• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question What next?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

grarena

Jan 19, 2019
Let me explain. I’m 62. Always had ability to hold underwater. Years ago 3 min was routine. About 6 months ago I read this site about CO2 and O2 charts. Within 1 week I was at 5 min. During dry training 2 weeks ago hit 6 minutes. No hyperventilating but usually for me I will do a 3 min hold, then 3:30 hold then go for it. 2 min rest between. 5 min hold I do most days now. Still doing some CO2 training. 1:30 hold. 1 breath between 8 times. It’s quick. I’m a physician don’t have much time.

Almost no time spent in the water but I’m interested in that next.
1- what kind of potential do I have?
2- could I do even better in water(diving reflex)?
3- are there competitions(might be fun? Where are these?
4- I feel 7-8 min is achievable by end of the year. Where do I stack up and do they have age categories in these competitions?

Thanks in advance

Welcome and congratulations, your performance is excellent.

1. lots, but reason to be careful in the water. You might have very high c02 tolerance, which can put you are more risk of BO than most divers. In the water, have a buddy, trained in what to do in a BO.

2. yes, in the water is different and takes getting used to. Some divers do better dry, some wet.

3. yes, check the internet, not my area.

4. probably is. You already have an age advantage over younger divers if your lungs are in good shape (lower metabolism) No age categories than I know of.

for comparison, I'm 69 and dive much longer and deeper than I did at 25. Part of that is technique and part age.

That’s a good point about lower metabolism. I didn’t think of that. Thanks for your response. I feel I must tap into whatever potential I might have or I’m wasting it. I will be sure to have a buddy in water.

You're off to a great start! Getting to 7 or 8 minutes is often much harder than the first 5 or 6. Can I ask, what sort of sport or exercise history do you have?

You're off to a great start! Getting to 7 or 8 minutes is often much harder than the first 5 or 6. Can I ask, what sort of sport or exercise history do you have?
I was a good runner back in my younger years. Best 5k was 16:52. 10k 35:50. Did a lot of miles. Hard on my body and at age 62 don’t run but do go to the gym 5 days a week. High rep lighter weights. I’m 6 feet. 175 pounds. You may be right. I’m convinced 7 min is in reach. I’m also convinced I’ll get a boost in water in addition. No benefit of diving reflex doing dry statics. By the way I was at age 55 still running a 21 min 5k. Thanks for your response. You can tell I’m new here and trying to decide do I want to get in a competition. I noticed there aren’t too many at 7 min and even 6 min is in good company.

The reason I asked is that people with significant training backgrounds in endurance sports tend to do well. I met a former pro cyclist who could do 5min without much bother and dove to 40m on his first day. So yes, I'd say you have a great leg up on most "beginners" because of your efficient energy usage. The main trick for competitions is a) trying to stay calm in the minutes and hours before your official top b) learning the rules and how to start and finish your static properly c) figuring out gear and staying at the right temperature (differences between wet and dry static) and d) learning what your body does when it gets close to its limit in the water (with a buddy who knows what to do). In your first comp you might aim for what you know you can already do, 5-6min and see how it feels. Do you have anyone you can train with at the pool to try some wet statics?

I might add that at least for me, doing hard statics in the water is much more enjoyable, especially the first 3-4 minutes before resisting contractions starts. I love watching the light dance on the floor of the pool and letting myself float.

I might add that at least for me, doing hard statics in the water is much more enjoyable, especially the first 3-4 minutes before resisting contractions starts. I love watching the light dance on the floor of the pool and letting myself float.
Thanks again for your response. Yes I know people that can watch me in a pool setting. My wife is a nurse but maybe need someone else in case has to pull me out of the water? I think you are right. I was in endurance sports for many years at a pretty high level and that may indeed give me an advantage. My plan is to concentrate on statics and then morph to something dynamic not sure just what. Since we have ability let’s use it. Should I try a competition in the US? I live in New Orleans La and it’s hard to find competitions it seems. I know France has the world in September but that’s a long way to go. I’m convinced I can do a 7 min static this year. No doubt in my mind and if I can that would be very good. I saw 2018 a guy that did 6:17 was 300th in the world. 7 min is maybe top 50. You are right tho. I need to work in water and do a 5-6 min there. I’m not getting the benefit of the diving reflex and I’m wondering if 7 min is doable on land? I think water it is tho. As always thank you. My Name is Gregg Arena. I’m an anesthesiologist.

By the way love the handle laminar. Laminar flow is advantageous in breathing and swimming lol.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT