• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What Viz will you dive in. (please post!)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What Viz will you dive in?

• 0-9ft

Votes: 61 58.7%
  • 10-19ft

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • 20-30ft

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 30-40ft

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • 40-50ft

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 50-60ft

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 60-70ft

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • 70-80ft

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 80-90ft

• 90-100ft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • +100ft

• Total voters
hi guys,

The vis around wher I live can get very bad around teh islands and sometimes when I have not been for ages i'll dive in about 2m vis (just see the end of my gun fully extended). Big tides, windy this time of year, coral spawn.....

Pekka, I've done a fair bit of diving/snorkelling around Torquay and especially Paignton. It was quite successful with heaps of marine life, wasn't into spearing then. Do you ever get down that way for a spear/dive?

Oz

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbybuttr and thud
hi Oz,

Torquay.. hmm that is not too far, I have done quite bit of diving aroung Exeter where I live and then further down to Corwall, the wiz gets 100 times better when you head west along the coast.
I last summer I did quite bit of fishing in Budley and bit in Cornwall some good Bass and loads of fish that I wouldn't shoot.. like Warasse, and Pollack.. yack..
I should go see Torquay it is a beatiful place.. although I have place to stay in Falmouth, nice place!!

Pekka

Hi Pekka,

The best place I have dived in has been a cove (can't think of the name of it now) but it's between Brixham and Paignton and used by water skiers a lot, pebble beach etc and as long as wind is not blowing into cove, vis is quite good. Also around the headland at Brixham. And around the headland at Fistral in Newquay (either end) is pretty good, but has to be a pretty calm though around Fistral (which isn't normally often).

Have fun

Reactions: stevevidar
Thanks Ozzy,

i'll take look at some of those places in couple of weeks.. I'll let you know how it goes.. hopefully get my first kill with my new gun:p

Pekka

Reactions: stevevidar
I hunt with a camera now. Same thrill, different arsenal. The least amount of vis I have been in is what ever distance my video lights will cover at night. About 20 feet.
I've been several miles off shore in blue water at night, beyond the 1000 fathom line. My bravery and level of fear is directly related to the amount of video tape and battery life left in the camera. I try not to think about what is out there, or what could be attracted to the pulse of the auto focus.

If you can't out swim it then no sense in worrying about it.

Last edited:
Diving in False Bay in bad vis (less than 15ft) at the wrong time of year (in spring the seal pups start making their first adventures into the water) is not a great idea.But with that said if there are fish around there's always that magnetic pull ...........

Hiya

Oh no!!!!!!! Another MAD SARF ERFRIKAN !!!!!:D :D :D

Welcome aboard!!!!:D :D :D

Regards
miles

you're wrong miles, its mad capetonian. were all sane up here where the waters warm, the fish are big and the sharks are small and friendly.

i'm off to sordies this weekend, going to try out the new RA 140:D

Last edited:
Humblest apologies griff!!! :D :D :D

Have fun with your 1.4 RA. Hope you get to try out that new reel of yours!!! Some pictures of reel and fish will be forthcoming, right???

Oh, i PM'd you a couple of days ago.......

I'm off to struisbaai again in about 15hours and 43minutes. Not that i'm counting the time or anything............. :D :D :D :D

Regards
miles

apology accepted:D

the reel is still work in progress, but i'll show you all when its finished.
as for the photos of the fish, i hope there will be boatloads.
i'm going to be driving divers in the morning, and slaying couta in the afternoon (or thats the plan anyway)
its going to be a hellish launch though. equinox, spring low, long weekend with thousands of boats and swimmers:duh

and thanks for the pm,
as for the weekend, the tail are going to be swimming up to you and asking you to scratch that itch, just behind the gills

I will dive in anything, how bad it is depends on how long I stay. That said we don't see to many sharks around. There are sharks but they mostly don't bother us. if the vis is bad you get to hunt flounder, summer or winter depending on when they say you can. when its good it gets up to 20 ant the most on shore dives and if you go out to the "block" its usually more than 15
lance

For me the worst viz day is better than sitting at home. As long as I can see a bit in front of my speartip, I'm happy to be there. I've suprised a few good fish in the murk. And when the vis is "good" around here (maybe 20'-30') I think one thing - halibut.

Good vis in my local lake is 15 feet. When we took our OW class I couldnt see the hand on the end of my arm. So I usually dive in whatever the water offers. Three feet or ninety it doesnt matter since I was not trained in clear water swimming in near mud doesnt seem to bother me.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT