• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What Length gun?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
There may be some new railguns that you would rather have when the big fish time comes in a few years, And you might have wished that you waited on the 130. No point in not use the gun for a year or so. If you know what I mean.

All valid points, but I don't care if I have the latest and greatest, so long as I get the fish. Going out for a bit of a play this arvo, no guns involved, just a snorkel in the shallows to test out my new mares star elite mask. See if the mirrored lense gets me closer to some fish. I'm assuming the fish will be out today? 40deg. C. northerly wind so it should be pretty flat out there hopefully. Thanks again for all the input.

As already been mentioned...size gun depends on the type of hunting...General all around size (if such exists) IMO would be a 90-100, max 110cm) my son's first gun was a riffe euro 90 (or 100 depends from where you measure) and he loves it for everything we've done...I shoot farters (airguns) 97cm cyranos, I like them and I think for reef fishing in/& around Miami its a tough choice to beat, loads fast, simple and deadly, I make band guns and they too are great, but at the end it boils down to personal preference, and what YOU have confidence in. I would wait to get your second gun, the way tech. is moving in this sport, who knows whats around the corner:confused:...so to answer your question, as some legendary spearos here have already suggested go 90-100cm. And another suggestion, if possible try to head out and get some different "loaner" guns, nothing better than test shootin' you products...my 2 centavos...good luck!

Reactions: bgill
I highly recommend the Sumora website for this page on selecting the correct length speargun: sumora, official distributors of Rabitech and Rob Allen

The visibility that you typically encounter will have a very large baring on selecting the best sizes/compromise size. If your locale is like South Africa, I think 110/115 & 120 are popular general use sizes. On the other hand, if you visibility is more like Britain, then 60-100cm (75-90cm usually) will be the size range to look at.:D Good luck!

All valid points, but I don't care if I have the latest and greatest, so long as I get the fish. Going out for a bit of a play this arvo, no guns involved, just a snorkel in the shallows to test out my new mares star elite mask. See if the mirrored lense gets me closer to some fish. I'm assuming the fish will be out today? 40deg. C. northerly wind so it should be pretty flat out there hopefully. Thanks again for all the input.

Gday Newbie, Were abouts in Oz are u from? I gather from the temp u are either Adelaide or up north somewhere?

Im from Perth and it hasnt been that hot for awhile, which kinda sux as i have just started spearing and now winter is coming :(

Back on track, i use a cressi sub sl100 air gun and find it quite nice to handle in around the reefs and should be pretty nice in open water.

Hi Mongrel,
I'm from good ol' melbourne, we've had a real hot last 2 weeks, got some relief today, think it might have been around 26 or so. Yeh winter sure is coming so I guess I should be saving my money and getting the new wetsuit as I'm gonna freeze the boys off if I don't.

From what other people have told me the vis can be really really good or pretty shoddy, just depends on tides and which way the wind is blowing. Guess that's normal for anywhere. I just gotta learn what winds are good and which aren't. only coz I'll be driving for 2.5-3hours to get to where I will be diving.

I have decided to go with the Rob Allen 100cm Caranx with 1X20mm band. I have also ordered a Tuna with 2X16mm in 130cm. I just met a guy at the gym where I work who is into spearfishing and has a boat so it shouldn't be too long and I'll be itching to get out in the blue water.

Thanks to all who have offered their opinion and/or advice, will post pics of fish when i catch some. 4 weeks till my guns arrive home.:friday

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT