• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

what to do

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

anomymous3

Apr 19, 2005
I am new to this site, and joined yesterday. I've only posted one forum before, and I was in a big rush so I did not really get to talk. My name is Chris. I'm just about 5'6' and 120lb. The last post I did was about equipment. Now I need to talk about training. I searced high and low on other sites and found nothing, so now I ask you.

I am a reasonably fit swimmer (do not do compitions) with some diving ability (Have been apena diving as long as I was able to swim, and I'm a scuba diver). I'm 14 yr. old too, rather young for this if you ask me but I love it way too much. My maximum dry static time is four minutes, and have been to a depth of 26 ft. although I have none of the right equipment, and I know I could go much deeper with the right stuff, ten pounds too buoyant with wetsuit[ an educated guess]. I've been told that it is extremely good for my age. I think that it is pitifull because once there, I can only stay about 5-10 seconds!!!

I need suggestions on training for someone my age. I am limited by school[ although homeschooled] because I am spending lots of my spare time studying Marine Biology, Zoology, Ecology,ect. { hopefully I will be able to succeed in my future profession, Marine sciences- I know, not the normal kids dream-. I very rarely visit the local pool or gym too [live near NewportNews VA}. With all that said, I need some kind of home training schedule that you would suggest for me. Basically, all I want to do is to be able to spend extended {minute to two minutes} times observing/exploring the depths of around 50 or so feet with ocassional 100ft constant weight dives. I should be able to freedive when our family goes on a scuba trip. I also would like any tips reguarding the subject -Equalizing,extending times,Tequniques,ect.

Lastly, I just need to say that I am impressed with this site and its store -not saying you should listen to me. I'm just a child! Appreciate any other info as well.

Thanks,
Christopher Mills

anomymous3 said:
I am new to this site, and joined yesterday. I've only posted one forum before, and I was in a big rush so I did not really get to talk. My name is Chris.
Thanks,
Christopher Mills

hi Chris!! Welcome to DB. :wave

Welcome to the forums Chris. My boy, 7, is also homeschooled, but fortunately we have access to the ocean so he gets out diving once or twice a week.

Use the Search botton which is at the top of the page and search for static training. That will give you a list of threads in the forums with training tips. Remember, never ever, train or dive in the water unsupervised. You could also run a search on apnea walking which is another good excercise to do if you don't have access to water.

Best of luck!

I believe that I was misunderstood. I am trying to increase freediving times. My goal is to be able to spend 1-2 minutes at 50ft. with ocassional dives to 100ft. Also, try to find out if any freedive schools exist in VA. My diving is for recreational uses only. [I am tired of having to swim down to see one thing and come back up I'd like to be able to explore without any serious stress.]

You weren't misunderstood, the best way to increase your freediing times is to increase your breathhold times. Use the search function and browse the forums to find ways to do this.

Remember recreational or not this sport is dangerous and should not be attempted unsupervised, a freediver lost his life in a pool two weeks ago diving no deeper than 15ft.

Thanks for the help. Out of these forums, I will try to develop a training habit, please send if you have any tips on how to do this. And you need not worry about me being alone in the water, our family goes scuba diving and snorkling together. Further, I try not to dive deeper than they can [about 10ft.] just in case. Once [if] I find a dive school, I will try to find a "mentor" with much more experience than I. Hopefully, he/she can teach me personally as a dive buddy. Also, while reading, I found many references to the "big boys". To whom does this reference refer to?

Last edited:
Not sure who the "big boys" are but the only freediving clinic's, that I'm aware of, in the USA are performance freediving (www.performancefreediving.com) in miami, california and hawaii. I suspect you will have dificulty finding a course locally. Post in the USA/Canada section of the find a dive buddy forum to find someone local to dive buddy with.

You might try working the apnea tables (o2 and co2) once a week each, doing apnea walking a couple of times, and doing some swimming with and without fins when you can get to the pool. What you can fit into a training schedule really depends on what facilities you have access to. Anything that can help develope your increased co2, and decreased o2 tolerence as well as increase your cadio capacity is good stuff. Technique plays a huge role, but that is more difficult to learn without a mentor around.

Thanks, you just reminded me of another question that I forgot to ask. Concerning the apena tables, I have no clue as to what times I should put in that would be of any benefit. If I will be swimming at all, it will be in a YMCA building that my mother goes to for her workout. That is basicaly it besides the other smaller fitness center called "Riverside." When I do get to go, what "schedule" should I do that won't give the lifeguard a heart attack?[hehehe] Concerning a buddy, does finding one over the net really a good idea. Since it pertains to this subject, I shall give you another bit of info about me. I am extremely shy. I have no "friends" my age nor do I want any. The closest thing to that I have is an 18 year old "adult" Whom I have (and he has) considered a brother. We go through scientific ideas where most kids talk about video games. We "brainstorm" any time we have time. You may have trouble beliving this, but many of our conversations are about theories of realitivity {I have to really kill myself to keep up since I barly understand it}. Unfortunally, we moved away. Enough lame history. That said, I need to emphasize that I have trouble with social things. This is why it will be hard to find somebody I trust enough to learn from. Your probleby tired about poor pitiful me, so I shall end this thread to relieve you.

For the apnea tables I generally leave it at whatever loops it is set at, say 8, then adjust the others. To train O2 you want to adjust the max breathhold to about your maximum, this might take some trial and error, but if you think you can hold your breath three minutes try that, then for the setting that says increase in hold time, enter in 15 seconds. For Co2 training you want to decrese the rest time instead of the hold time. I normally leave the breathold at about 90 seconds with a 120 second initial rest preiod, decreasing by 10 seconds a hold. Again play with the settings to find your maximum then keep increasing the time.

For pool workouts I wouldn't recomend any apnea training unless you have a buddy in the pool with you watching whatever your doing. Lifegaurds who occasionally glance your way are not effective safety. If you have no buddy stick with doing laps of front crawl, breaststroke and with your fins on. When you find one send me a pm and i'll email a pool training schedule.

I've found plenty of buddies on the internet, but then I'm a 30 year old guy who outweighs most everyone I come accross so I'm not too worried ;). If you find someone in your area try setting up a meeting at the pool where one of your parents can be present to ease the tension and check the guy (or gal) out. If your parents like diving maybe one of them could show an interest and train in the water with you a couple days a week? My son and I were out snorkling today, it's something we really enjoy doing together, even tho he's not into diving yet, but hey at 7 i'm not sure I would've been up to hopping off a perfectly good boat into 30 feet of water ;)

Anyway best of luck!

Thanks, that helps alot. [HOWEVER, I would have to meet him alone to get to know him/her] [My parents have no way of easing any tension] [At 7, I would have been perfectly fine of jumpping into 30 feet of water] [I tend to feel more at home in the water than in my own home -very strange feeling but plesent nonetheless] There is one issue I would like to discuss. Two days ago, I was doing 4 minutes of dry static with contractions at 2:30. In less than 24 hours, my static time dropped dramitically to about 2 minutes with contractions at 1:30. Can you enlighten me about this fall? (It may be the spring time, I have some bad alergies right now, but I do not know if that causes it since I am inside and it does not bother me as much as outside.)

Last edited:
could be springtime, could be overtraining, try taking a day or two off then doing it again...

anomymous3 said:
Thanks for the help. Out of these forums, I will try to develop a training habit, please send if you have any tips on how to do this. And you need not worry about me being alone in the water, our family goes scuba diving and snorkling together. Further, I try not to dive deeper than they can [about 10ft.] just in case. Once [if] I find a dive school, I will try to find a "mentor" with much more experience than I. Hopefully, he/she can teach me personally as a dive buddy. Also, while reading, I found many references to the "big boys". To whom does this reference refer to?

hi there...
if you post your area you may find a buddy or somebody on this forum who is experienced and willing to dive with you..

there is also forum for freediving buddies...
all the best with your training and safe diving :wave

Thanks of all of your help. If time is in your hand, please read my first forum in the monofin section called "Sebak monofins."Your input is well appreciated.

I have waited several days though my times are still way down. The max I was able to do today and yesterday was three minutes, but was only able to do that once. Have you any suggestions?

do a search on this forum on efattah's posts and put in "juggling variables" and you may find some insights to you drop in performance.

Andy

I just visited a lake where I got to try freediving again. Although I did make it to 47 ft ( deepest for me)., I,ve only been managing 15-20 second dives. Alergies have gone down, and my dry times went up to about 2:30. Still trying and practicing.

Hey Chris,
I can speak from experience (I am a lifeguard and swim instructor) you do not want a lifeguard in charge of your safety. The ratio of competent to incompetent is about 1 to 12. Meaning that if your pool has 12 guards on staff, one of which is watching you and 15 other kids, you have very very bad odds. Be sure to find a competent buddy that knows proper safety and rescue techniques and is watching you and only you. Even if the guard were to see you, which is not likely, the odds of them knowing what to do are still very bad. Lifeguards are of no use, I can promise you that.

Always dive safely, its a dangerous sport no matter what it feels like. Till Later...

~Picksmith

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT