• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Whats the first fish you shot?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
This is the kind of fish I shot... Polar Cod:t
was about 1pound.... small fish, but I was excited as hell for spearing a fish..... and I ate it too...:p

Attachments

• kala.jpg
    kala.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 341
Hey pekka,

How is your T20 is going? Did the trigger mech. cause any problem?

hi

First fish was a 50cm Slatey bream or "Mother in law fish" as it's also known. Not exactly the best eating fish around but I was happy, it was also exciting to see what a fish did when shot ;)

cheers

Hi,

My first fish were a couple of gobies. I was 14-15 years old. It is a practice here in Bulgaria to start spearfishing this kind of fish. They lie on the bottom and there are plenty of them. One can learn basic diving technics and speargun usage while catching them.

Here's a picture of a goby from IMO the best bulgarian spearfishing site.
popche1_shirokoglavo_da.jpg

Rgrds,
Peter

Reactions: thud
A little late, but I guess better than never.....:hmm

The first fish was about 2.5 years ago (roughly) and it was a Carp (a freshwater giant goldfish looking creature for those who don't know or have never seen). The water was hovering around 50 degrees F adn there I was, no wetsuit and a pair of bright yellow US Divers fins. I could stay in the water for around 20min and then have to get out and lay on a rock to warm up... I am a sissy:D . So there I was, in a speedo cruzing this rock drop-off with grand invisions of what was to come between my teeth chattering sessions. I had my dad's pnematic Technisub Ranger and the Carp swim up to within 2 feet of the spear tip and I let him have it. The good ole' pnematic is a beast in itself as within reasonable range (0-8 or so feet) nothing leaves alive.... Since then I discovered these blue water hunters (in a lot of sense the word 'explorer' may fit better).

From that initial time I have started to accumulate gear. I just got a new gun, a Riffe MT1 (which looks to be very promising), and am in the process of planning my first ocean trip in late May to Washington's coast. Hopefully I can encounter some of those lingcod, well see I guess.

From the first time to my soon-to-come times I'd say that the fever only gets worse; this is a sickness I am willing to live with though :duh ....haha.

Until next time,
Justin

Reactions: thud
First fish was a small bream...
I took it with a gun I made by myself...out of a 2' piece split Hoe handle, a 3" piece of an aluminum arrow mounted on the front as a rudimentary barrel, and surgical tubing for a band with a wishbone made out of #4 stainless wire. The spear was the bottom length of a wire coathanger that I had cut out. ( I later graduated to using my dads welding rods....had to use a hammer to knock all the crud off of them first though:)
I hammered the ends flat and with wire snips cut a razor sharp point...the other end I cut an L-shaped groove so I could fit it into my trigger mechanism that I made out of a large office clip. (you know the big black ones)
I knew where the fish were and with my 1st shot hit the fish...freeshaft believe it or not. I found him about 6 feet from where I shot him. Small but it made me smile for the rest of the afternoon and I was hooked.
I was also 12 years old.

wish I still had that gun, I shot alot of fish with it and I know today it would be a great story piece.

I wouldn't have minded shooting a mother in law 1st shot, but alas I had to put up with quite a small red morwong - a stupid fish (for the uninitiated) that just about forces itself onto your spear, and comes back for another go if you miss!! Still, at the ripe old age of 47, I'm going to have an extreme learning curve before I hit the wheel chair or put up with morwongs whilst keeping a lookout for the mother in law

bream, 15cm. accidentally because i aimed at a bigger one, missed it and hit the wee bugger behind.... :duh

cheers, groats

my first fish was a hogfish that just passed the 12" limit. I was so excited i thought i was a champion. unfortunately, the fish was cleaned and was left outside to be eaten by ants :eek: .i felt real bad that I killed it and didn't even eat it.

my first fish was an orange spotted grouper...i started at age 17 and for the first few days i didnt catch anything, but after "killing" a few ballons with neutral bouyancy in my pool i got lucky and stoned a 5 kilo grouper

A butterfish, huge it was. Teeth like you wouldn't believe, it almost had me for a minute there. Had to call a nearby whaling vessel over to finish it for me with a harpoon.
Three pounds if it was an ounce...

I was really lucky with my first fish, I was just moving slowly along the surface and I saw a biggish Bass swim behind a large boulder about 4 mertres away, I guessed it might swim past it so aimed the other side and bingo 9 1/2 lbs. 10 mins later I had another trying to eat the point of my spear, it was ages before it turned side on so I could get a shot and you guessed it instant kill 7 lbs. What a first day! Never beeen like that since but I was chuffed to bits with a start like that.

My first fish was a small silver moony (i think), i was probably 7yrs then, using a broom stick pole with a huge straightened shark hook bolted into the end and secured tightly. That was my ticket to my first spear gun.

well for me i i shot a small chub about 10 inches long. there was a whole school of them feeding on the bottom. i was six years old, i was so young my dad had to cock the gun for me. by the way i still have the gun, a arbalete champion.

Time to give new life to an old thread!! The first fish i shot was a bar jack! these guys are quick as hell, but i always get a couple of them swimmin around and checkin what im doing. I gave it a shot and got one!! mostly because i wasnt seein hogs or rockfish...so i was in a shooting mood. I knew before that things appear larger underwater but i really noticed it then.. it was pretty small.

Attachments

• BarJack-20011004.jpg
    BarJack-20011004.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
My first fish was a sting ray. When I was about 10 I used a sharpend steel peice of re-bar and stabbed him through the head as he lay motionless on the bottom. It was in San Diego bay, my first time getting a rush on spearfishing. Now Im a hopless junkie.... :thankyou :duh

Size? giant, must have been at least 8" from wing to wing. I had a flashback the other day down in Gonzaga bay. I saw two teenagers trying to spear sand bass with a plastic pipe with a knife taped to the end of it. I loaned them my smallest midhandle Riffe and showed them how to use it. 2 hrs later they had gotten their first fish....a stingray!

They where stoked, I felt like I had passed the stoke to another generation.

GTB

Haha- this is a great thread.
My First fish was a demoiselle, about 3inches long. Shot with a polespear while the boat was anchored one day. I feel sorry for that poor fish- but it started me off to where I am today- still learning but now able to get a decent feed.

damaziel! lol

i shot a marble fish at leisure island on chrismasday. it made my day, it was about 20cm long,

and we even filleted it and cooked it up, ate it, tasted absolutly foul, but since it was my first fish, i had to eat it!

My First fish,
We were living near Oran,Algeria.My brother and I were diving the rocks at the end of a local beach me 10,bro 6 ,I had a 75cm gun bro a 50 that I loaded for him. I speared a small(1lb)dusky grouper from the surface that was peeking out from under a ledge,if I had 6" less line the spear would have come up short, but i nailed him(haven,t ever bought anything other than beuchat guns since!)When I swam back to show off,my bro was on the rocks crying.I couldn,t believe my eyes he had shot a spotted ray!Iasked him why he was crying,It was an electric ray and had blasted him when he grabbed the spear!I,ll remember that day forever .crystal clear.30 or so yrs later still proud to be able to catch a feed .
Catchya Stu Newton.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT