• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What is your normal hunting grounds?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What environment do you normally hunt in?

• Deep blue open ocean

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Reefs/Shoals

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • Lakes

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Rivers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Abandoned quarries/mines

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

drunkinbda

The boys are back in town
Jul 11, 2004
What type of environment do you normally hunt in? Since im in bermuda, all i have are reefs. ive only been to the ones about 20 ft so far, mainly because i dont have a boat and no one i go with really goes to far. how about yourself?

Last edited:
reefs kick ass because in my opinion the provide the most variety of prey, and if you decide to switch from a gun to a camera you still lots to shoot at. also i thinks its easier to observe the well being of a reef as opposed to blue water, not to mention a reef is just beautiful

yeah i love them, although id like to try some freshwater stuff near school..if i can find anywhere. i also wanna try deep water here but without being able to use guns i dont know if it would be worth it. one of the good things about reefs is that even if there are no fish around...its still a good snorkeling trip~

I hunt a variety of things...blue water, wrecks, inshore...which is pilings and submerged stuff, and jetties. Freshwater I hunt docks, ledges, rockpiles...

I'd love to hunt some reefs though.

I hunt mosly jetties and rockpiles here in Jax and jetties and some open ocean in Pcola. Just before tp storm Alex water just off the beach was really blue, but like always didn't go spearing.
Was going to go today but fiance stayed home so I stayed around and did house work. trying for tomorrow.

so i guess the majority is reef stuff... here in bermuda there the law is no spearfishing withing 1 mile of shore, and certain distances from registered dive locations. Anyone else have those limits?? Also, for my info, do you think deep blue spearfishing is possible at all with just a pole spear or are spearguns a necessity????

hunting grounds

I normally hunt in areas offshore that have either a wreck or some type of wreckage. Reefs inshore are rare due to high summer water temperatures that tend to kill any growth (and fish that decide to stay). Reefs offshore are great here for hunting in the persian gulf as Mishu points out but they are too far out from Qatar for regular visits. (40-60 km out is far enough for the wrecks!!!) If we can't find a wreck, there is plenty of junk on the bottom (old metal platforms, etc)

Keep in mind though that in summer, our inshore water temps are 30C-34C (high 86F-93F) which has a drastic effect on the fish and reef growth-like, it kills them :-(

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT