• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What to buy?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Baka

Oct 13, 2005
Im new to freedving, i currently own a pair of fins but am looking to buy some better ones, any suggestions?

you'd get a gazzillion responses if everyone hasn't talked this up... I like the soft foot pockets of the cressi's.. the 2000hf's or the 3000's. They work well with my super high arch.. but hey, whatever... If you're new and concerned about your leg strength.. get a soft, flexible fin.. a pure carbon type or maybe the cress 2000ld's. if you're a bit stronger and dedicated go for a mid range stiffness fin.. like the 2000hf's, into some serious training.. try out the OMER competitions. I don't have any of the newer brand name fins.. others will have to respond there.. and then there is a famous thread somewhere here on fins if you do a bit of searching...

Reactions: Alison
This is that [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=38963"]famous thread[/ame], it will take you weeks to read through ;)

Reactions: fjohnson
Im looking at the Cressi-Sub Gara 2000 HF Full Foot Fins, are these any good?

I've tried the 3000 LD and they are nice....can't really go wrong if you go long :)

One of my friends that i dive with said that i should by split fins insted of the Gara 2000 HFs, he said that having split fins is like having 4 flippers instead of 2 and you go twice as fast, is this true? or just opinon.

Spilt fins and freediving don't really work as split fins are designed for a faster flutter kick as apposed to the more powerful and slower kick cycles used in freediving. You won't find a single pair of splitfins at a freedive comp (nor I think find your friend there who is giving that advice :) )

Try to find a freediver in your area to advise you on gear and to train with

Just got a new dry suit dui cf-200 custom fit..Also a housing for my canon 20d also a new Mares speargun...

Baka - to reiterate the above : any long fin will do to start with. Popular choices to go for include Sporasub H Dessault // Cressi 2000 range or 3000 range / Omer etc....

Go to a shop and try them on and buy what fits and what you can currently afford.

Don't get anything too expensive (ie avoid carbon) at this stage.

I started out with scuba fins because someone in a local scuba shop recommended them - they were the Mares Quattro fins..... not at all suitable for freediving and I could have saved myself a year of pain and woe if I had found out a bit more about fins for freediving first. SO my advice is DONT get short scuba fins DO get long freeding plastic fins.... the rest is personal choice (colour/fit/budget etc)

Hope that helps - Ed

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT