• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What makes some freedivers that do not look like athletes, exceptional freedivers?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

HooSlayer

Oct 20, 2018
besides diving technique, what physiological or mental traits make some freedivers which do not appear athletic body-wise, exceptional freedivers. The majority of those who excel are thin or have low BMI, but I am aware of some guys that that don't have the stereotypical freediver figure (flabby have a gut, etc) that are very good freedivers. They've obviously figured something out that I have not. I've always taken the train hard, eat well approach and hope that this results in freediving gains, but I feel like I might be missing something when I observe people like I'm asking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: xristos
I don't think any of the current world record holders in freediving are flabby. They all are thin as a rail, at least when they set their records.. Sure, there are many awesome freedivers on the periphery of the elite, who can do amazing dives who are also a bit "flabby" - but they aren't the elite record holders.

I don't think any of the current world record holders in freediving are flabby. They all are thin as a rail, at least when they set their records.. Sure, there are many awesome freedivers on the periphery of the elite, who can do amazing dives who are also a bit "flabby" - but they aren't the elite record holders.

Yea I'm not talking about elite world record holders.

I'm talking about people that are exceptional but not to the point at competing at the professional level and setting WR.

So back to the question, they obviously have something because they can out dive people that are thin, ripped and train hard. what is it that they are doing or have going for them that causes this?

The training to become "thin and ripped, takes a lot of energy that could otherwise be spent on freedive training.

In other words, these "flabby" freedivers train much more efficiently (for freediving) than the "thin and ripped" freedivers do.

It also has to do with individual genetics. Some people just naturally have bigger lungs, or stronger dive reflex, or higher tolerance to co2, etc. If you have all of those then you will do well even if you are flabby/out of shape.

I think in freediving you get like 60% performance from relaxation, 30% from technique and maybe 10% by actual strength and fintess. So you can get a long way without actually be super fit.

Upper-body muscles that are useless for freediving burn oxygen. The best spearfishers I know that hunt at 50 meters are smallish in statue and have very moderate muscle development.

You have a good point and I agree with you. It's interesting that some who excel in Free diving are not as "athletic looking" as one might expect. As a former [1993-1999] long distance open water swimmer, I'm amazed that some of our fastest collegiate/Olympic distance swimmers appear "unathletic" and yet possessed "elite" cardio vascular/pulmonary systems. This includes APNEA training in which swimmers attempt Hypoxic sets that can easily exceed 100 Meters--without the benefit of the MDR. In Dave Scotts book, Triathlon Training, he mentions how he first learned about the Iron Man. He was approached by a rather "unathletic" looking fellow--John Collins--who informed Dave of the distances required to finish the race. The book is awesome and is a must read for anyone desiring a sound understanding of exercise physiology. Last year I decided to give freediving a shot. What I discovered reminded me of what I'd learned during my competitive years and in nursing school. THE NEED TO DEVELOPE A STRONG HEART AND STRONG LUNGS! Regardless of ones appearance, the key to life--free diving or not--is an efficient circulatory system which provides robust perfusion throughout our bodies.
It's what you can't see that really matters!

Life's too short to swim without fins!
Ken Boring

Reactions: Sorandril
Maybe you need to throw in the enjoyment factor. If you really enjoy what you are doing, you are likely to keep doing it, improving as you go.

Maybe you need to throw in the enjoyment factor. If you really enjoy what you are doing, you are likely to keep doing it, improving as you go.
I couldn't agree with you more! Although those 5 AM mornings when it was 28 degrees outside [in Fla if you can believe that], getting in was TOUGH, but worth the effort at years end when it was race time in Key West.

I think sometimes their lungs might be in their belly. Its happened before to a pro cyclist from France, and me.

Causes the appearance of a gut.

High level freediving is incredibly dependent on metabolic efficiency--the body's ability to do a lot with very limited resources. This is something that occurs a cellular level and has nothing to do with the way an athlete looks. This sets freediving apart from all other sports. Elite competitive divers train for this but also a certain amount of power and technique to achieve their dives, whereas your old, flabby spearfisherman who is an incredible diver usually needs nothing more than metabolic efficiency that they likely developed through many thousands of hours in the water. There is no shortcut to metabolic efficiency.

High level freediving is incredibly dependent on metabolic efficiency--the body's ability to do a lot with very limited resources. This is something that occurs a cellular level and has nothing to do with the way an athlete looks. This sets freediving apart from all other sports. Elite competitive divers train for this but also a certain amount of power and technique to achieve their dives, whereas your old, flabby spearfisherman who is an incredible diver usually needs nothing more than metabolic efficiency that they likely developed through many thousands of hours in the water. There is no shortcut to metabolic efficiency.
Although I must say stimulating HIF using pranayama burned the fat off me quickly

Interesting question! Let´s take alexey molchanov for example. He has a very strong build, strong legs and upperbody, not as lean and tall as olympic swimmers.
How tall is he btw?

Interesting question! Let´s take alexey molchanov for example. He has a very strong build, strong legs and upperbody, not as lean and tall as olympic swimmers.
How tall is he btw?
IT seems like people that are very barrel chested and just natural muscular without being shredded are good. Maybe their heart, which is a muscle is bigger or stronger? Pipin Ferraras is an example of this. He trained hard of course but i've read that he has a high lung volume vs normal divers.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT