• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What is the proper flutter kick technique?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Hooch

Oct 17, 2003
Can someone answer something for me? When using longfins, what is the optimal flutter kick amplitude? A buddy said I was overpowering my fins by using excessively wide kicks. He advised rapid, low-amplitude kicks, no greater than the draft created by my body flowing through the water (~12-16 inches). However, someone else mentioned that kicking in the turbulent wake created by your body is inefficient, and you should kick wide enough to clear this wake. What is the correct technique? Sorry for the newbie question.

I have found that a rapid short kick seems to work well for speed, on the way out from the beach, and a long powerful kick works better when I'm towing a load that creates a lot of drag, on the way back in with a stringer of fish hanging under my float.:) Just cruising along I use something in between. Try different kick styles while you're in the water and see what works better for you.

If you're over powering your fins you might want stiffer blades. I'm currently using Riffe Silent Hunters (O.ME.R Milleniums) and am seriously considering switching to the new O.ME.R BAT 40's.:)

I don't know of any set length for longblades. My Riffes are thirty-four and a half inches from the tip of the blade to the back of the heel cup.

Last edited:
Overpowering, to me anyway, is when the fins are made to flex so much early in the kick that you're not getting much return for your effort later in the kick. Don't just run out a get the stiffest fins you can find though. There is such a thing as too stiff which can lead to other problems such as cramped legs. Also stiffer isn't really better if you spent a lot of time on the surface.

Hi Hooch,

There probably isn't a single 'best' kick. It varies considerably with the stiffness of your fin relative to your leg strength and with speed. My pattern is much like Spearslinger. I use a stiff fin and, for speed, a relatively narrow bicycle kick that puts a lot of flex in the blade is best, but it doesn't seem to be the most efficient, maybe because you only get power out of the down stroke. I suspect that a fin matched to your strength so that it flexes a lot but not too much, coupled with a wide slow kick is the best for efficiency and medium speed. Again, it depends on the fin stiffness relative to your strength.

I would love to see some careful experimentation on this subject.

Interesting thread for us newbies.

How is fin stiffness measured? Is there some kind of rating? Can it be read off the fin?

Thanks for the input fellows. Based on your info, I think I need slightly stiffer fins. I'm currently using the Riffe Silent Hunters like Spearslinger1. I'll have to see if I can get Pez Fuerte blades.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT