• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What to Replace Canon PS 70 With?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

hyeparis

Oct 31, 2007
Dear friends!
I have lost my Canon Powershot S70 camera in waves when I was diving in Portugal and I am in the market looking for a replacement. Do you know what camera has replaced this model? If none, what Canon camera would be most similar to it? I called Russia Canon office and their dealers - both said production of this camera discontinued and could not tell me what was introduced instead.
Thank you!

Fondueset! Thanks a lot!
What else would you recommend in that price range, may I ask )))?

I personally own an s80 - which is very nice but does not shoot raw like the s70 did. I looked into the G9 awhile ago and did not buy it because the Canon Housing will not accommodate my Inon wet fisheye. At that point I decided to save for an SLR - so I have not shopped point and shoot cameras in awhile.

In addition to higher resolution the G9 is supposed to be faster - which is a huge factor under water. A good friend of mine has one and will be bringing it here to dive with this week and next. After that I should be able to tell you more about it.

Hey! Thanks! I don't quite understand what "shooting raw" means. And sorry to bug, but where would I shop for an underwater box and the camera itself if I were ordering those in US? Thanks again!

Generally Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera has everything - I like the housings Canon makes for their cameras - they are quite small and good for freediving. Raw mode is uncompressed - much more information in the image for post processing through photoshop or whatever.
I have been thinking about selling my S80 with the wide lens but I need to replace it first and the housing for the SLR I want is backordered for another month or so.

I saw this thread and jumped in only to see that Chris already answered. Definately the G9!!!

I will be selling my G7 and upgrading to the G9 before I head up to Telegraph Cove.

:)

Thank you!
Can I ask yet another question.
I am being offered a second-hand powershot s70 - it is two and a half years old
Do folks buy second-hand cameras at all? How much should I pay for it, you think, if it is in a decent condition.

I see a few of them on ebay - one person has a buy it now of $400!! Ridiculous,
There are new Canon S80s new/refurb with warranty on ebay for $270us - I would suggest getting one of those and then get the Canon Housing rather than buying a used s70. The S80 was the first upgrade to the s70 and a great little camera - you can see pictures taken with it on my sites below. I see two of the wp-dc1 u/w housings on ebay as well - one is bidding at $74 us right now - the other is new at $149.80.
I would think certainly under $200 for the s70.

Last edited:
I know this is a week late, but i would second fonduesets rec. I have both the s70 and s80. I loved the raw functionality of the s70. But my s80 is awesome. I have an ikelite strobe with mine and it does some amazing photography. I would definately reccomend a used s80. I bought my current s80 used. It works perfectly. Very happy with it.

I second the idea to make sure to get a camera that you can attach other lenses to. I know some of the g series are incompatable with this function, thats one of the reasons i went with the s 80.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT