• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question What kind of training is best for freediving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

IanMac

May 30, 2012
Hi gang. I'm 66 years old and despite some old injuries, I'm still active with biking, weights and swimming. I'm also newly single and have some time. I have done some SCUBA (NAUI) and played Underwater Hockey in the 80's. My love of water hasn't left me, and I enjoy trying to hold my breath.

So what is the best way to start training aside from biking and perhaps just being underwater in the pool?

Is there still a club in Toronto?

Advice welcome and thanks.

Ian

Read the "training and techniques" forum on this website. Learn about O2 and CO2 tables and do those

Hi gang. I'm 66 years old and despite some old injuries, I'm still active with biking, weights and swimming. I'm also newly single and have some time. I have done some SCUBA (NAUI) and played Underwater Hockey in the 80's. My love of water hasn't left me, and I enjoy trying to hold my breath.

So what is the best way to start training aside from biking and perhaps just being underwater in the pool?

Is there still a club in Toronto?

Advice welcome and thanks.

Ian
Hi Ian, there's lots of possible things to train in preparation for freediving, especially in these 'viral' times. Some ideas you can find in the following blog posts on https://freedivehurghada.com/:
- Preparation for freediving
- Static breath hold training for beginner freedivers
- Stretching yoga and pranayama for freediving
Have fun, and looking forward to seeing you under water someday!

Hi Ian
Roy here @ 65 yr old :) Loving my freediving ..thing is: it’s the simplest and most natural thing isn’t it, so let’s not over complicate it? There are plenty of sharks out there, however, who will offer you deals like ‘20m after 3 days’ ..dunno. Might work, but it’s gotta be dodgy if it takes no account of individual capacity.
The only international accreditation that I could find when starting was AIDA http://www.aidainternational.org.
Works for me :)

If you can afford it, a class can do a lot. Performance Freediving International and Freediving Instructors International are excellent. Both were developed by freedivers, FII by Martin Stepanek, a multiple world record holder, and PFI by Kirk Krak, his coach.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT