• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question What kind of spearfishing torch do you like?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Iristuo

Sep 23, 2020
A dive light is the essential part in spearfishing gears, which helps you hit top speeds in the water and enjoy the exciting fish hunting experience. So what’s your favorite dive light (type/brand/model) for spearfishing?

From the dive light’s size, brightness, beam angle, switch, lighting colors... what are the features of a good spearfishing torch upon your experience and preference? Beside, where do you make spearfishing? Will you use different dive lights at differnt spearfishing locations?

Your sharing is much appreciated!

Not so essential.
It is Illegal to use an artificial light to spearfish in Australia & many other countries.

Have been using the Sporasub Eyelight.
As you can see from the picture it is well used. Never had any problems with it and the battery seems to last forever still. Very bright, well made and compact.
8cf10d8533a30941f89e7d549d3174f7.file

Came with a charger and a case. Two things could be improved. The lanyard was a piece of rope instead of elastic rubber band and the switch is not super smooth as it was when new.
The new version made by Omer (Eyelight 2) has these features standard. Would buy it again immediately.

I often Hunt in France where a light is illegal. This has thought me how to hunt without. Have your eyes adjust to the dark before you look in the hole. Without a light the chances to scare skittish fish are far smaller and it forces you to step up your game. However anywhere else it is still a standard part of my kit, although i seems to use one less and less these days.

Last edited:
I guess that you can change the power output, 100%, 50% or 25% and I think that there is an indicator letting you know the remaining state of battery charge.

I am new to diving, so I have never tried out this torch, but to me it seems to be quite good.... while also quite expensive...

It seems a bit too expensive for what it is. What features does it have that it stands out compared to others?
I have a similar torch for exploring, I don't use one for spearfishing. The features of lights like this are anti-features for spearing. The button-switch icm the multiple modes makes handling it a pain. You have to feel around to find the button, and to turn it off you have to remember it which mode the light was and probably check if it really turned off by looking at it. For spearfishing anything you can't use without looking at it is unpractical.

My advice: go with the slide-switch lights as linked in one of the top posts.

Reactions: Kodama
I agree that a slide switch is the way to go and fortunately the new version of the Eyelight has one. I got used to the original switch but do forget to turn it off sometimes after shooting a fish only to notice it is still on while beating up for my next dive.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT