• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

what is your breathe-up?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

The111

Shallow Water Whiteout
May 29, 2004
I've done several searches on here and haven't found a thread dedicated to this topic with a lot of good answers. I have no formal freediving training, or knowledge of freediving techniques. I usually just breathe really slowly (4 cycles per minute) for two minutes before apnea. However I have also tried breathing in slowly but exhaling quickly (is this hyperventilating?). I also read something posted by someone recently that entailed:

inhale 3 sec
hold 6 sec
exhale 6 sec

I tried that in a static the other night and did 3:30 which is a PB by a lot. I had almost no breathing urge, and the funny thing is, that method was posted in a thread about solo freediving, because it is supposed to keep the breathing urge very strong, for safety reasons. I tried same method a few nights later and got very strong breathing urge and couldn't come close to 3:30 again, it was very uncomfortable.

I guess I'm looking for detailed breathe-up methods like the one I posted above, the benefits and detriments of each one (i.e. suppression of the breathing urge, slowing of heart rate, risks when using on a real dive, etc). I know almost nothing about this... I've heard hyperventilating is stupid and risky, but I've also heard many say that their breathe-ups are on the borderline of hyperventilation. I don't even know what the specific definition of hyperventilation is.

All input is appreciated. :D

Bearing in mind I am relatively inexperienced (pb is 4:10), I have tried quite a lot of breathe-up techniques. The conclusion I have come to is that different things work for different people, you just have to try lots of different ways for yourself. I have found that I do best simply with long slow deep breaths (about 4 per minute) and then a couple of fast deep breaths just before the hold. However, different methods work best on different days too. So I guess the only way to find what is best for you is to keep trying lots of different ways.
Here are a couple of ideas to get you started...

5 secs inhale
5 secs hold
5 secs exhale

5 secs inhale
5 secs exhale (no hold and no gap whatsoever between breaths)

8 secs inhale
10 secs hold
8 secs exhale

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT