• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What line to put on a reel?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Kev

Dec 11, 2004
I have just got myself a new omer sub reel but am now wondering what type of line, strength, diameter etc to use. My spearing is done in the UK with a mixature of open water and hole fishing, target fish usually being bass. Any suggestions as to the best type of line to use would be greatly appreciated. At the moment I am thinking of trying to get hold of some 2mm kevlar, but have no idea where the best place to source this from is.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

kevlar is good, since you will not hunt pelagic you can also use thinner kevlar. The one with yellow spots supplied by OMER (I guess) is good, the other white spoted one is bit thicker but not essentially stronger :)

I use the braided Dacron Beuchat markets - seems to work well for me.

The picasso Line is also my favorite.

It comes in 132ft rolls, or you can buy it in bulk also.
Try: www.picassoamerica.com

Brandon

Attachments

• spectra_line_reel.jpg
    spectra_line_reel.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 184
  • omer50reel.jpg
    omer50reel.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 142
Just a thought, seeing as your biggest catch isnt likely to exeed 10Kg, wouldnt 2mm nylon parachut cord be ok? its readily availible in the UK for peanuts in any colour you want. I used this stuff as my main shooting line for years with only one breakage and that was because I didnt change it for about 5 years. Use something exotic as a shock leader and parachute cord for pulling in a fish. Just a thought

Just one question , why do you need a reel in northern europe?
I haven't found a good reason to use a reel yet.
maybe for Congers but thats about all, that I can think of.
things can get messy and complicated with reels.
I always apply the KISS principle, and as I get older and dumber it works better and better!

I agree with Huan, depending on the type of fishing that you are going to have, you have to consider the use of a reel or not.
If you catch small fishes and, lets say, almost never in holes or in ''easy holes'', then a reel is not necessary. If the fishes are medium-big in holes, then you need a reel.
If you know that you are going to find congers then a reel is useful.

So, does it really apply to your kind of fishing?

Cheers,

Roberto

If you want Kevlar I have it in stock in the UK, drop me an email or PM
Personally, if I used a reel in the UK I would use cheap 2mm nylon, easy to handle, plenty strong enough for the UK, and most importantly, easy to cut if you get caught up in it.
cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk

Thanks to all of those who have offered advice so far. I agree that that in most circumstances in the UK a reel is not needed at all, however i find myself fishing ever deeper waters 40-50feet+ and one particular area that i fish has the largest overhangs i have ever seen, on several occassions last year i had to leave my gun in place (attached to a floatline ) for several dives until a fish could be brought to the surface. The reel will be an attempt to make thing a bit easier. That said i will be the first to admit that there are some inherent dangers attached to this method and that i might be making thins worse, but only time will tell. I will let people know how i get on.

Can i just add a welcome back to Allison and wish her and her husband a very speedy recovery. Kev

Reactions: Alison
Sounds like you may be better off with a floatline setup, shoot the fish, drop the gun,hold on to the float.

I used to have a reel on my 120 Picasso Century Carbon. But as mentioned above - I've never needed it.

I also never need teh 120 in UK waters ;)

Haun, I understand what you are trying to get across and i agree with you that in the end this might be what i go back too. The reel is an attempt to try something different. I have not been very comfortable once spearing a fish in transfering the float line to the gun, and spearing with the gun already attached just does not work unless you are using a long elastic bungee.

Ben, I too have never felt the need to use a gun of over 90cm but know two divers that use them on the ground where this reel set up is to be used, they swear that the extra length is needed on this particular dive. Just to add this this peice of ground holds some very large bass.

i think the best part of using a reel is the fact that you still have your gun. if for some reason you cant go back down you can just cut you line and buy another shaft. last time i checked a shaft is a lot cheaper than a gun.

Kev the need for bungee, i think not. Hold float in one hand couple foot slack to gun in other hand (wave and tidal movement to gun gone ) reel lines And float lines==nightmare

2mm Kevlar is perfect for these waters, no need for more unless you're off after bluefin tuna on the West coast of Ireland and in that case you'll be looking at a couple of beefy floats anyway ;)

I've tested with/without and have never needed one apart from as said: going specifically for conger/hole fishing.
I got one with my Pal90 and it will be used very rarely, mainly because it can get messy real fast, as also said, especially if you're going after smaller-medium sized fish and shooting quite frequently.
I've never found a use for a gun tube bigger than 90cm either but the shorter lengths come in very handy.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT