• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What is the difference between and INOX buckle and a quick release buckle?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I am new in this forum and so would like to say hello to all. First of all, I have to tell you all that I am a scuba diver and have been one since 1984. As I am interested in freediving, I was browsing around and came across this topic.

I have always used a quick release type of belt buckle - either in stainless steel or plastic. It has never presented any problems through the years and if ditched properly, it will not snag unless one had mistakenly put it on first and by doing so have put other gear over it.

The method I use in ditching is as follows:

Grasp the free end of the belt with four fingers, pressing the belt across the palm with the thumb up. Pull all the way back and then slip the thumb in between the waist and the belt. With the thumb firmly pressing against the belt, forcefully strip the belt through the buckle and away from the body. This method will work on even the most worn out belt. With some practice, this can be done effortlessly and smoothly.

Hope this helps you in your decision, Ecchik.

Pinoy Sniper

I guess the issue is remembering to do all that as you're about to black out. As anyone that's seen me at the last couple of freediving comps would vouch for, my judgement seconds from BO is a little questionable. I doubt that's just me.

My ditching procedure for my RA belt is:
1: Pull hard on end of belt
2: Let go

Reactions: foxfish
I suppose describing the process do seem long when putting it down on black and white :) but when one has been doing it long enough it becomes quite automatic, at least for me.

I guess one chooses equipment for a particular purpose - and how one is comfortable with the said equipment. Scuba is both a process and a work tool for me as I used it nearly everyday for nearly two years to feed fish and maintain fish cages that are submerged at 70 feet. Blacking out, I must admit, was not high in my list of things to watch out for - as compared to getting tangled up in lines or nets.

Respectfully,

Pinoy Sniper

I'm curious, how many of you actually unbuckle your belt and hold the rubber or non- buckle end in the event that you might black out? I mean ultimately everytime you surface from a long bottom time or deep dive you should really be unbuckling the belt, you can't feel a black out coming on, and no matter wat buckle you have your belt won't come off if you haven't unlatched it. Also when you think about it, you should be unbuckling it from the moment you begin ascending, and then fastening it once you have reached positive bouyancy or the surface? I'll be the first to admit I don't even think about unbuckling my belt. I will however try and force my self to do it to make it part of my dive habit, no matter how deep I go.

With your indulgence, EcchiK...

A question quite different from the topic being discussed. How long could a freediver, with the proper training but having an "average" level of experience, stay underwater?

Pinoy Sniper

On dives when I feel there's a risk of blackout, I unbuckle and hold the end. I don't do it often, but I don't push myself to that level too often either.

1:30 on repeat dives to ~20m with 2:00 surface times is a reasonable performance for a spearo. Newer divers will struggle and really good divers could be between 2:30-3:00 on repeat dives to 25m+.

Thank you for the information, Chrismar. I am struggling to stay at 20 feet for 40 seconds! This freediving discipline is indeed, getting interesting...as well as the topic of the quick release buckle.

Pinoy Sniper

One consideration that has not come up so far is this:
The cam buckle comes loose easily , by accident. Whoops, there goes your belt.
The Marseilles belt buckle does not come loose by accident. You must pull the end of the belt to the right to release the pin from the belt hole, and then it will just fall away. The chances of doing that "by accidnent " are pretty small.....
Cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT