• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What is the difference between and INOX buckle and a quick release buckle?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

EcchiK

Feb 6, 2008
As the title states, I'm looking at weight belts now and came across two Omer belts. One labeled INOX and the other as "Quick Release".

I know for safety we need a quick release belt but I'm curious if there's actually a difference in the two or if this is just a bit of rephrasing for marketing purposes.

So, once more, what is the difference between an INOX buckle and a quick release type?

INOX is just a name for stainless steel - possibly a particular blend/brand of stainless steel. You see it on all kinds of things, I saw it on something a week or so ago, possibly cutlery. The other buckle is made of nylon, looking at their website:
Omer
Omer
Omer
cinture_p.jpg

"Complete line of spearfishing belts in Cordura and rubber combined with nylon or stainless steel."

I'd go for stainless but then I guess we are supposed to consider the weight belt as a disposable item (I've lost one) & nylon is cheaper & lighter. Can you recycle/re-use nylon like steel? Probably not.

I thought Omer also sold a rubber belt with a Marseille type belt buckle now - that design seems to be popular for spearing for some reason. It's what I use. Oh yes they do, in nylon or steel again:

Omer
cinture_mim_p.jpg

"New rubber Marseillaise belt with a nylon buckle for lighter weight and greater value, or with the classic inox buckle."

Anybody else find it ironic that they consider lightweight to be a significant feature for a **weight** belt?:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon
Ok, so it's just a marketing name. Probably In-Oxidizable or something similar. Probably short for stainless steel.

So both the belts should be quick release despite the naming. (The belt buckles weren't Marsellaise)

I was talking about bottom left and middle right buckles. But all these are technically quick release right?

Looks like you are right on the INOX name: inox - Wiktionary

Yes they are all considered quick release. You'd think a non-Marseille design might allow for finer adjustments ("infinitely variable") but I guess when combined with a stretchy rubber belt they all have similar adjustability.

echikk a marseillese belt is the best of all belts due to it's safety features... ask somebody with experience and they'll tell you why... a marseillese belt can save ur life while other belt styles won't.

Go Marseillaise in stainless steel. I've only ever had issues with the quick release style. Most recently, I had a seatec belt quickly release ~6kg of lead to the bottom of Wellington harbour :(

I have been told that the marseillaise belts are dangerous and no good when needed to be dropped quickly as they can sometimes not open properly and get caught. Haven't personally had to deal with that but i use a stainless quick release buckle with rubber belt and love it. just gotta make sure the buckle is closed tightly or yes it may want to undo and fall off.

I've heard that quick release are safer too! So I have two conflicting opinions here. I need to know the pros and cons of both to make the best decision. So anyone who's had problems with either or both or good experiences all around please let me know!

My dive buddy uses the marsellaise buckle, and he likes it. Honestly I don't think it makes a difference, SS for sure but either style will be fine, they'll both come off I believe if you open the buckle and let go!

I have had problems with my new Omer Mimetic rubber quick release belt. It does not release properly. This may be due to the rubber having a "wax like" coating that seems to be coming off as it is stretched and used.

I got a Spetton Marseilles that is thicker rubber and seems to work well. I do not know if it is the SS or Chromo buckle. I guess I can check it with a magnet.

I also have a SS QR buckle with a nylon webbing belt. I have to adjust it a few times each dive. If the webbing is cut too long, it can get caught and accidentally open.

some of the Marseilles (the Rob Allen i think) comes with a spring that holds the pin open when released, making it, on paper, sound safer.

Either way, I would recommend the Marseilles style over the "scubie" style.

I guess you'll only every find out for sure "in extremis". I suspect a more common problem is the diver not thinking or having time to release the belt - or perhaps not wanting to loose it (heaven forbid!). I lost my first RA Marseilles belt pretty early on when it released without me even noticing when I was gently but firmly washed over a small reef as I got my fins on, so I now hold the end down with a weak rubber band. I believe Bill McIntyre bends the longer end of his out for similar reasons (he uses different weights, which uses up less belt).
some of the Marseilles (the Rob Allen i think) comes with a spring that holds the pin open when released, making it, on paper, sound safer.

Either way, I would recommend the Marseilles style over the "scubie" style.
I have the RA Marseilles - nice sturdy piece of kit, I would certainly be happy to recommend it. I don't think it has a spring but you are right that the pin does spring/return to the open position - I think it is probably just the way the pin hole is made in the rubber belt that returns it to the open position (but I could be wrong). Simple, v. robust design and attention to detail seem to be RA hallmarks.

I believe OMD uses a quick release buckle (perhaps happily familiar from his years of SCUBA diving?) - personal preference. At the end of the day, they're just weight belts. Both will work (IMHO). You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Last edited:
I have always used quick release buckles, I can recall one or two occasions when the buckle has opened while swimming through thick suface weed but that was using nylon belts that always resulted in the buckle ending up on my side or even my back!
I think I will stick with the quick release style as I like the quick & priciest adjustment they offer plus I have no need to change.

Put it this way, your belt should be cheap, and the buckle should operate with out complication. You don't want to go spend silly money on a belt which you may have to ditch at some stage to save your life. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid. rubber is good cos your belt will always remain in the same position which I believe to be of far more importance than what type of buckle you have, doesn't matter how quick your buckle is to release, if it takes you more than 1 second to locate it you may aswell have sown it into your suit?

is ur choice at the end... but a marseillese rubber belt is thicker than a quick release rubber belt...meaning it will handle ur weights more properly... i have both and only use marseilles... i leave quick release as spare... by the way... another advantage of the marseilles : let's say you was fighting a fish caved in a deep reef and now u are quicking fast for the surface... you pull the tip of ur marseillese and pin will release ... if you happen to b/o or faint your belt will leave ur waist.... and you will be positive buoyant , you can't have this safety with quick release it will stay in your waist.

sorry about my english i don't know if i explain myself clear... please somebody explain him.

Reactions: Mr. X
you pull the tip of ur marseillese and pin will release ... if you happen to b/o or faint your belt will leave ur waist.... and you will be positive buoyant , you can't have this safety with quick release it will stay in your waist.

How do you figure that? I feel that the quick release would be better, that is just my opinion. with quick release all you have to do is flip the buckle and off comes your belt. But each to their own, we use equipment that we are comfortable using, in the end it comes down to what you are familiar with.

i agree with you when you say ''flip the buckle and off the belt'' ...then everytime u suspect you might b/o are you going flip your quick release? then you will loose your belt very often by going straight to the bottom when you release.... on the other hand a marseillese you disconect by pulling on the belt tip... but you never let go that tip .... is only when you b/o that tthe belt will fully release off ur waist...i wish i could find a video of how it works

cubapnea means that you can be holding the belt in a 'ready to release' position without actually releasing it. As soon as you let go, it's gone. With a quick release buckle, you can't really. That means you're more likely to do it in a slightly iffy situation, rather than think 'I'll probably make it' and do nothing. Obviously in a serious case, you'd straight-off ditch the belt.

In my experience, quick release belts don't slip off nearly as easily as marseillese ones once released, especially if you don't have too much weight on them. The slot that the belt goes through on a quick release is much narrower and the rubber tends to stick more. While demonstrating safety to new divers on courses and training sessions, I've had several cases where quick releases get stuck after release and the lead doesn't ditch without me pulling the belt through the slot.

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT