• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What stiffness Omer Milleniums for freediving & scuba?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Dave S

Jun 11, 2003
I'm looking at getting a set of Omer Milleniums for both freediving and scuba, but am not sure what stiffness to go for...

Would the Competition ones be too stiff to use on scuba? I do have quite strong legs and dive very streamlined (I'm quite thin and use a wetsuit and BP/Wing)...

Or should I go for the less rigid regular (black/green) ones or the softer Winter ones?

Thanks. :)

Did you asked the prices of blades? They cost very little like 15-20 dollars.Get two different blades, one for freediving other for scuba;)

Originally posted by Murat
Did you asked the prices of blades? They cost very little like 15-20 dollars.Get two different blades, one for freediving other for scuba;)
Hey if they were that cheap that'd be a great idea... But the price the dive store gave me for Omer Millenium blades was more like $125AUS.... :hmm

You've mixed the prices of the fins and the blades, OMERs are modular, that is they can be dismantled into footpockets and blades. Blades are pretty cheap (as Murat said ~$15).

As to your question I seriously doubt you'll feel comfortable using OMERs (even the softest blades) for scuba, though I havent tried.

Cheers.

Stiffer is not always the better.
I have both competition and green blades, and I can say that the green ones are definitly not noodles. I prefer them over the competiton, but that's a pesonal thing I guess.

Can't tell you about scuba though.

Dave,

I used cressi rondine garas for a lot of years of scuba and freediving , they were relatively stiff, much like 2000hfs, but an inch or so shorter. For scuba, because you are pushing so much mass and because dives are relatively short, a stiffer fin is usually better, especially if acceleration is an issue. For most freediving, a softer fin is better. Of course, personal preference trumps the averages.

Connor

Last edited:
hi Dave

My mate is a Dive master and dives everyday he is also a very keen spearfisherman/freediver he made the same choice as you a few years back and he went with the green blades. He loves them although now they are pretty stuffed from being used everyday ie white stress marks all over them. He has taken them down to 36m freediving as well. I would go with the greens.

cheers

Heh, I've taken my greens to the same depth (though that will probably change next time I'll get to Dahab) and can't say they lacked any snap or other properties.

I have them for 2 years now, I assume they have around 80 freediving days on them (2-7 hours in the water each day). Got some of those white marks when they were relatively new, but they still work very well. They get softer with time, but I consider that as an advantage, it makes you put more effort into a wider-slower kick, which is better for me.
I'm definitly not lacking any speed with them, most of my line dives are quite short on time.

I don't think you can wrong with those unless you're very bulky or very scrawny.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT