• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What Rubber belt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ivan

looking for deeper water
Jan 26, 2002
hi

Im keen to try out a rubber belt and see just how good they are compared to webbing belts. I dont know what type I should get, on the omer website they seem to have some good ones there so I was thinking about their rubber belts, but the shop I buy my stuff from has these ones called the Marsilles or something apparently they have holes in them like a normal clothing belt.

Wouldnt it be hard to get the right fit with that setup, with a normal belt you just pull it tight and clamp the buckle down.

Which one would you recommend

cheers

Hey Andy mate, we make our own - you can buy the rubber stuff from the right kinda shop (;)) for really cheap, and just slap one of your buckles on it.

My folks should have sold their house in a month or so, so I'll be up your way maybe mid Nov? I'll bring mine up then and show you... send you a PM now.

Reactions: ivan
hi

Thanks bud.

Does it have to be a special kinda rubber or what.

My mate and I headed out to the reef on Sunday in my 12ft tinny, was a good day calm with fairly good vis, we nailed quite a few trout plus a 13lb black spot tuskfish which is my second favourite eating fish after Green Jobbies :D

cheers

Ps My apnea sucks at the moment have been working too much to do any training I could hardly dive 50ft :(

cheers

Hi Ivan,

I just bought one with the holes and belt buckle. Very superior to a nylon belt. No problem getting a good fit on me, the stretch in the rubber seems to overcome the distance between the holes. I'm a little uncomfortable with the possibility of it hanging up if I tried to drop it fast, but nobody else seems to think that is a problem.

Good luck on finding the best for you.

Connor

hi

Yeah if I dont get down to the shops and buy a neoprene strap soon I will buy one like that

cheers

hi,

had an omer one (plastic clamp buckle) for three years now, can't fault it. Just the right width for the weights I use too, which stops them sliding off just nicely.

You guys are probably right about making your own though, got to be cheeper :D

cheers

hi

How did you find the Omer belt was it slipping around when descending at all.

cheers

For the past year and a half or so I've been using a Rob Allen marsellaise-style rubber belt that I bought from Florida Freedivers here in the States.

FinsWeightBelts_12.JPG

I did have to ask Mike at Florida Freedivers to punch some additional holes in the belt so that I could cinch it up tightly enough.

They also sell slip-on weights which have worked out well.

FinsWeightBelts_16.JPG

I've basically found a rubber belt to be vastly superior to a belt made out of webbing. The latter tend to slip around and I end up with a sore lower back. Assuming that you tighten the rubber belt enough (and slip it down a little past your waist), it will stay nice and secure as you dive and your wetsuit compresses.

hi

Thanks Frank. That was my main concern with that type of belt cos Im really skinny and I thought that there wouldnt be enough holes to pull it up tight enough. Might order one this weekend or go shopping and buy some neoprene strap and make my own.

cheers

I've tried loads and found the OMER one with the plastic buckle is the only one that does not slip and end up around my boobs at the end of a dive.

As for dropping it.. I had a wee panic attack and decided to lose my weight belt at around 30 a couple of months ago. I undid it but did not pull it clear enough. It fell down between my legs and draped itself neatly across my monofin, weights banging the fin with each stroke. It was hard work getting back up but I made it and at least I didn't lose my nice OMER belt!!

hi

Geez that woulda looked funny monofinning with a belt around your ankles :D

Which other belts were, errr slipping up to your boobs :eek: I thought that all the rubber belts would compress with the suit.

cheers

the other ones that were no good were the one with the metal buckle which I think is marseille belt (not stretchy enough) and one I got from sportalsub which was also not stretch enough. the OMER one came covered in talcum powder and is super stretchy!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT