• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What is your weakest link?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What's holding you back?

• Inadequate gear

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Equalization problems

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Oxygen (breath hold)

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Fear / Nerves

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • What's the point? All the fish are at 50 ft.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 14 15.7%

• Total voters
I think it's not really fear that's holding me back but respect.

I busted my sinus a while back. Had me spittin blood for the next 3 weeks:duh

I'm scared of getting hurt but it's not fear, it's holding back and respecting her wishes.

I sound soo cheeky.

Christian

equalizing problems

I have problems equalizing. Im really afraid of breaking my eardrums if i go further without being able to equalize

Hi kingohyes,

You're right about that. You will break your eardrums if you don't equalize while descending! What's your problem with equalizing? There are lots of good threads here on this. Try doing a search on the forum and if you don't find an answer, ask. You might find that lots of people have had or have similar problems.

Adrian

Last edited:
My biggest problem is equalizing as well, followed closely by the no buddy thing! I get to around -10m, and after that I really don't seem to be able to equalize well. I've been practiceing though, and I seem to be doing alot better with one Frenzel/Fatah right before my surface dive, then decending alot slower. Also, I equalize ALOT better if I'm decending down a slope rather than a line. Being completly inverted seems to really give me a hard time. Oh well! Gives me an excuse for LOTS of practice!! :D Gotta love that!

Aaron

Equalizing, mostly

Mostly equalizing. But I've printed off Eric Fattah's advice on the Frenzel and can't wait to see if I can learn that. For some odd reason I have only about a 50% success rate on equalizing using any other method while inverted (imagine that.......)

My right ear and I have this ongoing disagreement. Sometimes the ear wins, sometimes I do.

But I shouldn't have voted quite so fast. By far the biggest hurdle for me is the lack of a buddy - everyone I know who dives at all is on scuba. I'd have to retrain them to be capable of rescuing me before I'd feel comfortable exploring my freediving limits. This is, naturally, why I haven't discovered what my limits are.

For me at different times it has been different things. The main and very obvious one is the whole fact that I am NOT fish but human and therefore get O2 from the surface.
I haven't any top of the line equipment, but along those lines, I would have more fear of losing my top of the line equipment into low vis. water, which we in Canada have a lot of. I would also not like to be in the same water as ugly looking, chomping sea-life, so I agree with Erik F. in that regard (re: not needing anything pretty to look at, the zen of low. vis, etc).
I try not to get into situations where I experience fear or, for that matter, fearlessness-- if I do, that is my instinct saying to me "Smarten up" :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT