Seems like my kid discovered the fun of half lung diving on his own, and he was doing it quite successfully. I think his dives are close to 25 seconds and maybe some 25 meters if we unroll his zigzags into a straight line. He collects all coins, about a dosen of them scattered around our pool, stays down at about 6ft pretending asleep or doing some other silly things for the camera, generally look happy and relaxed. Now, if I intervene and start asking him doing all the boring breathe up and full lung dives that may ruin all the goodness. This is not about making a guinea pig out of my little boy, no way, just a matter of letting things go in their natural way.

Remebering azapa's remark about proper ballasting, I think there is a point too. Maybe if I just drop packing and all that raised shoulders-bulging belly kind of inhale, maybe that coupled with neck weight will be enough for getting into similar peaceful state of mind.

Thank you Andrew, very interesting story!

I think the way we breath also makes a big difference.
Noticing within myself the huge difference breathing speed makes.
When I do my final inhale too fast, I'll take away a huge amount of relaxation, something I cannot retrieve during the dive itself. Having a faster inhale does not at result in swimming a longer distance.

Thinking about it, I now think that retaining and gaining the best relaxed state of mind and body is key to long, beautiful and fun freediving.

(Re)learning to breath from belly, doing a proper final breath makes a big difference.
So if your son does want to learn a new trick, I would teach him how to relax, to do that just before his dive, and how to have an effective and relaxed last breath - Slow deep exhale + slow belly inhale.

I think the coins are a great way, for it does not make visible a distance, putting the spotlight on doing a big performance - affecting self esteem.

Finding the relaxation before the start is the most important thing.

Remebering azapa's remark about proper ballasting, I think there is a point too. Maybe if I just drop packing and all that raised shoulders-bulging belly kind of inhale, maybe that coupled with neck weight will be enough for getting into similar peaceful state of mind.

Andrew, try a slick top or trousers (wetsuit material) that actually INCREASES your buoyancy (and makes you slippy in the water), the right amount of lead, and with a good push of from the wall (no fins) you will get half way across the pool. It is very cool and relaxing.

Regarding the other questions, moved to a new thread. IMHO all freedivers, FRC or otherwise, should start with level 1 or 2 course (according to initial ability).

As a rough rule of thumb, I would say a level 3 freediver could start to play with FRC. Just a rule of thumb, but sounds safe.

Aida and AA(and other teaching groups, PFI, FII, etc) have courses for different levels of experience, level 1, level 2, and so forth. The categories vary a bit, but the idea is good.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT