• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What species are you?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What animal do you most ID with?

• Dolphin

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • Otter

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • Seal

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Shark

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • Other fish

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Human - anything else is New Age w**k

Votes: 37 28.2%
  • Fart Hog

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
i think i woulld definitely be an otter, always joyful and fun, laying on the surface and then with a flick of my tail im off to the depths,
and i also like to eat shells :D although i dont use a rock to break them on my abs :naughty

although i cant dive as deep as some other animals im always having fun.

well, ya i guess that makes sense

Creeping along rocks etc. using only my arms got me nicknamed by Angus before I signed up here...

Definitely an Orca. These are the most beautuful animals in the sea, to me. Seeing them up close is an experience not quickly forgotten. They are majestic, powerful, and a cog in the wheel of life, a fierce force of nature, but gentle and loving. Living in the sea and roaming thousands of miles a year, hunting, playing, and living with reverence to the Earth sounds good to me.
Now I'm waiting for the genetecists to build the ultimate gene-transformer: giving me the right hemoglobin, spleen, eyes, and tail to dive hundreds of feet for 20 minutes, after 5 seconds at the surface.
Where do I line up?
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Backed the wrong (sea)horse ...

I've just found out that otters can't dive below 5m and can only hold their breath for about one and a half minutes. Oh well, I guess that explains a lot about my progress to date. :head

On the subject of underwater animals, a couple of years ago I saw a TV programme about an experiment where some scientists attached a camera to a sperm whale in the hope of filming it smooching with a giant squid. The whale managed to dislodge the camera pretty quick, obviously being camera shy. Anyone know if they've repeated the experiment with any more success?

Bryan

Sea otters can dive deeper than 5m. I don't know what their limit would be though. I'll look it up.

Sperm whales have been recorded to dive down to 1150m - and there is circumstantial evidence to say they can go deeper.

The elephant seal is the deepest diver measured at 1500m.

I am glad to see that the poll considers this a load of new-age tosh. If I were likened to a marine animal, I suspect it would be a walrus.

Originally posted by Ben Gowland
I am glad to see that the poll considers this a load of new-age tosh.

Well I think that should be 31.03% believe it is a load of new-age tosh - the more worrying thing is 68.97% might actually believe it :duh :D

All a bit of fun!

A reincarnated alien dolphin-angel writes ...

Erm ... believe what, exactly? Far as I can see, no one so far has said anything more "out there" than that being another kind of creature would be cool for a while, or that using your imagination might be interesting and healthy. Perhaps more people could use their imaginations. Even some scientists have them, I believe ... ;)

Bryan

Is man not an aquatic specis? Sure, average joe cant hold his breath to save his life, but is not the mammalian diving reflex dormant...not non-existent in man? I mean, really....what do humans adapt to quicker if not water?

neck2deck

welcome to deeper blue

good thinking in the fact that we all have the dive reflex, as to weather it is simply remenance from the time we were waterborne creatures, thats to be debated(well, im not sure on the subject, i guess some people think that this is true)
i sure wish that i was more like any other type of waterborne creature though

hummm, depths beyond our wildest dreams, and up to hours underwater, wouldnt it be great rofl

Dont we spend our first 9 months of existence in liquid? Its for sure no 10 ATA, but its still liquid. I think you are right. Who knows whether its reminiscent genetic information or is it something that will never go away? I firmly believe that the less we use it the more it will slowly go away...as a specis.

Reactions: Pekka
Human...but....

You have human, but you don't have Atlantean (i.e. those of us from Atlantis), what gives?!

Otter Boy....

Hello....I identify with Otterboy and his ritual of only eating fish after he has swum one length underwater...

After diving I also find that I have the spirit in me....

After a good dive I often allow my self a large double CAPTAIN MORGAN and COKE....;)

Waht!

Isee the ratio of new agers is growing....

dolphins, okay I can understand....

otters...what the p**h is attractive about an otter? smelly furry and have funny teeth...

seals? they get clubbed!

sharks get caught in shark nets or on bait drums or turned into shark fin soup...

I will stick to being a hue-man. dankie.

deepest creatures

I like this thread... I personally want to come back as a sea otter. Not just any old otter but a hard core, cold water, salty sea one. They seem to have a great time playing on the surface as well as diving and they way they crack open shellfish with their paws is awesome.

Of course the Deepest Bear in the world will kill me for saying that, I suppose he should be my animal guide! especially as he has just done 101 M!

sea otters rule

Sam
www.deepestbear.com

Sea Otters keep their favorite rock in a pouch in their fur. They use the same rock over and over to break the shellfish.

The males and females stay in separate groups. The reason is because the males like to steal food from the females, so the females keep their distance except for mating!

They live about 20 years and usually die from parasites. They can smell shellfish which are contaminated from man-made crap, and they will avoid contaminated shellfish if they have a choice. The otter is very buoyant because it inhales before it dives, unlike seals which exhale (and are neutrally buoyant). Also, its fur stores air which results in more buoyancy change.

One sea otter was found dead in a king crab trap at -97m. However, normally otters stay above 40m if they have a choice.

They can dive for up to 10 minutes.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Have you ever dove with otters Eric? From what I have seen in documentaries they love to swim with divers. Some day I hope to have the chance.
Jim

Well I obviously voted "seal"

Just yesterday when I was diving, a group of kayakers came by and i could hear one of them go " wow look a seal!" And I thought "yeah a seal with a huge orange dive maker trailing 10m after him, sure very seal like"

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT