• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What kind of license does an Alien need to spear in USA ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Locally, US Customs has 2 center console 40 footers with FOUR 250 Merc outboards on the stern...no getting away from that;)

hi

HOLY CRAP 4 250hp on a 40ft that has to set some kind of speed record. Our boat is a 20ft with a single 200hp and it does 50mph that boat would probably do 150mph unless its really heavy or something. I cant get over that 4 250hp outboards thats more impressive than someone doing an 8min static.

cheers

4 x 250 HP on a 40 footer even if light weight hull will produce I think no better than 70-80 MPH.

There is a lot of transport vessel here using 4 x 200HP on 40 footer hull.

Mercury outboards 200HP and above don't last here, it blows the cylinder head all too often, poor fuel quality here.

Yea, I would never want to own a big Mercury 2-stroke. Everyone I have ever known who had one, had consent problems with them, and has put lots of money into them. But then again they are American so I am glad my government buys them.

Speaking of licenses, I just got my federal commercial tuna permit. I talked to a fish wholesale place and they said they would buy all I could bring them, with the permit. I asked the guy if I needed a State license too, which I can’t get, because Texas isn’t selling anymore for 3 years and because they also have an earned income rule (you must earn a substantial amount of your income from fishing to qualify for one.). He looked up in his book, and Rig you were partway right. To transport any fish caught in Federal water through State water to sell, or if you are a charterboat, you must have a State commercial/charter license. If your recreational, you don’t need any kind of state license if they are caught in federal water.

The permit only cost $27 and its one of the few commercial licenses that is still available. I figure, what the heck, if I get one, then I will be grandfathered in for renewal, even if they stop issuing them, plus if I catch a few in one trip, I might want to sell one or two to pay for the trip. The commercial permit cost the same as the recreational permit and you are allowed to retain fish for your own consumption.

Now I just need to get into some Y.F.!
Don

Originally posted by Iyadiver
4 x 250 HP on a 40 footer even if light weight hull will produce I think no better than 70-80 MPH.

There is a lot of transport vessel here using 4 x 200HP on 40 footer hull.

Mercury outboards 200HP and above don't last here, it blows the cylinder head all too often, poor fuel quality here.

These are cigarrete style racing hulls and are 100+ mph boats.:cool: Guess the government isnt as worried about fuel or longevity. We recently had a fisheries boat sink in the harbor. It had brand new 225 4strokes. They just went and bought a new setup...:head

this is a bit off topic as far as fish regulations go, but i was wondering how a four stroke handles being submerged? most of the launches we do are through the surf, and the two strokes can handle a swim, if they need to. any ideas?

cheers

Mak

4-strokes

I have Suzuki 4-strokes and I attempted to beach lunch my cat one day. It was one of the worst days of my life. The good news is that the engines did get a lot of surf on them and they were fine. Most of the 4-stroke manufactures use many of the same parts as their two-stroke outboards. The only way to get water inside one is to suck it down the air intake, and they engineered the air intake with the same dry design as the two strokes.

Now if you ever did get water in an outboard, I would much rather take apart a two-stoke than a four-stroke. I used to race motocross and taking apart a two stroke is not nearly as big a deal as a 4-stroke. My Suzuki’s have some non-stainless steel in house clamps and screws under the housing, and I have gotten some water in there. Ever year I replace a few with stainless ones.

If the 4-stroke weighs extra, that could be a concern, because trying to back a stern heavy boat into the surf is a nightmare. Even besides the beach, extra weight of a 4-stroke usually means less performance. Many times, the boat was designed for a little less weight on the stern than what the 4-stroke is, so compare the weight of the engine you are looking at to 2-stroke in the same category and other 4-strokes.

Here are few pointers for looking at 4-strokes. The ones developed from auto engines are usually heavy. These include Honda 90 & 130’s. They were developed from the Accord engine. Suzuki 60 & 70’s were developed from their Geo engines and are also heavy.

Good, lightweight, 4-strokes were either developed from motorcycle engines or made just for outboards. These include all Yamaha 4-strokes, Suzuki 40 & 50’s, Suzuki 115 to 140’s, and Honda’s new 225.

Most Honda’s under 130’s are carbureted, which I feel is not modern enough and less reliable than modern fuel injection. Yamahas are great, but I believe they all use a camshaft belt, which means you eventual have to replace it or run the risk of it breaking and causing major damage if the pistons hit the values, just like in most small cars. Suzuki is the only manufacture to use all electronic fuel injection and chain driven camshafts.

The next thing to consider is the availability of service and parts. Suzuki in the U.S.A. doesn’t have very many dealers and parts are expensive. With both Suzuki and Yamaha you can buy the engines as an Evinrude or a Mercury which sometimes can be an advantage in finding warranty service and parts.

Evinrude/Johnson went bankrupt a few years ago and parts were difficult to get for their fourstroke, which really were Suzuki’s. Now they are own by Bombardier. Mercury has been financially stable.

When replacing normal maintance parts, try your auto parts store. I had to special order the oil filters from Suzuki and they cost $20 a piece. The next time I went to the auto parts store. The store could not find the Japanese filter number in their computer, so I went through all of their Frame motorcycle filters until I found one with the same inlet and outside dimensions. They cost $4. I have replaced them with the same Frame filter for 3-years now without any problems. I did the same thing with the fuel filters.

Personally, I love 4-strokes. They get great gas mileage, idle so quietly you forget their running, never foul their plugs, and they don’t smoke or smell. At night, because they are so quiet and idle so good, you can leave them running so you can leave the lights on and not run the batteries out. All-in-all they are just better to live with. I would never go back to a 2-strokes.
Don

Reactions: Griff
dare to keep local cops off water

here in washington if u r a rez(1yr continuous) you still need to pay $70 for a combo license(fish/shelfish). ling cod(bacala kind of not really) forget about it you get one month out of the year for them with limits depends on the year. rock fish=1 a day, octo=0 closed permanatly, wolf-eel=0 likewise, cabezon it depends on the region and absolutely no fresh water fish. the fines a huge and all gear is confiscated(wouldn't i look silly standing on the beach here naked in the rain mid winter) this means ALL gear sometimes even the boat(rumors unsubstantiated). for non rez i think it is in the quasi150-200 dollar range for a license.

the limits work, there are so many ling that when you plunge 20metres blind though the phytoplankton sea here i can bet that you will land on a nice 15-18 kilo fish...

the deal about the cops, especially the locals is that they do the patrols in crazy custom aluminum boats. we're talking about tiny rural atolls here give me a break please now i know where my 70$ went not to studies or preservation but a seafaring american version of dudley do wrong. they spent thousands upon thousands here to train the glock toting jumpsuit wearing count mounties to be come salts of the lesser seas. i hav ethe series of photos for proof if you want to see... i watched them as they tried to lauch the outboard boat first by firing up the motor whilts still very dry and on the trailer. a sage officer told them to stop that an he himself proceed to play with the outboard trim, leaving it fully down(one can only guess as to why he thought this ws a good idea). as yet another officer of the law behind the wheel of the tow vehicle backed the boat and trailer down the ramp effictively removing the prop & skeg on a sand bar. but did he stop no he pushed until he bent the hydralic rams and the transom. oh well they just took it back to the custom fab shop and started over. this is the product of small government at work here in washington state(only good for a belly laugh):duh

On Wed. we were detained by the USCG for over an hour while they ran everyones drivers license numbers:duh They knew it was a charter trip but the dive flag sent them into red alert. They did not bother to check ANY of the 100 or so boats fishing on the nearby lumps.

Guess our camo wetsuits made us look like the Osama Freedive Team:confused: They made us stay in one corner of the boat and then wanted to talk about fishing like we were all old buddies. Not a good time and the captain was quite unhappy with the situation. Oh well, at least no rigs were blown up, b/c standard terrorist protocol is to covertly plant explosives instead of just ramming shit:hmm

"...and the land of the free...":hmm

Our local harbour used to let spearos dive the inner breakwall for jewfish but since the war on civil rights and common sense started thats been stoped.

where will it end?:confused:

bad word,ha ha

say jewfish here in the states and the politicly correct will spear you! when i was younger skateboarding was ok then the police started harassing the kids as a result the kids rebelled(self fullfilling pophecy), it was ok to spearfish, freedive, scuba dive, now you have to watch your back not from osama but from the people that are supposed to be honoring and upholding our rights and freedoms:confused:

The CG was just doing their jobs. I have no problems with that. Just kinda funny how it all goes down...at least I can still dive our oil production rigs, just ask Iya.

thats cool

but we must admit there is doing your job and there is being dogmatic, right? are you a hard hat diver also?

Aussie jewies are a different species to the American ones. Actually quite closely related to white seabass..:p

Yea,
There was a terrorist alert given to all law enforcement to be on the lookout for terrorist activities involving divers. I think they said they got a tip that al Qaeda associates had taken scuba classes.

I read where they had been considering, last year, about making it illegal to come within something like 300 feet of any oil production platform, rig, etc.. Apparently several organizations started communicating what kind of effect this would have on recreational fishing and diving (which meant their would be a lot of upset people) and the lawmakers dropped it. The USCG is probably been told to watch out for divers, especially in the Gulf of Mexico, since most diving is on oilrigs.

I sure hope this doesn’t go to the point of us being banned, like IYA is from oilrigs. If this happened it would just about shut down all diving here.
Don

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT