• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What makes you stop your attempt.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

arbateman

Jul 16, 2002
Is it the number of contractions that you can handle that makes you stop your breath hold? My best static is only about 4min, but with no contractions. I hate contractions. (as you may be able to tell I am new to this sport) Is getting used to contractions one of the main factors in extending your time?
Do any of you out there enjoy a casual free dive (meaning not going for a personal best) and experience contractions while still enjoying being down there and exploring? I understand the excitement of going deep, but I also love the quiet effortless exploring. (sorry I have kind of gone from asking a question to some sort of prose)

Alan

hi

Contractions are what stuffs my breatholds up im similar to you in that Im new and hate contractions My heart rate goes up I get nervous and my face gets real warm do you experience this.

cheers

I don't really get contractions...

I've had Samba's 3 times so I've pushed it too far sometimes, but never did I have serious contractions (untill the samba happens that is...then I'm rocking like crazy but I never remember it).

So I stop when I feel I'm gonna lose consciousness soon...Feels like my head is gonna explode.

I do get the contractoins sometimes while diving deep tho...

Static Pb : 4min30sec

hello alan,

welcome to deeperblue, im happy we have another canadian on the forum.

contractions very different from person to person

personally contractions are only a problem after about 20-25 (about a minute) but i also get contractions quite early in static apnea (at about 3:30 for a 5:00 hold) although i have had them start as early as 1:30 and gone to do a 4:00 hold (2.5 minutes of contractions)

some people dont get contractions at all, and must rely on something else to tell them to breath.

me, to stop a hold, i wait until i get my "tingly" feeling (i have pushed past this feeling a few times and samba about 20-25sec. after it starts, so it gives me a nice barrier)
this feeling has occured after 10 contractions but i have also had it as late as 37 contractions

have fun

Similar problem

I have a similar problem. When I practice dry, I usually start to get that head exploding, red face, have to breath symptom. I have fought it off for about 20-25 seconds and quit. People inform me that I have plenty more oxygen and thats only co2 buildup, and my natural body telling me to breath. But i cant imagine being 50-60-70 ft down and experiencing this. How uncomfortable! .....and scary.

PS does extending your static time also increase your UW time?

hi mark9989

I have tested a few things to try increase underwater time. First I did around 5 weeks of static dry training got up to 5:06 pb. This didnt though increase my underwater time in ocean. I have now been running 20min a day 5 days a week for 10 days and I went diving 2 days ago and found a big incraese in underwater time.

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT