• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What is skin diving - my definition!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

myscubastory

Feb 17, 2011
Firstly, I would like to say there are a number of misconceptions about the meaning of the term "skin diving". (...) The term was originally used to distinguish a conventional helmet (or "hard hat") diver, dressed in copper helmet and full canvas suit, from a snorkel diver who used only a mask and flippers to go underwater.

Today the term "skin diver" has evolved into a broader definition and describes anyone who swims underwater for any purpose with or without breathing equipment".

I have many books from the 1950s to the 1970s with the words "skin diving" in the title. Many of them contrast "skin diving" with "scuba diving", using the term to describe breath-hold diving only. However, just as many use the term "skin diving" to describe swimming underwater both with and without breathing gear.

I am now given to understand that the term "skin diving", which fell into disuse in the 1980s and 1990s, has now been brought back to life as a term describing something midway between snorkelling and freediving, but I wonder how widespread this use of the term "skin diving" actually is.

I also have reservations about it because I'm unconvinced that "skin diving" has ever caught on as a term outside the United States of America. In the United Kingdom, the terms "sub-aqua" or "underwater swimming" as well as "diving" were used instead in the 1950s and 1960s. "Skin diving" was never a British term, and even SCUBA diving, which is accepted nowadays in the UK, is still widely recognised as an Americanism by those who value the precise use of language.

As for free diving, I wonder whether those who free-dive realise that the term derives from the French "plongée libre", meaning diving that was free of the ropes and air hoses that tied the helmet diver to his assistants on the surface. The term "plongée libre" applied from the 1950s to underwater swimmers with or without self contained underwater breathing apparatus. Its modern usage to mean underwater swimmers plumbing the depths on a single breath is just that, modern.

You will have noticed that I have argued against skin diving as a suitable replacement for the word "snorkelling" but I haven't suggested an alternative. My first reaction is to say "let's not ditch the term 'snorkelling' until we reach consensus on a suitable replacement".

The advantage of the term "snorkelling", unlike "skin diving", is that it's used on both sides of the Atlantic. The Germans use the term "Schnorcheln" or "Schnorcheltauchen" (snorkel diving) and German is the most spoken mother tongue in Europe. I do like a term using the word "swimming", although the term "finswimming" isn't available as it's come to mean a competitive sport where people with bifins and monofins race against each other in swimming pools.

I'll leave it there for the moment!

Reactions: island_sands
At the risk of sounding rude, I can't find a point in this thread mate...

General knowledge is fine though I guess.

But is this "search for terminology" coming from somewhere. I mean does it matter who developed a term, such as SCUBA, or is it more important to value the largely lost term of "aqualung" which is was originally known as, by the legendary creator himself.

Also, I have never EVER heard of skin diving referring to anything other than snorkelling/freediving/swimming style set ups... It's odd that you write an article about this.

Also, Madarin is the world's most spoken language, does this mean that we should immediately adopt all their words in fear we have become out-dated???

Over the years, I intuitively felt that skin diving was (in modern times) referring to minimalist scuba diving, with a single 80cf tank and no BCD and usually no wetsuit.

I think such discussions are important. As free diving is becoming more popular and receives more interest also from a scientific point of view it is necessary to have a clear terminology.
Sure, you can find it useless, but people who want to go deeper into a subject need clarity. Just my opinion.

But I am sorry I do not have the expertise to contribute to the original question in this thread.

PADI have a "Skin Diving Course", which is basically a freediving course. Most freedivers would balk at some of the teaching techniques, but that's a separate discussion ;)

Reactions: skinnydipper
I understand your point ReefTroll - it seems that you are not interested in discussing the essence of these terms?

Fair enough. Anyway feel free to comment !

Uh, isn't that what I DID do? This conversation is sounding rather "wet" to me... :head

Reactions: island_sands
Yes the ''skin diving'' padi course is quite interesting, in that it gives people a taste of feediving.

These people are mostly new to open water environments, or even hold their breath underwater.

Interesting point there islands sands!

Hey myscubastory I have a question on your time frame. I,m fighting a disagreement with a local county ordinance where the term skin diving is used. The ordinance was put on the book in 1983. Do you know what definition would be the official definition for that time? Crazy, only in America would they put such and ordinance on skin diving but it is a misdemeanor to skin dive in certain areas of the county. I was threatened to be arrested by local law enforcement for scuba diving although the ordinance reads skin diving.

Pope, could you link that ordinance?

Generally, a law book has a 'definitions' section at the beginning, or the law/ordinance itself will include a definition.

Hey BatRay I will post the ordinance in it,s entirety. I spent 2 hour with the assistant state attorney of this county and he said he would get back with me on the intent of such an ordinance. He said it looked like there were a lot of holes in it and there sure was a lot of unanswered question or he just didn't want to step out on the plank and give a definite go ahead.

An act defining “spear fishing” and “salt water fish” and prohibiting spear fishing and skin diving in certain areas in St. Lucie County, Florida, and providing punishment for the violation of this act.

Section 1. In construing this act, the following words, terms and phrases shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:

“Salt water fish” shall include all classes of pisces, shell fish, sponges and crustacea indigenous to salt water.

“Spear fishing” shall constitute the taking, capturing, killing, maiming, worrying or pursuing, or attempting to take, capture, kill, maim, worry or pursue all salt water fish by thrusting, throwing, jabbing, shooting or projecting any spear, projectile, dart, arrow, gig, grain, harpoon, snatch-hook or other implement.

Section 2. No person shall at any time engage in spear fishing or skin diving in or within one thousand feet of Faber Cove in St. Lucie County, Florida, or in or within one thousand feet of the area in St. Lucie County, Florida, the boundaries of which are described as follows: Beginning at the intersection of state road no. 5 and Seaway Drive in the City of Fort Pierce; thence easterly along Seaway Drive and across the south bridge to the shore of the Atlantic Ocean; thence northeasterly to the south side of the south jetty; thence easterly along the south side of the south jetty to the east end thereof; thence northeasterly to the last end of the north jetty; thence westerly along the north side of the north jetty to the shore of the Atlantic Ocean; thence northwesterly along the shore to a point where state road no. A-1-A if extended east would intersect the shoreline; thence westerly and southwesterly along state road no. A-1-A across Little Jim Bridge, North Beach causeway and the North bridge to state road no. 5; thence southeasterly along state road no. 5 to the point of beginning; provided, however, that spear fishing shall be permitted along the north side of the north jetty.

Section 3. No salt water fish taken by means of spear fishing shall be sold, offered for sale, or purchased by any person, firm or corporation in St. Lucie County, Florida.

Sorry there's one more section.

Section 4. Violation of this act shall constitute a misdemeanor and shall be punished in accordance with law.

How about that section 3, there are four wholesale fish houses in this inlet and it looks like sec. 3 state that they are in violation of buying are offshore speared fish but have never received a ticket.

I found this late last night. It's a state statute that put this county in clear violation because there are no notices posted that show areas affected by this ordinance.

Florida Statutes 379.2425 - Spearfishing; definition; limitations; penalty
(1)*For the purposes of this section, "spearfishing" means the taking of any saltwater fish through the instrumentality of a spear, gig, or lance operated by a person swimming at or below the surface of the water.
***(2)(a)*Spearfishing is prohibited within the boundaries of the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, the waters of Collier County, and the area in Monroe County known as Upper Keys, which includes all salt waters under the jurisdiction of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission beginning at the county line between Miami-Dade and Monroe Counties and running south, including all of the keys down to and including Long Key.
***(b)*For the purposes of this subsection, the possession in the water of a spear, gig, or lance by a person swimming at or below the surface of the water in a prohibited area is prima facie evidence of a violation of the provisions of this subsection regarding spearfishing.
***(3)*The Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission shall have the power to establish restricted areas when it is determined that safety hazards exist or when needs are determined by biological findings. Restricted areas shall be established only after an investigation has been conducted and upon application by the governing body of the county or municipality in which the restricted areas are to be located and one publication in a local newspaper of general circulation in said county or municipality in addition to any other notice required by law. Prior to promulgation of regulations, the local governing body of the area affected shall agree to post and maintain notices in the area affected.

You're right, there are several weaknesses, one of which is the lack of a definition for "skin diving". Since this is a county ordinance, they need to clarify definition of that term as it applies to that ordinance. Notice that there is a thorough definition of "spearfishing" and "salt water fish" but no mention of exactly what constitutes "skin diving". If nothing else, they need to clarify that.

The county may need to post restrictions, but the county restriction may have existed prior to Florida statute 1(3). In that case, they may not have had to post a restriction if the restricted are existed prior to the state's current review process.

Personally, I don't see why they would have given you grief for scuba diving. The ordinance mentions nothing about scuba, and I've never heard of skin diving and scuba diving as being synonymous.

Thanks I will need to look into the establishment of posting notices statute. I do know the county ordinance was put on the books in 1983. What's funny about this whole thing is that there are two county parks that welcome swimming and snorkeling as well as a Florida state park that openly advertises swimming, snorkeling and scuba diving all in the said area of no skin diving.

The assistant state attorney, that I spent two hours with yesterday said he will clarify a definition of skin diving and find out what the intent of the ordinance is. He will have to do this by talks with the county attorney.

This whole thing is also a state vs county issue. The sate officers don't enforce the ordinance because the officers are sworn to uphold the Constitution of the State of Florida there's a statute (379.104) on the right to hunt and fish. This 379.104 goes back to article IV section 9 of the constitution. But like you said before I will need to find out when they were put on the books. I will post statute 379.104 and a section of article IV sec. 9 on my next post.

Florida Statutes
379.104 Right to hunt and fish.—The Legislature recognizes that hunting, fishing, and the taking of game are a valued part of the cultural heritage of Florida and should be forever preserved for Floridians. The Legislature further recognizes that these activities play an important part in the state’s economy and in the conservation, preservation, and management of the state’s natural areas and resources. Therefore, the Legislature intends that the citizens of Florida have a right to hunt, fish, and take game, subject to the regulations and restrictions prescribed by general law and by s. 9, Art. IV of the State Constitution.

CONSTITUTION
OF THE
STATE OF FLORIDA

ARTICLE IV
EXECUTIVE
SECTION 9. 

“The legislature may enact laws in aid of the commission, not inconsistent with this section, except that there shall be no special law or general law of local application pertaining to hunting or fishing.”

That last sentence sounds like the local municipalities cannot restrict hunting and fishing, and that the state commission is the only agency that can approve such restrictions. I'd clarify that point, too. Legal terms are tricky.

Well, if we look up the term in that font of all knowledge :wave, Wikipedia Skindiving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , we find the following which from what I've read, is pretty accurate:

Skindiving may refer to:
diving pedants around the world may now rejoice; all is right with the world again.

Of course, none of this changes the fact that anyone who uses such a passé term sounds quite possibly as quaint as someone who would use outdated words like "square" "howdy-doody" or "boss". zzz

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT